Damon's White JLU Rubicon

Jeepin_D

Damon Bungard
I had a great 10 years with my JKU Rubicon on some wonderful adventures but it was time to trade it in. As hard as that was, so far very pleased. Jeep did a good job of tweaking things to fix problems on the JK's and listened to what consumers were doing. Here's some initial pics the day we brought it home.

White JKU Rubicon
Tan Leather
Factory Steel Bumpers
8.4" Nav
Hard Top
33"

It's really even more overland-ready from the factory now than JKU Rubis were. With 33's and steel bumper all the normal Rubicon capabilities, all I'll add for now is a winch and roof carrier and call it good. I did some other small tweaks and will outline them below. New_hood.jpgnew_ledfender.jpgNew_quarterview.jpgnew_sideview.jpgNew_taninterior.jpgnew_tanseatback.jpg

Attachments

• New_tires.jpg
    New_tires.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 118

Jeepin_D

Damon Bungard
Plasti Dipped Hinges and bug deflector

One problem Wranglers always have that wasn't addressed, especially for those of us living on gravel roads are the exposed door hinges. They get chewed up by flying rocks. So while brand new I Plasti-dipped them on the doors, the hood, and made a bug deflector on the front edge of the hood.

Plasti_after.jpgplasti_door_hinge.jpgPlasti_hinges.jpgPlasti_hood_deflector2.jpgplasti_maskedhinges.jpg

Jeepin_D

Damon Bungard
JLU Mopar Door Sill Guards

Added Mopar door sill guards front and rear. Wish they had a little more coverage, but if I need more I'll Plasti-Dip that whole area too.

Mopar_doorsill_front.jpgMopar_doorsill2.jpgMopar_doorsillrear.jpg

Jeepin_D

Damon Bungard
Added JLU Trailer Hitch

Next step was adding a trailer hitch. I didn't the trailering option, probably should have. I mainly use it for hitch carriers like a Pakmule or bike racks, so don't need power right now. The Quadratec JK hitch bolted right on. Ironically it doesn't fit the JK 10th Anniversary/Hard Rock bumpers, but does the JLU factory steel. The key thing is finding a hitch with the nuts for the 4 bolts welded to it. Look under your JL to see what's there first. In mine, it was two bolts holding a spacer plate. Remove the 2 bolts and spacer plate, press the hitch onto the frame, and reinstall the 4 bolts that came with it. Very easy. I will wire a 4-pin trailer connector once one becomes available.

JL_hitch.jpg

Jeepin_D

Damon Bungard
Added Mopar JL Roof Rack

last mod for now was installing the Mopar JL Roof Rack. Another very easy install and they did a good job padding the tower's mating surfaces and widening them to spread the load out on the hard top rain gutters. I will eventually add a Yakima Offgrid basket once they are available later this Spring, or the Mopar cargo basket.

I had a Gobi on my JKU, and it was great but overkill for my purposes now. I would consider this a 'light/medium' rack that will work well for hauling duffels, empty coolers, or occasional kayak. Not suitable for a roof top tent but I tend to tent it on the ground anyways with dogs and family.

Mopar_racktower.jpgMopar_racktop.jpgMopar_rack_after.jpg

goinsurfin

Observer
Hey there, overall your ride looks cool! I have the tires on my G500 and love them! However it is for sale and now considering this Jeep model, but I'm seeking out more assurance on adding a yakima 1A tower type rack for bikes, boards, Yakima boxes, Road shower and ARB awning to the hardtop. Do you suspect there are any other limitations other than a RTT and full platform rack on that hardtop? I'm not into hitch racks...

Thanks!

ratled

Adventurer
I wouldn't do it but here is a screen capture from Way of Life and his new JL stock on 37's.

ratled

Screen Shot 2018-03-14 at 6.57.09 AM.jpg

Jeepin_D

Damon Bungard
First JLU Rubicon Trail Outing

Here's some pics from my first local trail exploration on a public Wildlife Management Area

IMG_1404.jpgIMG_1405.jpgIMG_1406.jpgIMG_1407.jpgIMG_1408.jpg

Jeepin_D

Damon Bungard
Added Mopar Premium Rock Rails

I swapped the OEM rock rails for Mopar's new Premium Rock Rails for the JLU's. Provides about a 4" step for better access to the roof, they are bedlined from the factory, and should help keep rocks and mud off the sides and handles so bad. The highline flares on the new Rubis really sling it and the wife doesn't dig grabby muddy door handles so much.

Mopar_premium_rails_side.jpgrail_step.jpgrails2.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles