Power Windows
Power Door Locks (Cab) w/Keyless Entry
Power Adjustable Petals
Telescoping Power Mirrors
A/C
Cruise Control
Kenwood Stereo w/Bluetooth
Engine Block Heater
Ambulance Engine Package (Dual Alternators), Auxiliary Engine/Transmission Coolers.
Air Ride suspension w/Dump feature
Air Ride 3 Gallon Air Tank
Air Ride Compressor modified to run as On-Board Air
Access/Passthrough from Cab to Box (Somewhat rare on the Class 1 Truck versions)
Wheelen LED Flashers/Strobes
Wheelen Sirens & PA System
Wheelen Exterior Scene Lights (both sides & rear)- light up your campsites at night!
Power Step (Side Door- Ambulance Box)
Backup Camera & Interior Camera; ~5” Screen mounted in place of rear-view mirror
Pre-Wired with Lowrance GPS Antennas on Cab & Box Roof.
Pre-Wired for CB or VHF Radios w/Antennas on Box Roof.

Electrical:
Dual Group 27 Deep Cycle Batteries for House Battery System (New in June 2017)
Pre-Wired with 110v Plugs (6+ between in Box and Cab)
Automatic Switching Device between Wired 110v Shore Power & Onboard Inverter
800 Watt Inverter
Automatic Battery Isolater w/Combination Feature (Allows engine charging of both Engine & House batteries, but isolates House batteries after engine shut down to eliminate Engine battery discharge. Includes function to ‘combine’ both sets together for emergency engine starting if required.)
Hard Wired/Switchable Dual USB Charger in Box
Blue Sea Ampmeter for House Battery Draw
Generic Voltmeter/Battery Gauge for House Batteries
Battery Tender (Lower Amperage) for Engine Batteries
Progressive Dynamics Power Supply/Charger (45a Amperage) for House Batteries

Box Interior:
Hoseline Heater & A/C unit built in; will heat or cool from 55-85 degree thermostat.
All overhead fluorescent lights updated to LED- It’s insanely bright inside with all units switched on.
ARB Fridge, wired for 110v and 12v.
ARB Fridge Slide (sideways in and out of a cabinet)
Slide Out RV Sofa
Toyota Sienna Reclining Seat (with foot rest and shoulder seat belt) on swivel base to replace attendant seat.
Custom Curtains for all windows

Box Exterior:
(7) Exterior Cabinets, (1) with passthrough to the inside of the box, and (2) as the electrical system and OBA system. (1) cabinet has ski racks built in for winter adventures.
Paint in good condition; some minor paint flaking from the removal of the Ambulance logo/lettering (see rear door for most obvious flaking).
Scrapes in the Driver’s rear corner of the box.
No rust!
All exterior doors, minus the Electrical distribution panel, are keyed alike. Keys are included for all exterior doors.

Maintenance/Mechanical:
Radiator replaced at 125K miles (less than 250 miles ago), with OEM parts; coolant all new.
EGR Cooler Temps diagnosed and within spec.
Regular maintenance at Ford Dealerships, including:
Turbos Replaced at 32K (per CarFax)
Heads Replaced at 58K (per CarFax)
Tires are new/nearly new, I am guessing under 2000 miles. Recently rotated.
Brakes inspected and nearly new.
Oil changed ~1000 miles ago.
Replaced Vacuum pump that was running longer than I liked.
ECU voltages check out as per spec.

Cab Interior:
2 Seats, Grey Cloth
Ambulance Switch Stack, modified to have one switch panel; upgraded with 4 cupholders in the console + 2 in the dash.
Kenwood Bluetooth Stereo
Factory Aux Switch panel, Unused.
Vinyl Floor for easy clean up

Bought this truck to replace a 4x4 Sportsmobile that we loved (especially for winter adventures), but wanted a bit more room to sleep & transport more gear in a still rugged platform. Searched long and hard for a 4x4 ambulance (didn’t want to do an aftermarket conversion) and finally found this one, fresh out of service from the rural mid-west. Upon arrival, it went to a known diesel shop for full diagnostics and radiator replacement. As per the service records we have, we knew the EGR had been replaced at some point so was not surprised to find that the temperature gradients were still within spec. Mechanically, there are no question marks- fluids all new, tires new, brakes newish, etc. Anything that was questionable was replaced as I didn’t want to find out weak spots hundreds of miles from anywhere.
The original electrical system was a single set of batteries for both House and Engine; I built a separate House battery system using dual 27 Marine batteries, Battery isolators, 0 gauge wiring and correct 12v circuit breakers and fuses (according to application). The system has enough reserve power to use the Fridge and a reasonable amount of lighting for several days without drawdown. There’s provision for shore power (we used a Honda generator, not included), to charge up without using the engine if needed. Solar hookup would be easy for complete off the grid usage.

The interior was mildly updated, including a pull-out sofa bed in place of the bench seat, and a Toyota Sienna reclining seat on a swivel base. Factory seat belts remain in place, and you can transport 3 on the bench, 1 on the reclining seat, 1 on the side seat and 2 up front for a total of 7 people legally. One cabinet was cut to make space for an ARB fridge slide and ARB fridge, which opens laterally and can be used while the truck is in motion (note- there’s a pass through from Cab to Box). All the overhead lights, formally fluorescent, have been updated to 12v LED bulbs. This took some research to find some bulbs that would work in this application. There’s an insane amount of light with very little power draw. The side door has a power step for easy access, and all windows have custom made darkening curtains to keep it dark to allow for easy sleeping in.

The exterior is in reasonable shape- paint still shows extremely well on the cab, however there is evidence of hail damage thanks to the great storm of May 2017 in Denver; the top of the cab and hood and plastic trim on the cowl show damage, and there’s one dent a piece on one fender and door. No glass was broken, and no damage occurred to the top of the ambulance box as per two local commercial truck body shops. Replacing the hood would hide 99% of the damage if you cared; the color is Oxford White which is the standard fleet color for Ford. The Box is a refit from an earlier ambulance (date unknown), however it is in good shape. Paint is clear and glossy, with only minor issues from the removal of the Ambulance lettering/stickers that left a few exposed spots in the aluminum (see pictures). No rust anywhere on the body and frame, but some minor corrosion on the bottom of the aluminum doors on the box, and a scrape in the rear driver’s side of the box.

In short, this Ambulance is awesome. No other way to describe it. I wouldn’t hesitate to jump into it and drive across the country, exploring along the way, and it’s been checked out mechanically to do so. It has enough creature comforts to make you feel at home while driving at any speed (it will do 75-80+ just fine, though I find it’s happiest fuel economy wise around 65-70), yet also has 4x4 to take you to the harder to reach locations or through inclement weather. The Rear Air suspension and dump feature makes leveling easy- you get where you’re going then flip the switch to dump some air to level out the box; means you don’t need to find a completely level spot or carry too many leveling bricks with you. There’s SO MUCH storage both interior and exterior that you never feel cramped inside; we carry nearly everything in the exterior compartments (including skis!) and only need minimal things inside that easily stow in the various available cabinets. We’ve got a few life changes coming up this year and I don’t anticipate using it nearly as much as we thought, so considering finding it a new home with someone that can take it on adventures.

SOLD!

IMG_0150.jpg

Last edited:

formgiver

Look great! Very interested! What sort of mpg are you getting? Have you taken it on any long trips and clocked it? Lastly have you had any issues with the 6.0L turbodiesel? They are notorious for failures and maintenance issues.

tenmile

Thanks @patoz! Quite a compliment coming from you, as your camper trailer conversion thread as been a source of motivation!

@formgiver- Great questions. I estimate I'm getting mid-teens if I keep it to a dull roar (65 mph), and low teens once it bumps over 70+. I haven't clocked it formally as quite frankly, the tank is so huge (40 gal) it takes forever to burn through, but I'll add here and there when Diesel is cheap.

No issues with the 6.0L; when I did the radiator I contemplated doing the EGR delete but the Diesel shop (very reputable here in town) showed all the EGR temps within spec so I left it. We suspect it was replaced at some point in the truck's history. I can tell you that it starts without issues and without being plugged in, at below zero temps, and runs/drives extremely strong.

tenmile

Had a request for some measurements for the Box, so wanted to update the thread:
Box Exterior: 148" Long, 85" Tall, 95" Wide
Box Interior: 140" Long (little bit longer if you go through the man door into the cab), 48" wide between the cabinets (i.e. the center open area), and 69" Tall. The footwell on the side Man Door is another 10" deep to bring it to 77" tall there, and it's 69" wide from the far wall to the man door (i.e. if you're looking in the back, it's 48" wide until the end of the RV sofa, then it becomes 69" wide before you hit the fridge cabinet).

Vehicle is located in Denver, CO, and I can help with airport arrangements if needed. It's titled as a 2007 Ford F-450 depending on your state and/or financing requirements.

patoz

Expedition Leader
congrats.gif On the sale!

Do you by any chance, have a link or brand name and model number of the pull-out sofa bed you used? That looks like the exact same thing I need, because I want to keep the storage underneath if possible.

I was planning on doing the slat bed thing, but that's a lot of work which I would like to avoid if can. If I had a shop to work in it wouldn't be so bad, but I don't.

tenmile

Thank you! The buyer has big plans for it and I am hoping it gets to see many new fun adventures....

I looked all over the sofa and couldn’t find a tag on it unfortunately. That said, I bought it as a new removed unit from a Toy Hauler, and when I looked there were companies that did nothing but stock RV surplus sofas just like this one. Might want to keep an eye out on Craigslist and such as well.

patoz

Expedition Leader
Thank you! The buyer has big plans for it and I am hoping it gets to see many new fun adventures....

I looked all over the sofa and couldn't find a tag on it unfortunately. That said, I bought it as a new removed unit from a Toy Hauler, and when I looked there were companies that did nothing but stock RV surplus sofas just like this one. Might want to keep an eye out on Craigslist and such as well.

I have looked at a lot of those sofas designed for toy haulers, utility and service trailers, race car haulers, etc., but most of them are too long (6' max for my space) or have legs or require clearance space underneath for the mechanism to work. I'm looking for something that will sit on a flat surface and still be able to pull out to make a bed.

Thanks for checking on it for me!
attachment.php

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles