Why did you choose your specific pop-up camper?

DVexile

Adventurer
Flip-Pac for us mainly because:
  • Wanted a mid-size truck to be able to get down the kinds of roads we like to explore. Specifically a Tacoma which have almost zero payload so weight was absolutely critical. Every other actual pop-up camper puts the chassis *way* over GVWR once loaded up for camping. The Flip-Pac is just 290 lbs. Everything else is about 600 lbs before you even add features.
  • We camp in deserts and so the Flip-Pac's main weakness - not the best setup for wet or cold camping - isn't a problem for us.
  • OMG the space available when open! The thing is just huge. Lots of space for a five year old to bounce around in.
  • Did I mention deserts already? Ventilation is amazing.
  • Like feeling a little bit outdoors and so the Flip-Pac being more of a tent than a camper works well.
  • We are usually exploring and moving during the day so the Flip-Pac is primarily a place to sleep or potentially cook and hole up for just the evening if their are bugs or wind that make the outdoors unpleasant. Thus we don't need a comfy built-out interior to spend a whole day in if we were in a static camp for days in poor weather.
We hope this setup will serve us well for the next 15 to 20 years. We don't have time to camp more than say five or six weeks per year and we can often alter plans to avoid weather not compatible with the Flip-Pac. Works really well for us given the conditions and use described above.

After the kiddo is out of the house and we are retired or semi-retired the current plan is to probably change to a full-size and go with a true pop-up "camper" like a FWC with more of a built out interior. We would be out on the road for longer travel and often need to hole up for bad weather days or just rest days. We would likely also get out well past the desert southwest we primarily explore now and thus would get into wetter and colder weather ill suited to the Flip-Pac. Plus we will be older and probably would like a cozier setup.

lanefj40

Friend had it and moved up to a Northstar. He wanted $850 for it, even my wife thought it would be stupid to not get it. Mid-90's Jayco.

WangosTango

Went with ATC. Had a 95 LiteCraft for 7 years. Loved it, went anywhere the truck went.
Planned and saved for the new one, ATC let me design it the way I wanted it. Still cheaper than a lot of used pop-up tcs.
Have close to 100 nights in it so far. Couldn't be happier.

Attachments

• truck shot 1.jpg
    truck shot 1.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 95

Umtaneum

Adventurer
Went with a Phoenix, after looking long and hard at a FWC Grandby. I wanted a bit more customized options than FWC was willing to do, and I was really impressed with the roof raising mechanism on the Phoenix. The roof mechanism was a big deal to me after living with a Starcraft for many years, and as someone noted above the mechanism is the weak point on those campers. No more! Now I have other weak points :(

Reactions: IPA

CCH

Adventurer
After years of trailer campers of all sorts, we recently bought our first truck camper. Mine was a total compromise with the wife. She wanted self-contained and actually preferred a hard side. I wanted something that would at least fit in the woods if not on serious trails. Had the luxury of getting a 3/4 ton truck with the camper in mind rather than trying to find a camper to fit a less capable (weight capacity) truck. Ended up with a used, but in good shape, Northstar 850SC and time will tell if it works for either of us. I would prefer something a little "less". She would probably like a little "more." If you already have a truck, that is going to be a real determining factor as half tons and compact trucks have a very narrow range of suitable campers. Fortunately, they tend to be high quality, off road worthy models (Hallmark, FWC, etc.)

Reactions: IPA

jcsurfs

Flip-Pac for us mainly because:
  • Wanted a mid-size truck to be able to get down the kinds of roads we like to explore. Specifically a Tacoma which have almost zero payload so weight was absolutely critical. Every other actual pop-up camper puts the chassis *way* over GVWR once loaded up for camping. The Flip-Pac is just 290 lbs. Everything else is about 600 lbs before you even add features.
  • We camp in deserts and so the Flip-Pac's main weakness - not the best setup for wet or cold camping - isn't a problem for us.
  • OMG the space available when open! The thing is just huge. Lots of space for a five year old to bounce around in.
  • Did I mention deserts already? Ventilation is amazing.
  • Like feeling a little bit outdoors and so the Flip-Pac being more of a tent than a camper works well.
  • We are usually exploring and moving during the day so the Flip-Pac is primarily a place to sleep or potentially cook and hole up for just the evening if their are bugs or wind that make the outdoors unpleasant. Thus we don't need a comfy built-out interior to spend a whole day in if we were in a static camp for days in poor weather.
We hope this setup will serve us well for the next 15 to 20 years. We don't have time to camp more than say five or six weeks per year and we can often alter plans to avoid weather not compatible with the Flip-Pac. Works really well for us given the conditions and use described above.

After the kiddo is out of the house and we are retired or semi-retired the current plan is to probably change to a full-size and go with a true pop-up "camper" like a FWC with more of a built out interior. We would be out on the road for longer travel and often need to hole up for bad weather days or just rest days. We would likely also get out well past the desert southwest we primarily explore now and thus would get into wetter and colder weather ill suited to the Flip-Pac. Plus we will be older and probably would like a cozier setup.

Attachments

• IMG_20170817_184924636.jpg
    IMG_20170817_184924636.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 40

jcsurfs

Yep, I concur on most of your points regarding the flippac. I bought this new from FRP, and it has given us so much enjoyment over the years.

driller

old soul wanderer
At the time I wanted a FWC Hawk. So we went to see one at the rv show. When my wife went to go inside she caught her diamond ring on the handle. She turned around and said OH HELL NO. So we ended up with a 850SC Northstar. It's been a very nice camper and has gone on lots of trips. The wife is happy and that is important.

Chorky

Observer
This is a great thread! Good thoughts and info here. Not to hijack but can anyone add in their decisions on camper length in terms of if they stuck with their normal truck bed length or went longer/shorter and why?

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
2000 Northstar TC800. 17 years old now and the canvas is getting tired but all components work fine. The underbed storage and access to the wheel wells fore and aft sure help. A made up bed with sheets and blankets tops it off.

Attachments

• IMG_0400.JPG
    IMG_0400.JPG
    474.4 KB · Views: 36

bobmono

Observer
I was between a Northstar TC650 and FWC Hawk. In the end I went with the Northstar because it was a little cheaper, seemed to have a bit more storage (you can get a lot under the bed), I like the Queen size bed and the layout of it (either person can crawl out without bothering the other), and I could not find one negative or bad review about Northstar online - which is crazy.

It's been really good, I've made a few improvements a long the way, and I have taken it to some fun off road locations without any major issues.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier