Is U.S getting New Montero by 2020 ?

IncorpoRatedX

Explorer
Toasty makes a good point...even if the new Montero or even Montero sport is over the $50k mark brand new, after one year or so the resale value will plummet which makes me more affordable and plus after working car dealers, buying a new car is not the greatest investment as the value goes down anyways once it drives off the lot.

Its safe to say Mitsubishis resale value won't be high until they really solidify the brand image to the mass market like Toyota and Honda maybe down the road....but for the foreseeable future, for those looking for a used Mitsubishi will get the best bang for the buck.

I would love to see a new Montero / Montero Sport....as long its not water down version of what they were. If its something like the Pathfinder, I would be seriously be disappointed.

It's worth noting that this forum, facebook groups for monteros, our own personal groups of friends for some of us (i'm guilty) is a giant echo-chamber.

I mean that in a best way possible. We're all supportive of our brand, Mitsubishi, we all share similar opinions on the trucks and what we want and dont want, however... consider the following;

Outside of this forum, our pages, our echo-chamber fun-house... is a real world, there's a lot of people out there willing to spend serious coin on a superior vehicle. Most of us here didn't buy our Montero's new. We can say it's because we didn't know about them in 1995 or we were too young, but we bought a used vehicle for any long list of check boxes, and here we are, speculating on what the opinions of a wide range of new-car buying folks want. Now, i'm not saying you folks dont buy trucks new...

But, Look at the raptor... it exists because ford knew it would sell. Ludicrous as it is. (I think they're pretty cool)

Now, Take that Raptor idea and back off the throttle a bit to where Toasty was running, a nice Montero Sport, 3.8 mivec, diesel option, they'll be faced with major hurdles...

if they want to get on board with toyota, nissan and other truck makers... they'll have to bring the American steel... This means American workers. You've seen the steel tariffs, yah? no? K, well that's gonna drive up importing materials, importing trucks has it's own ball of wax, i think that's been explained by a lot of folks and if not, google 'importing trucks chicken tax'

how'd that bad to bone little max get here? Who? The Mighty Max. The best darn small pick-up I've ever owned. I love them. A lot of folks love them, they snuck in with a funky bed, it was assembled stateside and taxes were avoided. They managed to make a good, affordable, reliable, (get the diesel, or that 8v 2.4 if you're shopping yo! non interference!) compact pick-up with a diesel option... HELLO THERE <3 - Ok, back on track... so apply the apples to those oranges and you'll be talking about American manufacturing of Montero Sport (L200 chassis) in American factories.

Now.. I think ole' Jeff Diaz, new MMNA CEO as of April freakin' fools, haha... is smart enough to know who the guys are who know these trucks best... He was around chrysler for the DSM days, the DSM's were great and the guys in IL did nice work for just boom, start building a japanese sleeper car, but there's new manufacturing process in play these days, and those guys who know the Montero the best? Those are the guys already building them, he'll probably (hopefully) have the truck sent over in systems, chassis with powertrain maybe, cab and bed separate, maybe bed made stateside. Then, let the good ole' UAW boys of wherever's cheap laborsville (cough: I dont think you sold that normal plant, did ya?) boot up a marriage process.

That's all my speculation, so take it for whatever it's worth. I don't have any inside track, I'm not some smart guy, I'm just a dude that grew up in Michigan, where automotive manufacturing didn't just make life great for the UAW guys from the big-three, it was great for everyone, every supporting company within a 350 mile range that built components and bits and pieces of the vehicles that were put into the final machine, that helped make the local economy great.

My friends, their parents, my family, all groups of people who worked for either the automotive industry or segments that supported it. My great grandfather turned wrenches on the Studebakers in the Studebaker factories I later used as industrial ruin backdrops for photos of my Mitsubishi's.

Nature swallowing up what the government wouldn't bail out...

IMG_3407.jpg

Those days aren't gone. But you don't get there by flipping a switch tomorrow and gearing up an entire area to build a truck they know nothing about. Bring the Montero Sport in segments, teach our American gearheads what it takes to build a quality, 12 time Dakar champion of a machine, explain it all to them, then let the guys that run that show start to source the credible parts in America, eventually, powertrain manufacturing could drift over, or more, it all depends on what the people surrounding whatever location you'd choose in the states, can support. TL:DR? Contain, control, inform, research, release.

So, in the end, I say, keep telling your friends about how your Montero is the best thing you've ever owned and you wish there was a new one. When people ask for a good, used SUV, tell them about the Montero and the Montero sport... Why don't more of you guys build sports? There's a ton of parts that just swap over... anyhow... Keep posting on social media telling mitsu to make a new one. Diaz listens to consumers, it's one of the things he says about himself, so, if he's a Man of his word on any level, he'll hear a bit from the squeaky wheels, there's enough fan-boys yelling evo, but they've been burned on that road and, besides, he's a truck guy...

That's my 'writing on the wall' $.02

Attachments

• IMG_6895.JPG
    IMG_6895.JPG
    200.7 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

JakeP

Mitsubishi can get right back on track with a new Evo and a new Montero. Unfortunately in this current climate, I just don't see this happening. But hey, the Eclipse Cross has great marks. Unfortunately for us enthusiasts, those sell to the masses.

MrGalantguy

Mitsubishi Loyalist
Its getting old hearing all these folks "bring the Evo" back...and I bet 99% of those people wouldn't buy one brand new. Mitsubishi just focusing on the SUV/CUV segment is smart for them, lets them concentrate on one segment and focus their budget on that segment which results in better engineering and design and materials rather on spreading their budget on multiple segments.

Our Monteros (Gen 1-3) kinda sell themselves in curiosity and people inquiring in them since not many are on the roads which makes them stand out a bit. I have seen people observe, take pics, point and smile at my Montero in traffic. I work in a tourist area so there is a lot of people from out of the country that have Pajeros/Shogun/Monteros in their markets and seem to be happy seeing one on the U.S roads and have pictures taken with it.

I think with Mitsubishi here in the states with their small line only consisting of CUV/SUV's...consumers are identifying Mitsubishi to that segment. Along with what you get for the price of what they are currently offering, consumers are gravitating and expanding their "shopping list" to look at Mitsu....its translating to increased sales year to year for the past few years. I am all for seeing them add a real Mid/Full size SUV to their lineup as I would be a potential buyer for either a new Montero or Montero sport. I really hope though they keep them still offroad capable like what they did with the current generation Montero Sport. Modern design and technology...but very capable still offroad for those light to heavy offroad enthusiasts.

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
I've never been the first to get ANYTHING. I'm not that guy waiting in line for the next tech gizmo but I will sell everything I have and buy the new Sport if they bring it here. It's been out for a couple years now, proven itself offroad and it's not a bloated street queen despite it's looks. It's almost exactly the size of the Gen 2 Montero, not too big and not too small (first Gen Sports were too small for me). They went back to the known with this truck, Aisin transmission (8 speed), 3.0 MIVEC (super reliable and rumored to get a huge HP boost for US market), latest version of the 8" front 9.5" rear axles found in our Gen 2's but with modern suspension and steering, bigger brakes, more towing capacity and factory offroad options like real skidplates, rear locker, snorkel and various all weather interior upgrades.

Even if you can't afford a brand new one (I can't but I'm determined to) buy a used one as soon as the price hits your comfort level. This will keep new ones flowing, if original owners can sell their old trucks at a decent price they'll buy another new one. Try your best not to fan boy it to death either, if it's not for you just enjoy it's existence and maybe someday buy a wrecked one to resto mod your old machine with this new drivetrain. The car guys were stupid and killed their car lines by trash talking the new models, average Joes research their purchases sometimes and if the enthusiasts hate their own car it must be terrible. 10 years later... "these are great! Too bad there aren't more of them." Remember guys, they won't offer the high performance models if base models aren't selling. So when you preach on every forum about how terrible and rough riding the new 4x4 is think about 10 average joes crossing off that base model or fancy moms not getting the optioned out Limited/SR.

If we get the new Sport you guys can count on my support of this platform for tech and modifications.

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
If Mitsubishi were to build pickup trucks here that might help them be more competitive much like Toyota and Nissan have done however I don't think it makes sense with a new Montero. One reason is the American workers seem to have a really hard time building Japanese cars with the same quality especially Mitsubishis. I feel like the effort of rebuilding the brand and shaking the image of unreliable cars would be wasted on another run of them. They need to show the American consumer these cars are every bit as reliable as a Toyota. also my understanding is that the 4 door Montero doesn't have the "Chicken Tax" working against it (being a passenger vehicle) so there isn't much ground to gain by building it here in my opinion.

Does anyone know if/when the "Chicken Tax" expires? The Mighty Max was a great selling machine at one point and everyone I meet that knows what they are remembers them fondly.

MrGalantguy

Mitsubishi Loyalist
The "chicken tax" exists still...thus why Toyota (Other than the 4 Runner and previous FJ cruiser) and Nissan trucks/SUVs are build here in the U.S. Mitsubishi's lineup is all imported from Japan now since the Normal plant has closed down. Unless somehow Nissan retrofits some of the factory assembly lines in their US factories to build Mitsubishi Monteros and Sports...they are going to be imported from Japan. Problem why Mitsubishi hasn't made move to sell them in the N.A market is engineering them for left hand drive configuration, meetings U.S DOT requirements and the "chicken tax" tariffs.

I am with you Toasty.....if the New Montero Sport were to come here, that would be my wife new vehicle for sure!

IncorpoRatedX

Explorer
Third that, if that rolled onto lots here, I'd sell literally every vehicle I own and come up with the cash to own one. Especially if diesel was an option.

rajin cajun

Adventurer
Many of my friends and the younger generation have never heard of a Montero. Mitsu has a lot of work to do. There are a plethora of Outlanders in the Albuquerque Metro area. Mitsu hasn't brought the PHEV (hybrid) NA yet. Suppose to be here in summer 2017, then fall 2017. The PHEV is well liked in Europe.
The 2018 Montero's are in the early 40,000 range (fully loaded) in Mexico. I paid close to 35,000 including tax, title, license, and extended warranty in 94 for my SR. I still have the original sticker filed away. If I recall, there was a $3,000 luxury tax Bill Clinton instituted on Japanese vehicles purchased in US, due to the trade deficit with American vehicles in Japan.

So, that's not a bad price considering inflation, in my humble opinion. Still a lot of money for me. I worked a lot of overtime to get my Montero. My first new car was a Eclipse. Don't laugh~

Cheers,

RC

MrGalantguy

Mitsubishi Loyalist
Check this out Vehicles manfactured in the U.S

Toyota, Nissan and Honda build majority if not ALL their trucks and SUVs here in the U.S. The only imported SUV/Truck is the Toyota 4runner and previously also the FJ cruiser was the only other imported Japanese truck/suv.

This allows them to avoid the "chicken tax".

Mitsubishi now imports all their lineup from Japan...at their current state is more economical for them to do so.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne