Is U.S getting New Montero by 2020 ?

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
We need the new Sport bad, they had one it more here testing before the Nissan takeover but Nissan immediately canned all Mitsubishi's North American R&D. Hopefully we get that truck and not some cheap imitation Nissan.

Toasty

86'd, I'm sure a select few were kept and assimilated into the Nissan camp (hopefully). Sure would be a bummer to get a Montero badged Nissan anything stateside, i think Mitsubishi has too much pride in the Montero name to allow it on anything unworthy. It's their flagship vehicle AND the new Sport is certainly worthy of carrying on it's legacy. In my opinion it could very well be the successor that would give Gen 1&2 guys what they want and Gen 3&4 guys what they want. The ruggedness of the original Monteros with the sophistication of the current Monteros and all of the offroad ability you'd expect from any Montero.

Montynv

Observer
Then that would for sure , not be MY montero!!

is it true that the LS gen 1 was close to 30K new?
i had heard rumors. this little gem? 65-70K

I have the original window sticker from our first Montero it was an 89 LS with auto and it was $19,900. I think the only option it didn't have was the sunroof.

Toasty

I optioned out a new Sport (Mitsubishi Australia) with everything offroad, locking diff, skid plates, snorkel, rubber floor mats, cargo mat, neoprene seat covers and some other stuff and it came in just under 37k after currency conversion. Hopefully they let us option out base and mid trim models, nothing like being forced into leather and chrome just to get a locking diff.

Now even if they are expensive you guys need to remember that they are Mitsubishis so in a few short years they will be available for 1/4 of the price on the used market.

MrGalantguy

Mitsubishi Loyalist
Toasty makes a good point...even if the new Montero or even Montero sport is over the $50k mark brand new, after one year or so the resale value will plummet which makes me more affordable and plus after working car dealers, buying a new car is not the greatest investment as the value goes down anyways once it drives off the lot.

Its safe to say Mitsubishis resale value won't be high until they really solidify the brand image to the mass market like Toyota and Honda maybe down the road....but for the foreseeable future, for those looking for a used Mitsubishi will get the best bang for the buck.

I would love to see a new Montero / Montero Sport....as long its not water down version of what they were. If its something like the Pathfinder, I would be seriously be disappointed.

Thirty-Nine

Explorer
I think it would be suicide to come out with a $50,000+ SUV before getting its brand image established. Look at Hyundai and Kia. They introduced their 10 year, 100,000 mile warranty (which Mitsubishi already has, but doesn't tell anyone about) to quash consumers' fears of reliability. They started making more refined, better cars, spent a bunch of money marketing their image, and suddenly people stopped thinking all they made was the Excel. Eventually, they worked their way up to the Genesis and Equuis, which could cost upwards of $80,000 USD. Now, they've spun off the high-end to its own brand. But had Hyundai decided to offer a $60,000 model before consumers trusted the brand, I would be the farm that it would've failed big time.

Like MrGalantguy says, they need to solidify their brand image to the mass market. Decide what they want to stand for, spend the money to market it, and get people into dealers. If they can do that (along with offering up appealing product), then they'd have a recipe for success in my not-so-expert opinion. I know it'll be way, way, way harder than it sounds.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles