2006 LR3 Oil Question

Going to change my oil and was wondering what filter and oil recommendations are out there?

Is there any other fluids folks would suggest changing, truck has 86K on it?

Thanks

krick3tt

Adventurer
I get mine (Mann oil filter for my 07) from Atlantic British, comes with the drain plug replacement. I try to stick with the OEM stuff as often as possible. Especially for the engine and gear mechanisms. This thing costs too much to screw it up with cheap stuff. The recommended Castrol oil for the engine.

sunrisehiker

Adventurer
I use K&N 1014 as it is a little longer then genuine and has the ability to apply correct torque per specs thru socket type cap on top.Been using a 5W30 conventional oil for years and have no problems at all. 240 000 miles and counting...

Abran

Observer
I've used Royal Purple and BG petrospecs full synthetic.

I started sending my oil out for testing at Blackstone laboratories.

First at 5k intervals switching between both, great results.

Second at 6k intervals switching between both, great results.

Third at 7k intervals switching between both, great results.

I'm now working on 8k interval with the BG petrospecs.

DiscoDavis

Explorer
Castrol Edge 5w-30

for people who care about torque, just go hand tight on filter. Used Hp1014 also, just because it was a decent price.

johnsoax

Adventurer
Castrol Edge 5W-30, I've switched to the high mileage formula, same cost, and I have 145k miles. I also use a Purolator Pureone PL15317 filter.

Thanks for the information. Does the engine take synthetic? I have no history on the truck, only carfax and it looked to be serviced at the dealer.

Also how many miles is recommended between oil changes?

DiscoDavis

Explorer
Thanks for the information. Does the engine take synthetic? I have no history on the truck, only carfax and it looked to be serviced at the dealer.

Also how many miles is recommended between oil changes?

Castrol edge is synthetic. The oil specified for the 4.4L AJV8 is synthetic. 7500 miles.

rcharrette

Adventurer
I ran Castrol Synthetic 5/30 in my 08 LR3 all the way up until I retired it with 196K. The only thing I'd add is to be VERY careful tightening the pan bolt. It's an aluminum pan/threads and very easy to over tighten and pull the threads. Ask me how I know!

zelatore

Explorer
It pains me to say it as I usually do anything possible to avoid the place, but Walmart is usually unbeatable on oil prices. I buy around 5-600 gallons of delo400 a year and even my wholesalers can't match wally world. And now they do free shipping to boot! (My delivery guy LOVES it when I order say 50 gallons of oil...)

LR Max

Local Oaf
I was reading the owners manual in my LR3, and nowhere does it say I have to put synthetic in. So I'm running just normal castrol dyno oil. I'll change mine out every 3k. It isn't a DD, so that really equates to 2x a year (assuming I don't do a big cross country trip with it). Also looking at the vehicle history, I don't see anywhere they've ever used synthetic. So if it hasn't had it, ain't gonna get it.

Mann filters are the way to go. Rock auto has them for reasonable. Also get your cabin and air filter there. I've heard really good things about Wix filters as well. Wix is owned by Mann, so I bet its all about the same.

Moving forward, I'll probably get my filters from LR Direct when I do an order. About half the price from there vs. here for Mann filters.

DiscoDavis

Explorer
^ Saw a local forum post few years ago, was a photo of a laminated sheet from a LR service dept listing all specified oils and their local equivalent, castrol syntec/edge was there for the 4.4. Can't find it so couldn't definitively cite it now.

Do what you want and use full dino or blend, but why go 3000 miles between changes, that negates the cost of going synthetic for 7500... false economy. It's not a racecar. Certainly will not hurt it to switch from conventional to blend to synthetic or anything in between. 3000 mile changes would be for a dusty farm car that gets absolutely hammered daily, or sits months and months at a time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles