Toyota sunrader

Edward Terry

I will have more to the plans on this build soon.
IMG_20190806_141132.jpg

Attachments

• 2018-03-149502-58-36.jpg
    2018-03-149502-58-36.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 374
  • 2018-03-119509-02-40.jpg
    2018-03-119509-02-40.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 369
  • 2018-03-119509-03-40.jpg
    2018-03-119509-03-40.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 365
Last edited:
Edward,

Sounds like an ambitious project.

You might want to consider posting pictures on this site as some of us don't do FB.

Having done two Sunrader project; one Truck Camper model on to a Silverado and one side door shorty on to a Dodge W250 I might have some ideas.

In the meantime, if you haven't all ready check out http://toyotamotorhome.org/forums/index.php there are a lot of knowledgeable folks on this site that can help you with the Toyota information. There is also some great Sunrader builds including a 4x4 project ongoing with YouTube videos.

Good luck with your project,

Edward,

I'll try not to be negative, since your in the planing stage I will bring up the following for you to consider;

If you upgrade the motor I see no issue with pulling the load, however controlling, supporting, and stopping the combination may be an issue.

-With a single axle trailer like you propose, all of the weight you place in the area under the sleeper will be transferred to the Tongue.

Tongue weight is simply the downward force that the tongue of the trailer exerts on the hitch that is connected to the vehicle. ... Weigh Safe – as well as most experts agree – that an acceptable tongue weight for any trailer is somewhere between 9 to 15 percent of the gross trailer weight

-Does your 81 Have the full floating six lug axle? If so, what is is rated to support? If not, go no further until you address this issue. ( Much discussed on Toyota Motorhome Forum. )

-What is the frame / truck rated to tow? ( Pulling and Tongue. ) You may? be able to upgrade the brakes and add power, but you still are left with a frame that was built to just support the Sunrader body.

-Another major issue I see from your drawing is the distance from the trailer wheel to the tow vehicle, going downhill or in cross winds this may cause sway issues. You can use a sway bar hitch but these are very heavy and would add to your tongue weight.
https://www.hensleymfg.com/trailer-sway-101/

Attached is a picture of my W250 / Sunrader towing a parts truck in excess of 7000lbs. This truck has a much stronger frame, axle, and braking system designed to tow this weight safe and legal.

Finally, I noticed that your plan calls for two spares on top of each other at the back of the trailer. Attached is a picture on how I did it on my project;
-Relocated the SR Taillights down low, bolt a cheep trailer tire holder(s) thru the body and support on the inside with pressure treated 2x6 running down to the base to transfer the load. Add second set of lights above the spare tires for safety. This would allow you to retain the use of the big back window in the dinette.

Look forward to seeing what you end up with.

Safe Travels,

Attachments

• Towing 4.jpg
    Towing 4.jpg
    939.6 KB · Views: 57
  • 20171127_101300.jpg
    20171127_101300.jpg
    998.2 KB · Views: 59

Edward Terry

Edward,

I'll try not to be negative, since your in the planing stage I will bring up the following for you to consider;

If you upgrade the motor I see no issue with pulling the load, however controlling, supporting, and stopping the combination may be an issue.

-With a single axle trailer like you propose, all of the weight you place in the area under the sleeper will be transferred to the Tongue.

Tongue weight is simply the downward force that the tongue of the trailer exerts on the hitch that is connected to the vehicle. ... Weigh Safe – as well as most experts agree – that an acceptable tongue weight for any trailer is somewhere between 9 to 15 percent of the gross trailer weight

-Does your 81 Have the full floating six lug axle? If so, what is is rated to support? If not, go no further until you address this issue. ( Much discussed on Toyota Motorhome Forum. )

-What is the frame / truck rated to tow? ( Pulling and Tongue. ) You may? be able to upgrade the brakes and add power, but you still are left with a frame that was built to just support the Sunrader body.

-Another major issue I see from your drawing is the distance from the trailer wheel to the tow vehicle, going downhill or in cross winds this may cause sway issues. You can use a sway bar hitch but these are very heavy and would add to your tongue weight.

Attached is a picture of my W250 / Sunrader towing a parts truck in excess of 7000lbs. This truck has a much stronger frame, axle, and braking system designed to tow this weight safe and legal.

Finally, I noticed that your plan calls for two spares on top of each other at the back of the trailer. Attached is a picture on how I did it on my project;
-Relocated the SR Taillights down low, bolt a cheep trailer tire holder(s) thru the body and support on the inside with pressure treated 2x6 running down to the base to transfer the load. Add second set of lights above the spare tires for safety. This would allow you to retain the use of the big back window in the dinette.

Safe Travels,
This was just an i
Edward,

Safe Travels,

This is a cool idea for a trailer built out of a sunrader. I have been educated and understand the foolishness that would take place to try and tow such a trailer with a sunrader. I still think it would be a sweet trailer build. I have now turned my sights on purchasing a "Kustom Police Radar Trailer" for my sunrader. I will be starting the sunrader build soon. Its a strange one, I've never seen one like it. I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed, I have been planed to plan about planning, but the closer it gets the more ignorant and unprepared I feel. I will be grateful for any type of support and advice. I

Edward Terry

This is more practical, I am planning for something more reasonable now. I like the Kustom Police Radar Trailers. I also like the idea of building my own teardrop style trailer.2018-04-149508-41-52.jpg

Last edited:

purplehayes

I just bought a Toyota Sunrader. I have lived in two different travel trailers for the past five years, currently living in the second. I have always wanted a sunrader and now I have one. 1981 18' sunrader that will be diesel converted and able to pull. The reason being that my "dream rig" consist of two parts, the Toyota RV, and an enclosed trailer. The RV will contain .my bed, small closet, compact kitchen,Cubic mini wood stove, shower/toilet, small battery bank, security system, and, couch/entrainment system. The trailer will be kinda like a "home base camper" containing lots of storage for food, clothing, fire wood, my tools, water, basically a mobile garage/office. The main solar system will be on the trailer main water storage, how I would like to do it is so that when the trailer is in tow. All my RV connections connect to the trailer, electricity- begins with the large battery bank on the trailer connected to solar panels and can charge if trailer is plugged at a site if full and plugged in obviously power is solely derived from the site hook ups, the RV would be plugged into the trailer the trailer plugged into the site or constant solar charge. Same idea for the water begins with large tank in the trailer, trailer hooks to site hookups, RV has small water storage and connected to the trailer, the trailer will have good pump that would pump water to the RV, if connected to a site hose the trailer will fill first then the RV. Same idea for water connection as electric connection. Also I can do my woodworking in the trailer I would have my hunting stuff, hiking gear, outdoor supply, food storage bigger refrigerator, you get it. So the RV will be well built like I want it and able to tow, I would like this to be the last rig I build for my self, so I will be putting everything I have into it. The trailer idea up for discussion, the sunrader on sunrader trailer idea would need a 2nd sunrader shorty preferred not running. Remove the cab only leaving the cabin on the rear axle and leaving the brakes and framework. Now I really like the look of some of the Expedition tent trailers, the utility aspect not so much the tent. So with a trailer like I want I would have the trailer Axel and tires removed then attach the trailer in the same way the truck cabin was. It would also have interior space. I don't want the side door .. Because where the sunrader cabin is open for truck cab access would be where the expedition trailer rear opining would be conected, so that it is able to be entered from the interior sunnrader cabin. Below are some illustrations i made to help visualize what I'm going for. Obviously they are rough drafts so dont be negative. Thanks

View attachment 441596View attachment 441597View attachment 441598

Attachments

• sunroamer4x4a.jpg
    sunroamer4x4a.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 47

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles