Building a weatherproof drawer out of aluminum tubing, connectors, and panels?

SportsmanJake

Adventurer
Hi all,
I am brainstorming ideas for a full length pick up bed drawer system. I cannot weld aluminum and paying a fabricator would be too much. So I was thinking about the following. Let me know what you think.

1. Build a frame out of aluminum tubing and connectors using http://www.estoconnectors.com/ parts.
  2. Rivet aluminum panels to the frame.
  3. Take drawer to a welding shop and have them weld the seams between the top/sides/bottom of panels.

Pros:
  • Building a standard size of 6x4 would make it almost a universal fit for different pickup beds.
  • A well built aluminum drawer will be very durable.
  • Welded seams should make it waterproof.
  • Seems possible for an amateur to complete. No complex cuts or joints.

Cons:
  • Expensive.
  • Heavy (but similar weight to wood)
  • Requires 3rd party support (welder)

What do you think?

SportsmanJake

Adventurer
Thanks for the reply.
Mobile strong is about half the price of Truck Vault. Still pricey though.

There really doesn't seem to be a cheap option that is waterproof. I'd do with Decked if they would make one for the 1st Tundra.

I have the tools to do everything except weld. I think I will price it out and see if its doable for less than 1k.

Last edited:

Rezarf <><

Explorer
If you are riveting the box together then there's no need to weld up the seams... I would add something like a caulk/silicone (Sika-flex) comes to mind and seal it up that way. No need to pay a welder. You could also have the aluminum supplier bend the top down over the sides for you eliminating your long seams, basically an upside down "U"

CampStewart

Observer
I am in a similar position. I have all the tools except the welder and the experience of welding aluminum. When I need aluminum things built I fab the entire thing, clean and prep the aluminum for welding and rivet, screw clamp, etc it together so it will hold together dimensionally and take it to a local welding shop to have it all melted together. Building stuff like that only a small percentage of the time is actually spent welding it together. I am lucky in that I have a shop locally to me that charges me a very fair price. They know that what I bring them will be perfectly clean and designed and fitted to weld easily.

robert

Expedition Leader
If you're going to rivet it together anyways you could always braze it yourself and save some money. There are several good tutorial videos on-line including several by manufacturers but the key, like everything else, is good prep work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles