Expedition Trailer with Mt Rainer CVT RTT Tent & Foxwing - OK

dhousley

IMG_2662.JPG

Unfortunately, life has gotten in the way of our grand overlanding plans. As such, we are sadly selling this amazing Overlanding trailer. I'm reposting the original description, including relevant edits, with permission.

The trailer is based off of a M116A3 Military trailer platform and has been heavily modified to become a great offroad/overlanding trailer. It has been used on the following trips prior to our purchase: Utah Border to Border, Baja Mexico, and the Idaho Border to Border route along with countless other trips both on and off-road. It is a proven platform with over 10,000 miles of use. Completed in May 2015. Fairly unique design based on the Turtleback trailer. Since we purchased it, It has been "off-road" once for approximately 5 miles, and made one other trip to Overland Expo East in Flagstaff.

The major differences between this trailer and a Turtleback is it's a bit larger, more storage, and interior finish are not as polished as a TB (other than the kitchen), and of course the frame was a military trailer with the added box vs being built in a production facility. I have been 100% happy with this build. Lots of smart/skilled people helped with it. It is a great platform ready for your own adventures.

Price: $11,000 (better deal withe Land Cruiser for sale here!)

New Additions since my purchase:
Foxwing
New Wheels/Tires (BFG KO2) to match our Land Cruiser (also for sale).

Features:
Torsion axle - UCF Flexride patented suspension system (Exactly the same axle as a Turtleback trailer)
Toyota bolt pattern, can be changed. Comes with new rims to match 2015 LC. No spare. BFG KO2 Tires have less than 2,000 miles on them. (FJ Rims pictured not included)
Wheelbase matches an 2015 Toyota Land Cruiser.
Electric brakes
32 Gallon Water Tank Easily accessible water tank fill and drain handle
On Demand Water Pump with Commercial Grade Plumbing
Atwood On Demand Hot Water Heater (Built into the trailer not exposed)
Single AGM 75AH Deka Deep Cycle Battery with solar controller.
Solar charging port on side of trailer or on battery box for solar kits with their own controller
Slide out kitchen with dual burner stove and sink with foldown faucet. Baltic birch professional quality cabinetry from Turtleback Trailers.
Kitchen area includes a dual USB charging port and 12 volt plug. On/Off switches for the gas, water pump, light and water heater
Vented sink drain line with option to hook up a hose or use 5 gallon bucket
Auto off gas safety switch. If the drawer is closed while the stove is running the gas will cut off.
LED light bar on front of trailer and in kitchen area
Interior light for cargo area with on/off switch on both sides of the trailer
Simple electrical panel with a BlueSea fuesblock, On/Off switch, and solar controller.
Production model quality aluminum doors and storage boxes. All with locks
Shower head with hot/cold knob with locking door
Tank-fill port with locking door
Harbor Freight large tongue box (Battery in battery box mounted here)
Shore power plug on tongue box with Noco charger
2 Fuel can holders in front (Hold 5 gallon NATO style cans gas cans not included)
Quality round tube roof rack which can support a large RTT
Oztent Foxwing Awning
CVT Mt Rainier Tent included in price. (1yr old) Upgraded to a more dense foam mattress but also have the original CVT mattress if you wish to switch
2 - 11lb Propane tanks with steel propane tank holders. One is for the kitchen and water heater and the other as a spare or for your grill, etc.
Tons of storage including the front area which can hold up to 8 FrontRunner boxes. 3/4 of the top deck is available storage. A 10x10 EZ-Up can fit inside of the top deck length wise.
Open receiver hitch on trailer to accommodate a Max Coupler or your choice of trailer hitch. Max Coupler included
Aluminum skin no rivets
Recovery points front and back
OEM stabilizer jack in back
Standard jack in front and heavy duty XO Jack with dual wheels. The XO jack makes it very easy to move the trailer both on hard and dirt surfaces.
Wired for 7 pin plug to charge the battery and electric brakes
Safety cables vs chains
Exterior covered with Monstaliner bed liner.
It will fit in a standard height garage
Originally Titled in AZ with VIN

Dimensions:
Box Dimensions:
44.75" Wide
34" High
89.5" Long

Total length of deck: 97" includes fuel can area.
Tongue length: 42.5"
Total length of trailer back to front of the receiver: 140.5" (11.7ft)
Total width of trailer: 72"
Deck Height: 26"
Total Height of trailer in center (ladder): 80”. As long as you don't have an additional mattress inside of the RTT this trailer will fit in a standard height garage without having to air down the tires.
Front Door Dimensions: 21" Wide X 28" High

Trailer Weight:
Weighed at a certified scale both empty and with all my stuff. Nearly bulked out as if I were doing a 2+ week trip.

Empty No Water - 1775
With 32 gallons water - 2040
With gear including 10 gallons of fuel - 2320
Trailer no tent or water - 1625

This puts my trailer within 100lbs of a base Turtleback trailer (single battery, stock tires). I'm very happy with that.

Here's the build thread with lots of photos: M116A3 Trailer Build Takeover - Expedition Portal
Old tent and old kitchen are in these photos

Tent Specifications: Mt. Rainier Standard Pioneer Series :: Cascadia Vehicle Roof Top Tents

Issues:
Voltage has to be high for the Hot Water heater to kick on sometimes
Plastic Ladder knobs tore off but you can still easily retract and extend the ladder.
Small tear in RTT cover zipper fabric at beginning of the cover.

28928700006_60edcbc4f9_k.jpg

28928701896_09326e70f4_k.jpg

28341911354_80fcd420a5_k.jpg

28884482911_f0ebb0a9ce_k.jpg

28884484531_8814724c46_k.jpg

27946755310_0fe5335b48_k.jpg

23657363943_e21cb17d68_k.jpg

29788854322_176b508dae_k.jpg

Attachments

• 28341914334_5a34f63d9b_k.jpg
    28341914334_5a34f63d9b_k.jpg
    455.7 KB · Views: 291
Last edited:

1Louder

Explorer
Folks, I built this trailer with help from a lot of smart folks including people at Turtleback. This is an amazing trailer. I decided to go a different direction but that doesn’t mean this isn’t an amazing trailer. There are plenty of times when I miss it!

If you have a large family and want a trailer with a ton of storage capacity this one is for you. I’m sorry that the current owner has to sell it. We have become friends in the process of the transaction and post sale support.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94