Just another Jeep

Somecallmetimm

Adventurer
After a break from Jeeps I finally repented from my evil ways and came back to the family.
I was tossed between replacing my Forester with a JK or getting a third car beater to have fun with.
The end result is my Cherokee...

This is my first XJ. I picked it up for a mere $1200. As with most cars that price range, there was a short list of things that needed attention along with a long wish list of upgrades

Current status

1997 Cherokee Sport 4.0 , automatic, selectrac.

Stock and most everything works

The beast the night I bought it.

New jeep by Tim, on Flickr

Since picking it up, I've replaced the radiator, steering box, ignition switch and done some long needed maintenance and cleaning.

20180308_175530 by Tim, on Flickr

The stock 15" tires and rims were replaced with a nice set of 16" rims and fairly new tires I scored off a 5.9 ZJ which was getting bigger upgrades. The spare tire and rim have never touched the ground!

The first thing I did after paying the previous owner for the jeep, I ripped the bumper rails off. They were badly faded and warped. Under the old plastic guards were 21 years of grime and 2 sided tape.

Found this little eraser wheel and started in on the unwanted goo.

20180308_183212 by Tim, on Flickr

The end result.

20180308_185606 by Tim, on Flickr

Over time it'll receive a small lift, more aggressive rubber, better storage options, a winch and some armor.

Somecallmetimm

Adventurer
This is the first time I've needed to do any paint on a project. I don't really want to do the bed liner route, because of the weight, fading issues, and the fact that once it's on it won't come off easily. Although i may do a roll on liner on the top, the rest of it may just receive some sanding and clear coat if I can get it looking half way decent.
Looking into water based paint as another option. I understand it's pretty easy to work with... in comparison.

Any input is appreciated!

IMG_3093 by Tim, on Flickr
IMG_3094 by Tim, on Flickr
IMG_3088 by Tim, on Flickr

Somecallmetimm

Adventurer
Ran into starting issues, ended up being worn parts in the column.
Got that squared away and now I'm working on replacing the oil pump.

Joys of an older vehicle.

ipconfig

This is the first time I've needed to do any paint on a project. I don't really want to do the bed liner route, because of the weight, fading issues, and the fact that once it's on it won't come off easily. Although i may do a roll on liner on the top, the rest of it may just receive some sanding and clear coat if I can get it looking half way decent.
Looking into water based paint as another option. I understand it's pretty easy to work with... in comparison.

Any input is appreciated!

IMG_3093 by Tim, on Flickr
IMG_3094 by Tim, on Flickr
IMG_3088 by Tim, on Flickr

I bought an 87 with major paint issues. I sanded it down and shot it with Tractor Supply paint for about 50 bucks. It isnt professional but will server my purposes fine.

YM3Tjfm.jpg

ipconfig

Not bad for a $50 paint job!
That's likely the route I'll go. Branches happen. Even in Kansas.
That's my thought process, why spend a grand on something I plan to move tree limbs with. It gets too beat up I will shoot it with some more paint.

Somecallmetimm

Adventurer
So I got a new oil pump installed, and now I'm dealing with starting issues. I"m pretty sure it's either the fuel pressure regulator/filter or the pump. So time to drop the tank.

I also am enjoying a perk from work. i manage a fleet of survey vehicles, and we just swapped an older truck out of survey service, so I pulled the 15 year old organizer and broke it down. In other words, "Free Wood". I plan on using it to build a small drawer system for the back.

2018-04-07_05-59-07 by Tim, on Flickr

stoicalpear

I am interested to see what you make from the wood. I have been toying around with some different ideas for storage in my XJ. I cant really commit to any one design as I have so may factors at play (dog, kiddo, lots of gear, weight just to name a few). Sucks to hear the starting issues. What all is it doing? Some quick tips prior to dropping a take... Have you checked fuel pressure at the rail? Also, if the crank position sensor fails it will not start.

Somecallmetimm

Adventurer
The problem will be properly diagnosed before any work gets done. Right after I got it, starting wasn't an issue, now it will only start on occasion, and it takes a lot of cranking to get it there. I got it started earlier today, but then it just shut down. It turns over no problem, but doesn't start.

As far as the plans for the back. I'm not 100% sure how things will be configured. Another perk of the job is access to great drafting programs. So once I take a few measurements of the back of the jeep, i'll put together a plan. It'll likely just be a 2 drawer system with the top of the platform lower than the top of the back seat. Something the dogs can chill out on, and low enough to load a cooler and other gear on top.

Somecallmetimm

Adventurer
Got pix?

I got the fuel pump done last night, killed a few spiders in the process.
Sitting over the last 3 years took its toll. The rear brakes are next. Completely blew out the left cylinder.

Pix of maintenance are boring, so none exist. I hope to get it on the road this weekend and take some photos of it on dirt, it's natural habitat (IOW not my drive way!!!)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles