Parts Commonality, 4Runner/Prado

thewageneers

Hi all,

Been a while since we've posted on ExPo. Question for the forum: what is the parts commonality (mechanical and electrical) between a 4Runner and Prado? I know they are built on the same platform and am curious how many parts are actually identical. I see the Prado is offered in a 4L V6 in some markets - is it exactly the same engine that is on the 4Runner? Is the KDSS and locking dif system identical, or similar? Same questions for steering, suspension, brakes, sensors, cooling, infotainment, etc.

Having sold our beloved 1991 300GD, we are starting the search for a more modern overland rig. One of the biggest issues that plagued us with our GWagen was the availability of spares on the road. We had purchased the rig specifically because the OM603 diesel engine is ubiquitous worldwide, but G-specific parts on the OM603 (fan clutch, fan, etc.) made some simple repair jobs into part sourcing headaches in South America.

For our next rig, we're looking at a modern 4Runner primarily for exploring North/South America, but long term destinations are TBD. I imagine a Land Cruiser has the best global parts commonality for a truck sold worldwide, but it is outside the budget that we are looking for.

Thanks!
The Wageneers

www.wageneers.com

Last edited:

chunko

Observer
If you are talking about the latest generation of 4Runner/ Prado (150 platform), then, yes the 4L V6 is the same (1GR-FE) with possibly some tuning differences. The steering, suspension and brakes are the same. I don't think the infotainment systems are shared since the interiors are very different. Not sure about KDSS and the differential but I don't see why that would be different in other markets since they are built on the same frame.

The Lexus GX line are essentially re-badged Prados with a V8, luxury amenities and, beginning in 2014, an unfortunate Predator front-end. I believe the 4.6L V8 is unique to North America, however.

thewageneers

Thanks for your reply! Understood about the GX series. We're trying our best to avoid North America-only versions of engines in our vehicle hunt.

hayde89

The prado is optioned with either a Diesel or the same V6 as the 4runner. So in reality the V8 in the GX is the weak link. Parts should be relativity easy to find for the 4runner because of the Prado's availablity around the world.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I don't think you can say the 1GR-FE is *exactly* the same worldwide, ECU and emissions systems are probably unique to individual markets. But generally speaking it's an engine that is offered and manufactured in many markets around the globe, so it's likely major components are interchangeable. Same with all the transmissions and drivetrains. Gearing or minor differences could exist but it's likely that you'll find them very similar.

Bodies, interiors and electrical systems clearly differ. I'm not even sure the GX is really exactly the same down a bolt as a Prado. Maybe Toyota really does just slap cosmetics and badges on a Prado VX or Kakadu and calls it a Lexus GX but I'm not sure I would bet on it. The interiors aren't really that similar, the front end as has been mentioned, the V8 (Prados have only ever gotten diesels or 4- or 6-cylinder gasoline engines) and you can get still get stick shifts in some Prados while that hasn't been possible in a GX or 4Runner since 2003.

Dalko43 will probably scold me for saying this, but the 90, 120 and 150 platforms and pieces have been and are used for lots of vehicles so the chances are good that if you drive a 1996+ 4Runner, FJ Cruiser, Prado, GX, Tacoma, Surf or Hilux you will be able to fix it most places in the world. Are they all 100% identical in every detail? Nope.

But there's somewhere between some and a lot of commonality between them all such that you can probably find the local part number in South American, Europe or Asia that interchanges with the one in the North America parts systems. It seems that Toyota does use common parts as much as possible but each market is individual, so there's local sourcing that seems to lead to different part numbers for components and assemblies that are the same or similar.

Dalko43

Explorer
I don't think you can say the 1GR-FE is *exactly* the same worldwide, ECU and emissions systems are probably unique to individual markets. But generally speaking it's an engine that is offered and manufactured in many markets around the globe, so it's likely major components are interchangeable. Same with all the transmissions and drivetrains. Gearing or minor differences could exist but it's likely that you'll find them very similar.

Bodies, interiors and electrical systems clearly differ. I'm not even sure the GX is really exactly the same down a bolt as a Prado. Maybe Toyota really does just slap cosmetics and badges on a Prado VX or Kakadu and calls it a Lexus GX but I'm not sure I would bet on it. The interiors aren't really that similar, the front end as has been mentioned, the V8 (Prados have only ever gotten diesels or 4- or 6-cylinder gasoline engines) and you can get still get stick shifts in some Prados while that hasn't been possible in a GX or 4Runner since 2003.

Dalko43 will probably scold me for saying this, but the 90, 120 and 150 platforms and pieces have been and are used for lots of vehicles so the chances are good that if you drive a 1996+ 4Runner, FJ Cruiser, Prado, GX, Tacoma, Surf or Hilux you will be able to fix it most places in the world. Are they all 100% identical in every detail? Nope.

I don't know why I'd scold you. The 4runner shares the same basic underpinnings as the overseas LC Prado platform. The overseas 4.0l gasoline engine and mechanical parts are similar enough to those of the North American version that you should have no problem finding parts for repair. You seem to agree with that, right? The interior setup and infotainment system might be different, but those parts aren't absolutely necessary to get the vehicle moving; I wouldn't worry about them.

As for the newest Tacoma, some people claim there is a large amount of commonality between it and the Hilux, but I'm not sure of how many parts they truly have in common. And I have no idea how common the new 3.5l v6 is in overseas market. Then again, if I was taking a semi-new Tacoma into areas unknown, I wouldn't be too worried about a catastrophic breakdown.

Last edited:

DaveInDenver

The 4Runner probably shares a frame with the Prado but the body and interior aren't. They are enough different that Toyota assigns different model designators. For V6 trucks a 4Runner is a GRN280/285 while a Prado is called the GRJ150. The GX gets a URJ150 designation so to Toyota it must be considered a Prado variant. A typical Hilux variant is GGN120 and a Tacoma is a GRN265. The FJC was GSJ15 in all markets.

I've read on the Toyota120 forums that all the frames are the same dimensions from the cab forward. The guy looking into it was doing that from the perspective of the cab mount chop, which is pretty the same for all the trucks. Obviously things deviate from the middle rearward the wheelbase, construction (Tacomas being open-C, double wall vs. single layer boxed is the glaring change), mount points, etc. But the 4Runner and Hilux/Tacoma split with the 120 platform so that's not surprising. Things like suspension and axles appears to be the same, adapted to local markets. It seems gear ratios are all over the place worldwide and I wouldn't be surprised to find the spring rates on Prados to be different than 4Runner.

I think ultimately only Toyota knows truly how similar they all are, but I just don't see Toyota wanting to make a 100% completely unique vehicle for any market. So it makes most sense for them to use as much commonality as possible. All I know is my Tacoma, made in Fremont, CA, 10/2007 has plenty of parts with Kanatana symbols and when a 4Runner is in for repairs it's getting parts from the N.A. parts chain, same as Tacoma and FJC.

I totally agree that the mechanicals are probably the same, which is really the point. I'm not so sure the electronics are, but global vehicles are following ours in complexity so maybe so. But I also wouldn't just dismiss the interior. Many trucks globally have crank windows and manual locks and plain radios and so trying to fix a 4Runner with a power window that's broken or an infotainment center that's tripping the engine immobilizer or alarm isn't trivial.

Dalko43

Explorer
Dave, I’m not sure why you’re trying to muddy the waters.

4Runner and LC Prado platform are built off the same platform (read overall chassis, not just the frame). Interior and body panels may look different but the foundation underneath is pretty much the same. Go look at the wheelbase for both; they’re pretty much the same.

The Tacoma May have some carry over parts from Toyota’s global platforms, but based on discrepancies in external dimensions, I don’t think it can be argued that it shares a common platform with those other models.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

phsycle

Adventurer
.... Then again, if I was taking a semi-new Tacoma into areas unknown, I wouldn't be too worried about a catastrophic breakdown.

This was my thought as well. Isn't the whole point of getting rid of the old truck and buying new better reliability? Granted, everything, even new vehicles, can fail. But I would think carrying common failure spare parts, you'll be just fine. Worst case scenario, with how much global reach even some of the rinky-dink towns have, they could probably order the part for you. I wouldn't think a few days of delay will set you back too much on a worldwide tour.

If I were in this position, I would just plan for a NA/SA tour now, which means just get whatever truck you want, then consider a world tour truck when/if that time comes. With some global platforms coming online, there may be better options at that point.

DaveInDenver

4Runner and LC Prado platform are built off the same platform (read overall chassis, not just the frame).
Seems if Toyota wanted the 4Runner to be a Prado it would be a Prado.

I did a quick look, the frame part numbers.

4Runner: 51001-35A40, 51001-35A50 or 51001-35A61
GX460: 51001-60M91

There are at least a dozen for Prado depending on configuration, but LHD typically are 51001-60M50, 51001-60L60, 51001-60L90, 51001-60M00, 51001-60M11, 51001-60M21, etc.

What I'm saying is chief engineers for the various models seem to been given some leeway in how close they make the models. They can modify the frames to suit, pick from the bin. Obviously Mike Sweers is given exceptional room to make a Tacoma that is less like the other medium duty trucks than the Hilux/Fortuner (Hiroki Nakajima) or 4Runner (Akio Nishimura) is to Sadayoshi Koyari's Prado/GX.

I can poke around more, but it does seems the few random parts (vane pump, lower suspension arm) are the same across Prado/4Runner/FJC. But it's also interesting to note that the 1GR short block, 11400-31280, isn't the same for Tacoma or Hilux but is for the Tundra. Also the partial engine assembly, 19000-31K81, is only used on the 4Runner and Tundra, not the FJC or Prado. Some of this may be due to the various VVT and VVT-i changes, I dunno.

thewageneers

Wow, thanks for all the great feedback/input.

First off, I agree: a new-ish rig will likely have fewer issues compared to high mileage alternatives.

Second, between Tacoma and 4Runner, we are looking at 4Runner because it is made in Japan and offered in a broader range of countries, presumably increasing the likelihood of parts availability, especially in SA.

Dave, thanks for your input! I’ll send you a message offline with a couple follow up questions - would love to know how you are checking part numbers like that.

There are surprisingly few global 4x4 platforms available in the US. Land Cruiser, Sprinter and Forester are the ones that come to mind.

Dalko43

Explorer
There are surprisingly few global 4x4 platforms available in the US. Land Cruiser, Sprinter and Forester are the ones that come to mind.

Dude, despite what Dave is saying, the 4Runner is a global platform. You should have no problems finding parts for it while abroad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DaveInDenver

Second, between Tacoma and 4Runner, we are looking at 4Runner because it is made in Japan and offered in a broader range of countries, presumably increasing the likelihood of parts availability, especially in SA.
The 4Runner is made in Japan but is only sold in Canada, the U.S. and a some South American countries I believe. Most places get the actual Prado, Hilux Surf or a Fortuner. The whole thing is confusing.

Dave, thanks for your input! I'll send you a message offline with a couple follow up questions - would love to know how you are checking part numbers like that.
Don't ask me, Dalko43 is the go-to. I have many misunderstanding about what is or isn't and have zero first hand knowledge of what's sold overseas beyond what the EPCs say. I assume being a close relative of the Prado that Dalko's right but he'll be the expert as to the extent of it.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles