Viair 450c in first generation Tacoma

HAB

I'm working on figuring out mounting for a Viair 10007 kit, including a 450c compressor in my 2000, and have a few questions for anyone who might have gone down this route before. I've found a ton of info on doing this in 2nd gens, but not much for 1sts. I'm planning to put the tank above the rear diff, but haven't quite figured out the compressor placement. My truck has ABS, so the spot in the engine bay where the ABS module goes is out. For various reasons, I don't want to put it in the bed. The three remaining options that I see are:

1. Under one of the front seats
2. In the storage compartments under the rear seats, where the jack and factory tools are stored
3. Underneath the bed, just behind the cab, outside of the frame rail.

For 1 and 2, I'm concerned about noise. How loud is the compressor when it's operating? Option 3 seems ideal from a noise and space usage perspective, but I'm worried about the compressor getting dirty and wet up there. I can build a bit of a shield for it, but it still seems not great. What do you guys recommend?

HAB

Well, if anyone is curious, here's what I ended up doing:

-Air tank above the rear diff, bolted to the bed
-Compressor under the driver's seat
-Pressure switch and relay under the center console, zip tied to the bracket that the center console bolts to. I drilled some holes in the bracket to run zip ties through.
-Gauge and power switch mounted in place of the ash tray

It's all pretty tidy, the wiring and air lines are all under the carpet. The air lines then go through the storage compartment under the rear seat, out the back of that through the rubber plug in the back, then along the top of the frame rail to the tank. Noise isn't bad at all.

Ngneer

Observer
Well, if anyone is curious, here's what I ended up doing:

-Air tank above the rear diff, bolted to the bed
-Compressor under the driver's seat
-Pressure switch and relay under the center console, zip tied to the bracket that the center console bolts to. I drilled some holes in the bracket to run zip ties through.
-Gauge and power switch mounted in place of the ash tray

It's all pretty tidy, the wiring and air lines are all under the carpet. The air lines then go through the storage compartment under the rear seat, out the back of that through the rubber plug in the back, then along the top of the frame rail to the tank. Noise isn't bad at all.
sounds good to me

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles