RHD 1992 Toyota Hiace Diesel 4x4 Double Cab Doka Truck Van with UTE bed - Boise,ID

I would really question why a truck with 7000 original miles needed to have the diesel injection pump rebuilt. Caution would be advised...

destructomatt

Adventurer
The switch to Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel fuel over here does some funky **** to the seals on injection pumps in very short time. Lots of threads on this over on Mud.

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
I would really question why a truck with 7000 original miles needed to have the diesel injection pump rebuilt. Caution would be advised...

It's also a 7K mile 25 year old vehicle so it definitely needed maintenance by someone.

Low mileage OLD vehicles always have lot's of problems no matter how nice they look!

obselesc

Although it hasn't been driven all that much it may be worth noting that the firemen in Japan are known for religious upkeep of their vehicles. So I'd imagine once all the maintenance is updated and this thing has a few shakedown miles on it it would be in really great shape.

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
I guess change is needed with the new bed and other changes as another low mileage Complete Red Japanese Hiace double cab firetruck sold at Barrett Jackson in January for only $11K. The new owner of that truck is also fishing for the early to mid $20's.

Lot's of luck!

Riptide

Explorer
That is the freaking coolest truck I've seen on here in a long time. But, since I rock a Suzuki Samurai, you can understand why I think that...

It's a good thing I'm already in trouble for buying another truck, 'cuz if I wasn't I'd be tipping my piggy bank over.

Awesome!!

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
It's also a 7K mile 25 year old vehicle so it definitely needed maintenance by someone.
Low mileage OLD vehicles always have lot's of problems no matter how nice they look!

I guess my 39 year old Mercedes 1017AF did not get that 'memo'. It is another 'firetruck' with 14,000 total miles, and zero problems. There is a big difference between a truck used hard, or military surplus that have been sitting and fire trucks that have been maintained on a weekly basis. The log book for my truck shows almost monthy visit to the dealer for maintenance or changing parts based on 'time' not miles. I would venture to guess that Japanese fireman have the same standards as German fireman.

The seller (no relation to seller or vehicle) said the injectors started leaking fuel with the change over to US diesel. His local diesel shop said this is a known problem. He had everything redone while they were changing stuff out. I am certainly no expert on HiAce trucks, but I would venture to guess adding the aluimum flatbed was $6-8000, and the TRD wheels with new tires were in the $2,000 range. Plus a lots of other work.

It certainly seems like a fair price to me given the condition, rarity, all the work done, and a known quality that can be 'inspected'. Not some unknown sitting in Japan.

Clutch

<---Pass
I have seen it running around town before they did the UTE bed conversion. It is in pretty damn good shape. How good are all the seals? Who knows.

Price seem fair to me. The hassle to import it, the work done, UTE bed, wheels... etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles