re power questions especially 4g63

as i have mentioned in other posts, i am on layoff for a while-with waaay too much time on my hands, i'm conjuring all kind of modifications and "upgrades"? to my poor montee. she is patient and only winces a bit when i pull a blooper-but i cant leave my hands off her...
anyhoo...

coil over front springs
a new slide pan to fit beneath front axle /steering (Worked on today , looks promising).
moving mounting arms for biggger radiator
and now, REPOWER
this is for next layoff season. it needs careful planning. not my slap dash "get it done b4 dark method".

i dreampt of a 4.3 v6 chev engine, then a 3800 supercharged engine ,
a 2,7 toyota engine

keep coming back to power/ weight and....simplicity i hate walk-outs.

tonite i witnessed a montero 4g63 on puffed air and wow, wow, wow!
the engine is breathtaking. simply a beautiful engine.
i prefer pushrod engines in trucks but this turbo 4 is making me wiggle like a pup.

it likely weighs a lot less than the 6 and there is millions(billions)? of aftermarket parts support for this engine.

FIRST question.
bell housing patterns
is she a bolt in to the v6 auto with either the wide or narrow 4g block?

any idea?

thanks

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
With a bellhousing and proper flexplate the 4G64 will bolt up, it's a really nice motor. I swapped one in place of a 3.0 a while back they are very simple engines much like the 3.0.

With a bellhousing and proper flexplate the 4G64 will bolt up, it's a really nice motor. I swapped one in place of a 3.0 a while back they are very simple engines much like the 3.0.

!!!!!
a bellhousing for my automatic? life is good.

the 64 is the mighty max engine i believe. RWD, things is looking good

Last edited:
coilover thread: thx 4 this.

i have determined that i need fabtech toyota 2wd upper arms, and weld on mounting bosses on the frame. then a tacoma shock/strut/spring combo will replicate , fairly closely the geometry from mitsu. if i can get the angles right, based on travel arch of lower arm. i think i can . had not considered a automotive spring shock combo. thx

anyhoo. its a bigger job than when i first began but not at all un-do-able.

and the result will be smiley. especially when i repower, i can tune that suspension to a knife edge...just takes $$$

then in a wild moment of terrifying insanity i began to wonder if i can go with coil over in the rear, eliminating the spring......and so it goes.

i really need to get back to work....

IncorpoRatedX

Explorer
I've been down this 4G63 RWD road before, there's a hundred ways to cut it and a ton of trans adapters for the narrow block 4g, good options for the wide block 4g too. I can shed a little light on the path of least resistance in your situation. Based on the amount of modification required to fit the transverse mounted twin cam 4g, just pass on that idea. There's plenty of same thing, but a little different, ideas that will yield results easier.

The true champ of no-walk out power set-ups in my 4g book would be a supercharged, or turbo 8 valve 6 bolt 2.4 from a gen 2 mighty max, or if i wanted to take chances on an interference engine, a 2.4 7 bolt montero sport engine, cheapest route would be a whole truck to get the ecu and harness or just go megasquirt if you have the skillset.

There's some key parts you'll need for a 6 bolt 4G swap, 4wd oil pan and pick up tube, modifying would mostly mean flipping the sump 180 and extending the pick-up tube, theres off the shelf solutions still available from amayama. The flexplate will be the real challenge, see, you need a 6 bolt converter and crank combo, only came in the short wheel base 2.6 with 4 speed aisin auto, it's rare. rare enough you might consider just getting a diesel flexplate since they're more available and not far from you. Rising sun delica shop up in Canada. To do the 7 bolt, interference engine, it's all off the shelf jdm stuff for the montero sport.

this is a 4g63 i stuffed in a 73 galant, plenty of room, imagine truck bay, single cam and turbo, simple, non interference engine that can pop a belt and still drive out, more torque than the 2.0 and boost to compensate further. be certain to intercool and dont become a boost junky, you'll want ARP head studs.

IMG_1478.jpg

IMG_1476.jpg

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
I've been down this 4G63 RWD road before, there's a hundred ways to cut it and a ton of trans adapters for the narrow block 4g, good options for the wide block 4g too. I can shed a little light on the path of least resistance in your situation. Based on the amount of modification required to fit the transverse mounted twin cam 4g, just pass on that idea. There's plenty of same thing, but a little different, ideas that will yield results easier.

The true champ of no-walk out power set-ups in my 4g book would be a supercharged, or turbo 8 valve 6 bolt 2.4 from a gen 2 mighty max, or if i wanted to take chances on an interference engine, a 2.4 7 bolt montero sport engine, cheapest route would be a whole truck to get the ecu and harness or just go megasquirt if you have the skillset.

There's some key parts you'll need for a 6 bolt 4G swap, 4wd oil pan and pick up tube, modifying would mostly mean flipping the sump 180 and extending the pick-up tube, theres off the shelf solutions still available from amayama. The flexplate will be the real challenge, see, you need a 6 bolt converter and crank combo, only came in the short wheel base 2.6 with 4 speed aisin auto, it's rare. rare enough you might consider just getting a diesel flexplate since they're more available and not far from you. Rising sun delica shop up in Canada. To do the 7 bolt, interference engine, it's all off the shelf jdm stuff for the montero sport.

this is a 4g63 i stuffed in a 73 galant, plenty of room, imagine truck bay, single cam and turbo, simple, non interference engine that can pop a belt and still drive out, more torque than the 2.0 and boost to compensate further. be certain to intercool and dont become a boost junky, you'll want ARP head studs.

View attachment 438907

View attachment 438908

That is sexy!

indeed very nice.

now, this is a 2.4. livened with boost? , she should move my 5 door down the road nicely enough.with power to spare and fuel economy?
what about torque in snotty trails where rpm is a killer?
Supercharged sounds fun, and torquey.

i have what i believe is a gen 2 max sitting up in the woods, actuallly there were three; 2 diesels that disappeared a few years ago, and this purple gas one. i wonder what it has for transmission......maybe drive up there tomorrow and look see.

take this chance to liven up my auto with Supra guts from a340. and take my TC down and see if there is anything can be done about it.

and my rock trac and it might just be a winning ticket.

Did that Galant go like the dickens??!!

Outdooraholic

Adventurer
I’d love to see more of that ‘73 Galant!

I’ve had the same thoughts as you, how do I get more power than the underwhelming factory output. I also drive an Eclipse GSX and a Lancer Evo so I really feel the lack of acceleration when I drive my old Montero Sport.

IncorpoRatedX

Explorer
from my research regarding these four-door, body on box frame, chassis and power-trains: 3.8 6G75 V6 (non mivec, mivec is being r&d'd in cali) and the 1uz V8 are the most cost effective and documented swaps currently available.

In the next 3 years I expect those who dont swap engines will supercharging as the norm, if not, turbocharge, primarily someone needs to work hard on the black box ecu's for monteros and document wiring hardness retrofits in the older chassis, then we'll have a solid start to just bolt on power-adders and go.

this is my opinion, so take it for what it's worth, the 4G swap is best left to the Mighty Max and the 2 door Montero chassis. It's mostly a weight thing. If you were making a light weight trail rig out of a sport, chopping off panels and stuff, or a truggy of any kind, i'd roll with a 2.4 turbo'd, Toasty made a gen 2 truggy with a 2.4... but once you get into more metal than a pick-up, it starts to work the engine harder than you want for real-world longevity in expedition type environments.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/AdventureDrivenDesign/photos/?tab=album&album_id=924843174316597

15326603_924843200983261_2718212269835492020_n.jpg

Last edited:
this is my opinion, so take it for what it's worth, the 4G swap is best left to the Mighty Max and the 2 door Montero chassis. It's mostly a weight thing. If you were making a light weight trail rig out of a sport, chopping off panels and stuff, or a truggy of any kind, i'd roll with a 2.4 turbo'd, Toasty made a gen 2 truggy with a 2.4... but once you get into more metal than a pick-up, it starts to work the engine harder than you want for real-world longevity in expedition type environments.

im coming to a similar conclusion. on my thinkin this through.
such as i do think.

Yesterday by awful chance, my old and dear friend ol' fickspeak Tom dropped by. He is afoot again as his license has again been pulled due to antisocial behavior behind the wheel.

so i gives him a ride to his shop. he restores vintage 50's gm trucks, and shares a shop with the boat repair mechanic in this town.

here he had a mercruiser 470 in a commanche pick up.

I says "whats that"? i wish now i had not a asked....

more thoughtful nonsense on this re power.

The mitsu engines as an upgrade i cannot stomach.
the 1uz i have in an old lexus and its a revver. is not real substantial below 2K. so how often do you hit 2500 rpm on the trail?
the later 470 is a good engine but who cares. its a pig. got one of those too. not impressed.

most ohc engines are better used in the higher rpm ranges.
We are also limited to the A340 trans and its derivatives when looking at OHC engines. not the best transmission for our activities.

the hands down final best automatic for our activities is either the 700 r4 or its descendant 4l60E
unfortunately these are terribly expensive to swap due to a variety of factors.
so they are out.
most autos of a later design are too large to fit comfortably in the transmission tunnels.

but... how about this,
The old ford AOD the old clunker you trip over at the wrecker for sale at 50.00?
hmmm ... t case bolt up, a wide variety of ford engines will fit, a TV cable, no electronics. durable as heck , will not over heat, and decent gearing.

Consider this : a ford 4.2 v6 pushrod engine with the SC eaton 112 blower, and an electric water pump. mated to an AOD and a rubicon t case. If that does not get your gear head humming and pulse a notch up, then consider yourself dead.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne