2000 4runner opinions

4mul8

I've had my '99 T4R for about 6 months, and have been enjoying it way more than I thought I would. You don't mention whether you'll be doing this multi-month traveling with your wife, but I would think that for extended road trips, during which you'll be sleeping in the vehicle, a 4th Gen might offer you more space. I don't remember all the specs off the top of my head, but the 4th Gens are certainly wider, and you can feel that in the cabin.

And if you're looking at 4th Gens, then I'd strongly consider looking at Lexus GX470s. Since it sounds like the majority of your miles will be on roads, the Lexus will make those miles easier. But when you find some rougher roads or trails, it'll be quite capable. I also find that GX470s are priced better than their 4runner equivalents –*and likely have been better taken care of as well. I realize this is a slippery slope, and roughly triple the cost of the 4Runner you initially mentioned, but if I had the means, this is the route I would go.

TMOD

Not sure what year Ody you have but I have an '03 and a '99 T4R.

The T4R is small in the drivers and front passenger areas compared to the Ody. Not too small for me, I really like the T4R. But the wife greatly prefers the spacious front of the Ody.

My Odyssey is a 2010. I love the Honda and its not going anywhere. The Honda will remain the DD.

TMOD

I've had my '99 T4R for about 6 months, and have been enjoying it way more than I thought I would. You don't mention whether you'll be doing this multi-month traveling with your wife, but I would think that for extended road trips, during which you'll be sleeping in the vehicle, a 4th Gen might offer you more space. I don't remember all the specs off the top of my head, but the 4th Gens are certainly wider, and you can feel that in the cabin.

And if you're looking at 4th Gens, then I'd strongly consider looking at Lexus GX470s. Since it sounds like the majority of your miles will be on roads, the Lexus will make those miles easier. But when you find some rougher roads or trails, it'll be quite capable. I also find that GX470s are priced better than their 4runner equivalents –*and likely have been better taken care of as well. I realize this is a slippery slope, and roughly triple the cost of the 4Runner you initially mentioned, but if I had the means, this is the route I would go.

I could see some shorter trips with the wife, but not a lot of sleeping 2 in the vehicle. This vehicle will be mainly for solo trips once i retire in a few years.

Thanks for the tip on the 4th gens. And yes, the Lexus looks good too. I first noticed the lexus while watching a 4xoverland video on youtube where they were in Oregon and he was loaned a Lexus for the trip. Can't remember if it was a 460 or 470, but that is an intriguing option that will look at.

Arktikos

Explorer
One drawback I see to the 470 is the V8 and reduced mpg.

4Runner would have 50% better MPG, I think, and you probably don't need the extra space that the LC provides. One consideration with a 3rd gen is that you might be able to find a manual transmission, which would be my preference. I had a pretty nice 2001 with an auto. Didn't like the lack of headroom though. The older 4Runners have more, perhaps because no sun roof.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier