Discovery 5 Overland Peru

DieselRanger

Hi all -

New member here looking to get into Overlanding. I own a new Disco 5 HSE Td6 after years of wheeling a 2010 VW Touareg TDI, which was bought back by VW. I never took it farther than I needed to get to a remote trailhead for mountaineering, backpacking, backcountry stuff, etc, but as I'm...maturing, my back can't really handle a lot of what I used to do, so...Overlanding.

I have to say, while my Touareg was tough and reliable and very capable, this new Disco is in another league altogether. I've had it off-road on some moderately rocky and rutted trails, and it's just a beast. Land Rover reliability reputation aside, it seems an ideal Overlanding platform - tons of room, comfortable, CDL, low range, switchable ESC and up to 13" of ground clearance. It's been rock-solid for me so far, and it seems Land Rover is really trying to prove its chops too.

Came across this in my Google news feed:

https://www.outsideonline.com/2287141/can-2018-land-rover-discovery-still-go-road

There's a similar article on Jalopnik but I hate their writing - that one is mostly about the author's difficulty in looking cool with his shirt partly unbuttoned. Or at least that's where I stopped reading.

Enjoy...

DiscoNels

Adventurer
The two authors Travis from the story in the link above and Andrew (from Jalopnik) rode in the D5 together. Travis was a character with his Hawaiian shirts and antics. I was along for the tour and can vouch for the agility of the D5. Peru was a fantastic trip and the people within our group and the locals were great. Travis had some great 4K aerial drone footage of the desert sand driving that I'm hoping he'll post somewhere.

Here's the site I was welcomed with on day one of driving. I became quite emotional seeing all these LR's perfectly lined up in the lot waiting for us to mount and drive. 16 Discoveries, and 3 Range Rover Sports.

Attachments

• 20171030_112353.jpg
    20171030_112353.jpg
    255 KB · Views: 48

DieselRanger

The two authors Travis from the story in the link above and Andrew (from Jalopnik) rode in the D5 together. Travis was a character with his Hawaiian shirts and antics. I was along for the tour and can vouch for the agility of the D5. Peru was a fantastic trip and the people within our group and the locals were great. Travis had some great 4K aerial drone footage of the desert sand driving that I'm hoping he'll post somewhere.

Here's the site I was welcomed with on day one of driving. I became quite emotional seeing all these LR's perfectly lined up in the lot waiting for us to mount and drive. 16 Discoveries, and 3 Range Rover Sports.

Sweet! I'm looking forward to getting my Disco kitted up for some overlanding. I'm looking at a Denver to Tahoe overland adventure and trying to recruit a couple friends who have good rigs, but I fear the time commitment for that trip might be a bit too much for where we are in our careers, kids, etc. Might have to settle for a Denver to Wendover trip that we can do in a long weekend instead....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles