Expedition Vehicle selection thoughts?

Zybane

I've looked at several builds based on the F550. While that engine and cab comfort would be killer, don't think the off-road chops would be good enough for me. Those Ford axles with custom gear ratios to fit 41" tires, don't think anyone makes diff lockers for them. Plus they have real long wheel bases. Earthroamer is great for long highway trips and then some forrest roads down to the lake. Not so sure about climbing that steep track to a top of a hill.

Also not a huge fan of the Earthroamer floor-plan. Two small seats (dinette) facing one another. Wasted space for a single person. The only F550 based unit I've seen that has a more open/larger (more comfortable) seating arrangement is the Tiger Siberian. One benefit of the F550 though is the option for the Kelderman air suspension. So automatic leveling which appears to be rare in the EV segment.

Darwin

Explorer
If it's just a rig to explore North America, the Ram 5500 or Ford might not be a bad option considering your preference for a quite driving experience. I am partial to the Ram since the cab does not need to be removed for major engine repair and its a 6 cylinder. There is also the new Chevrolet medium duty trucks that just came out in 45-6500 models. Camperlogic builds campers and is located in MN, they have a build thread if scroll down through the forum in this subsection.

Air suspension seems like another point of failure. You are right a vehicle that size is not going to be amazing offroad, no camper that size will be though regardless, you will have to make compromises somewhere. You can get a shorter wheelbase if you go with a regular cab instead of a crew cab, however Earthroamer doesn't do regular cabs.

Zybane

If it's just a rig to explore North America, the Ram 5500 or Ford might not be a bad option considering your preference for a quite driving experience. I am partial to the Ram since the cab does not need to be removed for major engine repair and its a 6 cylinder. There is also the new Chevrolet medium duty trucks that just came out in 45-6500 models. Camperlogic builds campers and is located in MN, they have a build thread if scroll down through the forum in this subsection

Do you know if any of the big three pickups can get diff lockers these days on their 2 ton trucks? From what I am finding, the answer is no. Especially once you change the gears out to compensate for 41" Continentals. That's why you see videos of Earthroamers getting stuck in wet fields. Effectively turn into 2 WD in some situations.

Darwin

Explorer
Do you know if any of the big three pickups can get diff lockers these days on their 2 ton trucks? From what I am finding, the answer is no. Especially once you change the gears out to compensate for 41" Continentals. That's why you see videos of Earthroamers getting stuck in wet fields. Effectively turn into 2 WD in some situations.
I know on the Ram the rear is atleast a pretty solid limit slip, not sure about the front. I heard from Earthroamer the reason for no front locker is the strain it could put in the drivetrain with such a heavy vehicle. Also, I don't think you need to change gears, the Ram already comes with 4.88's

Here is the build thread I mentioned.
http://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/154891-Xpedition-Camper-out-of-Minnesota/page22

Zybane

I know on the Ram the rear is atleast a pretty solid limit slip, not sure about the front. I heard from Earthroamer the reason for no front locker is the strain it could put in the drivetrain with such a heavy vehicle.

Here is the build thread I mentioned.
http://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/154891-Xpedition-Camper-out-of-Minnesota/page22

Sweet, I'll check them out. I think if I drop down to a 1-ton chassis, I have more off-road capability options. But of course the camper has to be pretty light.

It seems in the EV world, you have a triangle made out of price, capability and size. You move one aspect of the triangle and it changes the other two drastically. I guess it's about finding where the compromises hurt you the least.

Darwin

Explorer
For more offroad capability I would consider a Ram 3500 regular cab, cab and chassis dually converted to singles with a flat bed and Four Wheel camper "grandby " flatbed model. With 37x17 Toyo MT's you get 4300 lbs of load capacity. A regular cab would give you manuravilibity and a short wheelbase.

UHAULER

Explorer
This might meet most of your needs.

http://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/143852-Dodge-Ram-5500-motorhome

B18141D5-DC83-452D-B4A7-04F49F65B5D9_1.jpg

Grenadiers

Adventurer
I can't believe this hasn't sold yet. This might fit a short-term goal, finding a vehicle that allows you to experience overland travel, for a fraction of the cost. We built our Saurer on a budget, knowing that some day, we'd upgrade to something more expensive. However, we're pretty happy with our 'cheap' vehicle, and spending 100-250K doesn't seem to fit in to those long-term plans.

http://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/166217-Unique-2005-F550-Expedition-Camper-68-000

Zybane

For more offroad capability I would consider a Ram 3500 regular cab, cab and chassis dually converted to singles with a flat bed and Four Wheel camper "grandby " flatbed model. With 37x17 Toyo MT's you get 4300 lbs of load capacity. A regular cab would give you manuravilibity and a short wheelbase.

Not interested in pop-ups, but ya the truck is interesting. The hard part is finding a camper worthy of expedition vehicle status remaining within the weight allowance.

Has a rigid mount camper so won't fit my off-road needs, but definitely a nice build.

I can't believe this hasn't sold yet. This might fit a short-term goal, finding a vehicle that allows you to experience overland travel, for a fraction of the cost. We built our Saurer on a budget, knowing that some day, we'd upgrade to something more expensive. However, we're pretty happy with our 'cheap' vehicle, and spending 100-250K doesn't seem to fit in to those long-term plans.

http://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/166217-Unique-2005-F550-Expedition-Camper-68-000

That is a killer price for that unit. Although I am looking for a long term build that could last 30 years.

weissbrewer

Observer
Darwin What 17 inch rims give you the rear axle capacity and proper track to convert to singles with out going the Rickson 19.5 route? I only ask because Rickson is 8 months behind on delivering my singles for my 11 / 3500 Ram

cheers
Steve

Darwin

Explorer
weissbrewer I wouldn't trust Rickson considering some of the reported failures that have been noted on the forum.

On a Ram 2013+ cab and chassis dually the you can run any 17 inch rim since the track width ends up being the same. No need for reversible singles.

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
Oh sweet, so a locking front and rear diff can be had on a Fuso?

Usually the Factory Limited Slip diff in the rear, which works very well, but is not 'locking'. Two options for the front. E-locker (locked, unlocked) or ATB (automatic torque bias).

rruff

Explorer
Not interested in pop-ups
Has a rigid mount camper so won't fit my off-road needs, but definitely a nice build.
I am looking for a long term build that could last 30 years.
I forgot to mention it's just me and my German Shepherd. Don't need a large bed, extra beds etc. Can get by with a twin sized bed.
I'm thinking more like 100 gal's of fresh water and 80 gal of diesel.

Not worried about tree branches? I know, mine isn't pop-up either, but if you are *really* concerned about going everywhere, and want something you can stand in, it's essential.

Do you really need so much water and fuel? Everything can escalate into silly excess if you get carried away. I know for a fact that two people and a dog can be comfortable long term in a '84 Toyota 2wd truck with a homebuilt camper on the back just tall enough to sit up straight. Did all sorts of exploring in that truck for 13 years, from southern Canada to southern Baja. You'd probably be shocked at the places I forced that truck to take us! Carried 10gal of body and dish washing water, plus drinking water. That was enough for a week, and then we'd usually find a place to get a hot shower when we went to town. After bashing in the fuel tank on a rock, it only held about 12gal which was plenty (~300mi range). The only place I wondered about running out was Baja just because the stations didn't always have it, but I never had a problem. I know a hot shower every day is nice, but neither me nor the women I traveled with thought it was necessary. I actually prefer simplicity. Stuff that seems like a "need" in normal life kinda fades away, at least for me. Plus if you are camping near lakes or streams, you've got a water source and you don't need to pack it in.

You might be surprised how little offroad capability you really need as well. I was in a 2wd with an open differential. Did I ever get stuck? Sure, it wasn't an unusual occurrence. But my only recovery equipment was a tire pump. That usually was all it took. A couple times it took me hours of digging and gathering rock and sticks, but I always got out on my own. I avoided mud and snow if possible (easy to do in the west), but drove in sand all the time. And up and down mountains and all sorts of gnarly trails. The bottom of my truck was covered in dents, but the only time it left me stranded was when the fuel pump died.

I guess my point is, you might want to consider your priorities. The best vehicle for "going anywhere" is not a 15klb+ vehicle, with a camper you can stand in. Any 4wd truck (even the 1/2 tons) would make great long term living and exploring rigs for North America, if you do it right.

Oh, and diesels. The only way I'd buy a modern diesel is if there was a good emissions delete kit, and I lived in a state where I wouldn't get inspected.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne