So. Most mint Gen 1 LWB OR FJ100?

vectorsc

Adventurer
So I can get a cherry manual V6 SR with 180k right now or a great shape FJ100 with 298k on it as my next toy?

I am quite familiar with Monteros as we built one of the only manual gen 2.5 3.5 L trucks in the US, and I’ve had 6 other gen 2s.

That said, this FJ100 landcruiser is In great shape.

Both similar price. Thoughts?

Oso

Forest Defecator
First thought: Gen 1 was an earlier model than the SR. The LWB ended in 91. Maybe someone swapped an SR rear end into a gen 1 and added the SR badge?

Second thought: whether Gen 1 or 2, the Mitsubishi driveline is far stronger.

Swank Force One

Adventurer
Disagree. FJ100 is easily as strong if not stronger. Plus you get a good motor.

Don't know the answer to the question though. Nice DD? FJ100. Fun toy with flavor? Gen1 Monty.

FJ sounds like rolling money pit... at 300k
the 6 is a gutless gas hog
the drive train , well i dunno. lotsa banging and bashing on the mitsu. clear difference between nissan and toyota not so clear mitsu / toyota.

Swank Force One

Adventurer
FJ sounds like rolling money pit... at 300k
the 6 is a gutless gas hog
the drive train , well i dunno. lotsa banging and bashing on the mitsu. clear difference between nissan and toyota not so clear mitsu / toyota.

Doesn't have a 6. If it did, it would still be much stronger than the 6g72, and the driveline would definitely be stronger. It has a v8 that makes power and is well known for going 300, 400, 500k miles.

Real world mpg is a wash.

this debate skitters around the net so often. Toyotas endless durability legends are justified.

the argument i make is this: the rigs are neck and neck with Mitsu being the preference due to ride quality and attention to engineering detail.

dissassembling both makes of vehicles doing deep diving mechanical repairs or modifications, my observations are thus.

the drive train is essentially the same. there are variations and mitsu makes some of their own parts whereas toyota outsources. to denso or aisin.:

Automatic transmissions the same

u joints/ drivelines are essentially identical

axles mitsu rear gives nothing away to toyota toyotas "full floater axle design proved unnecessary and expensive. the goofy offset pumpkin makes it impossible to swap out with any other axle. $$$

brakes toyota are easier to change pads, but just marginally

transfer cases different designs but both reliable. mitsu built heavier

rotors both quality steel

Front suspensions
IFS Mitsu designed, toyota adapted. essentially the same. even though toyota used the clever idea of the upper control arm as the spring arm.

3.0 to 3.0 engine both with their problems but most would agree the mitsu a better more reliable engine 6g72 -3vze

Steering: i took my badly neglected (before me) 91 apart after 250K and the factory parts were still serviceable mitsu tops toyota here.

fornt differential Mitsu hands down, though toyota never failed me

live axle to IFS. this is a personal preference issue as such there can be no comparison. the toyota axle , like the mercedes axle and the dana axles are very durable. so no surprises there.

rear axles some toyotas had the double spline axle, i mean full floater design axle. which is way over designed for the weight of the vehicle and is needless engineering.

Double spilnes are much more durable for heavy torque and heavy loads neither of which is evident in these little rigs. so it adds complexity and unneeded engineering. toyota agrees and dropped it.

Toyota engines are brutes.straight 6 and the v8, the 4, the v6 3,4; all great engines except 3vze. my toyotas seldom outperform my mitsu in MPG, though my mitsu is no sterling competitor in this area either. mostly due i believe to my automatic transmission being tired and soggy.

Maintenance cost: hands down, cards on the table mitsu over toyota.

Dealership network: toyota over Mitsu though Mitsu dealers are really nice and pleasant helpful places to spend time.

parts availability : toyota

cost :mitsu

these are dangerous and subjective opinions.

i just dont see any real clear winner one over the other.

Swank Force One

Adventurer
this debate skitters around the net so often. Toyotas endless durability legends are justified.

the argument i make is this: the rigs are neck and neck with Mitsu being the preference due to ride quality and attention to engineering detail. I don't think "ride quality" is something that would go in favor of a Gen1 vs an FJ100. :p

Automatic transmissions the same. Not likely. Only the first couple years of the FJ100 had the A340.

axles mitsu rear gives nothing away to toyota toyotas "full floater axle design proved unnecessary and expensive. the goofy offset pumpkin makes it impossible to swap out with any other axle. $$$ Don't need to swap it out, it's stupid strong and has millions of cheap R&P options.

3.0 to 3.0 engine both with their problems but most would agree the mitsu a better more reliable engine 6g72 -3vze 3vzfe isn't awesome, but it also never came in Land Cruisers, so it's not really part of the discussion. Personally, i think both the 6g72 and 3vzfe are less-than-desirable. The comparison in this case is 6g72 vs. 2UZFE, which isn't even apples to bananas.

Steering: i took my badly neglected (before me) 91 apart after 250K and the factory parts were still serviceable mitsu tops toyota here. Single anecdote doesn't really say much. My Mitsu stuff is completely destroyed on my Gen2 after 170k miles. My FZJ80 looks and feels oem fresh after 209k miles.

live axle to IFS. this is a personal preference issue as such there can be no comparison. the toyota axle , like the mercedes axle and the dana axles are very durable. so no surprises there. The toyota does not have a live front axle. This is an FJ100.

rear axles some toyotas had the double spline axle, i mean full floater design axle. which is way over designed for the weight of the vehicle and is needless engineering.

Double spilnes are much more durable for heavy torque and heavy loads neither of which is evident in these little rigs. so it adds complexity and unneeded engineering. toyota agrees and dropped it. Little rigs? FJ100s are nearly 6000lbs. It also makes twice the torque that the Gen1 does.

Corrections in bold. ;)

All is true and passions flare dramatically among Toyota owners. and all you have written is most agreeable
i too have owned or been owned by both rigs and currently a 470 lexus. even the very first 4x4 tercel in Portland .lord she was ugly.
i can still augmet my assertion that the mitsu gives nothing away to the toyot.

there are pluses/minuses to both but of such a minor degree that the difference is not telling.

We cannot suppose for example there is no chasm of difference like there would be between a mitsu and a fiat.

I personally have a great deal more fun slipping around in my gen 1 mitsu that was given to me as a scrap pile derelict, saving operating costs, have fewer mechanical issues (other than aging electronics) and cost me far less to maintain than have my toyotas. than i do in my lexus. which is soooo boring. in fact she sits in the garage and i have suspended insurance on her.

my mitsu in gen 1 form is also more nimble and don't wallow nearly as much. all personal preferences and subjective.

but it does not shadow the fact that the drive trains of each rig are nearly identical in design and engineering. yes or course there is the 440 and 442 vs. the 340 and whatever my 470 has in it, but what the hall, they are for intents and purposes the same drivetrains as i originally postulated . As such, there can by logical extension, be very little dramatic difference in durability between the two.

Swank Force One

Adventurer
Sure. All personal preference.

These just aren't things i'd cross-shop, in the end. Old school NVH hero boxy toy vs. plush and modern-driving luxobarge with power and hugenormous support.

I'd rather look at and play around with the Gen1 Monty. I'd rather live with/depend on/DD the Cruiser.

I have similar thoughts between my 98 Montero and 94 Cruiser, and those are much closer/similar vehicles than what the OP is asking about.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles