M1101 Build Up

UnknownEntity

New to this forum but have been reading a lot the past few days.

Did some overland adventures with the RTT in the past but we always hated to break camp when we wanted to drive somewhere. After experiencing a few storms inside the RTT and abandoning it for a LONG night sleeping in the LC, the wife said she wanted something we can just park, unhook and use as base camp. The Airstream we used to have was just too much and we wouldn't dare leave the pavement with it. We looked into teardrop trailers but they weren't quite what we wanted either.

I saw some inspirational builds of expedition trailers and would like to try my hand at a build up over the next few months for two trips we have planned for this summer.

Quick and sloppy research led me to win an auction for a M1101 trailer. The ride home was a pain; with no weight it was a rough trip. Some swaying at speed but mainly a bouncy ride. Started at 14 PSI, went up to 20, down to 17 and settled at 15.5. Hitch was mounted as high as I could get it and was just shy of level.

Plans:
* Want to build an enclosed sleeping area for 3+ on the inside with aluminum supported fiberglass topper. Would love to forgo the cargo rack/RTT and do a bug-net enclosed popup roof, but I don't know about that yet.

* Hoping to lower hitch height, improve handling, lower bed height and use Toyota wheel set. Swap out axle and wheels/remove shocks? I don't plan on hauling more than a thousand pounds of gear, so the current setup is WAY more than I need.

* Underbody mounted battery storage

* Underbody mounted water storage

* Spare mount. Don't know if I'd have the room underneath if the water is already there.

Question regarding axle.
Was reading through this thread [M1101 1102 thread for conversion to 12V and matching Land Cruiser spares ] and thought if I'm planning on messing with hubs/axles already, just pull the hydraulic's, switch to electric brakes and go for an axle-less set up. Would something like a Timbren 3,500 lb axle-less straight spindle w/electric brake sound reasonable if I didn't mind spending way more than I wanted? [Timbren/A35RS545E]

I'd post some photos, but I don't seem to have that privilege yet.

Edit
Also looks like I can't post links...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94