F250 Thoughts

Phil8ABug

Well after some lurking on this site for several years I decided it is time to contribute.

The Ford Super Duty has proven to be an amazing vehicle for our family uses and I wanted to share some of our successes and failures. I thought since we've had two different versions of the same truck I could share some information and thoughts. In summary, I would recommend keeping it light and simple. The crew cab short-bed is my preferred form factor. When compared to the RAM Power Wagon it fit our needs better as it still had a rear locker and a adequate payload for work / towing.
20170331_153957r.jpg

Successes:
Versatility-
These vehicles have room for 2 adults, 2 kids and an amazing amount of stuff. When paired with a camper shell it has been versatile beyond belief and I have felt incredibly fortunate to have it on more than one occasion. The towing and payload capacity has made towing our 30ft travel trailer a non issue and it has been good enough off road to get me to anywhere in a national forest that was reasonable based on size.

Rear Locker-
Really, really get this option. With the solid front axle and Cooper ST Maxx tires amazingly capable for a stock vehicle.

Manual Shift Transfer case- This was a great feature, really reassuring to not have a electronic point of failure in that system.

Cooper ST/Maxx Tires- My favorite tire so far out of BFG A/T and Toyo A/T II experiences. There is no comparison in traction in mud or grass. Toyo's were great for interstate travel.

Failures:
Ranch Hand Bumper-
Well its heavy but at least it rusts which is nice. My intent is to do a review on this bumper at some point. I purchased the Sport Series Bumper and like the receiver hitch and winch mount. The powder coating on my example was fairly poor. It didn't bond well to the welds or surfaces like the bands between the uprights. In total seems like an average product, but an aluminum version would be a seller. Purchased through an online seller and think this was probably a second.
20180120_170127r.jpg

20 inch wheels- The first truck had the 17 inch wheels, when paired with 35 inch tires much, much better ride on rough roads. I plan on purchasing 17s or 18s for this truck. 20s do improve stability for towing.

2016 Tailgate Step- Useless. Worse, it really makes the tailgate useless to sit on or use. I loathe this option.

Awareness:
Powerstroke-
Well, it did give me pause when it didn't' make it out of the parking lot without failure. It died going out of the lot due to a bad connector. However, it has been amazingly powerful, reliable, and efficient since. I'd take the gas version if you are looking for a jeep that will tow. I am a big fan of the 6.2 in the truck as the front end just feels lighter and doesn't sink into ruts / fields as easily. Yes, there really is a difference. If you regularly tow over 8,000 lbs the diesel is for you. Just keep a container of DEF in the back as it will run low when you least expect it.

20170529_113705.jpg

Sunroof- I use the sunroof if its over 65f and not actively raining. Love! the sun and light in the cab. However... if you have canoes or kayaks, it can be a concern. relocating the roof rack back to accommodate the sunroof caused a lot of noise on a tunnel hulled kayak before I got it sorted out. With the new panoramic one I can't imagine it got simpler.

20160811_091525r.jpg

Last edited:

LovinPSDs

Adventurer
Any idea the weight difference in the Diesel vs. Gas option?

I completely agree on the tailgate step too. The part I hated was it's raised up, not flush with the bed, which made putting things in the back with a forklift a real pain in the ***. I'd much prefer the standard tailgate. I will say... my old truck had a 4.5" lift and 37s so there was this every once in a while where it was nice to get into the bed, but I wouldn't do that size lift any more.

Phil8ABug

Memory could be off, but it was about 600lbs between the two engine options. I agree on the fork lift scenario. Cutting wood also is a lot harder as it rocks on the handle. Mine is stock height with a camper shell, so really of no benefit. Anyone install the stainless steel tailgate guard from Access? Looks like a good way to get rid of the pole.
Ford fixed this all in the 17+ model, so they are paying attention.

Almost got the long bed!, surprisingly little difference driving the two trucks. I just like green and had the camper shell from Mark I.
Do you use it for gooseneck, truck, camper, sheet goods? Still like the 6.5 ft bed, but we've considered moving to a truck camper from the travel trailer.
Trailer is too big for a lot of the spots we like to be. I usually end up tent camping if going out by myself or with kids. Wifey isn't into the tent thing anymore.

MattF350

Observer
Almost got the long bed!, surprisingly little difference driving the two trucks. I just like green and had the camper shell from Mark I.
Do you use it for gooseneck, truck, camper, sheet goods? Still like the 6.5 ft bed, but we've considered moving to a truck camper from the travel trailer.
Trailer is too big for a lot of the spots we like to be. I usually end up tent camping if going out by myself or with kids. Wifey isn't into the tent thing anymore.
I originally wanted a 1 ton for RV bigger hauling..but since changed my mind. Still no regrets getting it...I love it. I plan on getting a canopy/topper for it later this year. I have yet to utilize the full 8ft, but hope to change that with the topper.

I too considered a truck camper. My payload is around 3600. So to be comfortable and have no real worries, Id go pop up. However...due to price difference between those and a canopy...Ive decided I can use the bed with a canopy in more than one way. Truck camper would be just that. Ive considered getting the canopy then a small trailer (not tear drop size though) for camping needs. But..nothing set in stone.

I would like to note I traded in an 08 Dakota crew cab for this. Simply too small for my needs. Great for driving in snow but thats all.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I've had a 2012, 2016, and now a 2017 F-250, all have been crew cab, short bed, diesels, it's my preferred setup. I agree that the bed step in the 2011-2016 models is more of a nuisance than a benefit, the new design in the 2017+ trucks is spot on though and it makes it worth having. There are part numbers listed for the parts needed to eliminate the arm and keep the tailgate flat like a non-step truck on the 2011-16's, definitely worth looking into if you want to eliminate it. The sunroof and panoramic roof are both nice for their intended purposes, but both make for a liability and a noise magnifier if you put anything on or over the roof, this is the reason why I opted to not get a sunroof in the Power Wagon knowing that it will have stuff mounted up high.

The gasser is lighter over the front end for sure, but if you need a HD truck to actually be used as such then I can't see any other option than the diesel. I am grateful to finally have a gasser and diesel, now I can let the diesel serve it's primary purpose of being a tow rig and the gasser can be our run-about and overland rig. The DEF tank is 10 gallons in the 2017+ trucks so the 2500-3000 mile refill like on the 2011-16 trucks is no longer an issue, 5000-6000+ miles between refills is now the norm on the newer trucks.

These are amazing trucks and IMHO they are the best HD truck currently on the market. I've said it before, if I had to choose only one to keep the Ford would be it. They are excellent out of the box with the only real upgrade needed being the tires. I am leaning towards putting a camper on mine as well, I've just gotta convince the misses.

Dalko43

Explorer
Great to see another member putting their 3/4 ton to good use.

What kind of mpg's are you getting with the Powerstroke?

bapple

I just shopped 2017 F350s and found the payload difference between diesel and gasoline is about 800 lbs. A few dealers said the diesel engine weighs 600 lb more, but none could explain why payloads differed by about 800 lb on equivalent (except engines) trucks. I selected a crew cab longbed lariat with camper and a few other options. Payload is 4,009 lb. Should be enough for the camper build.

TexasSixSeven

Observer
The DPF filter is heavy. While the motor may be around 600 lbs more, the DPF and EGR will tack on a few more pounds. Also, the 6.7 will come with the 6R140 transmission, not the 6R100. I’m sure that will account for a few pounds as well.

The DPF filter is heavy. While the motor may be around 600 lbs more, the DPF and EGR will tack on a few more pounds. Also, the 6.7 will come with the 6R140 transmission, not the 6R100. I'm sure that will account for a few pounds as well.

The F350 gas comes with the same 6R140 transmission. The F250 gas has the 6R100.

topofpalomar

Enthusiast
We just purchased a 2018 F-350 gas 4x4 and so far we love it. Extra cab long bed. It's a big truck for sure, and tall. We're both in our late 60's but we can still haul ourselves up and in without a step.

Ours is an XL with rubber floor mats, upfitter switches, and snow plow prep package. I would have been happy with the manual 4x4 shifter but it came with the "dial on the dash" arrangement. Payload is 3900 lbs. I'll miss the Duramax power we had in our '06 Chevy but the gas motor will be fine for pulling our 18 foot travel trailer or hauling our new-to-us 2012 Cuchara.

Ford trucks really feel truck-like.

We just purchased a 2018 F-350 gas 4x4 and so far we love it. Extra cab long bed. It's a big truck for sure, and tall. We're both in our late 60's but we can still haul ourselves up and in without a step.

Ours is an XL with rubber floor mats, upfitter switches, and snow plow prep package. I would have been happy with the manual 4x4 shifter but it came with the "dial on the dash" arrangement. Payload is 3900 lbs. I'll miss the Duramax power we had in our '06 Chevy but the gas motor will be fine for pulling our 18 foot travel trailer or hauling our new-to-us 2012 Cuchara.

I bought a 2017 F350 crew cab long bed 4x4 gas in December. It's an XL also, so it's pretty basic. Rubber floor mats (first time, love them!), diff lock, brake controller, upfitter switches, plow prep, backup cam, and PW/PD. It had steel wheels until I found a set of take-offs. The ride is very "truck-like", but it is a 1-ton, and the payload is huge. It's definitely a beast.

topofpalomar

Enthusiast
I bought a 2017 F350 crew cab long bed 4x4 gas in December. It's an XL also, so it's pretty basic. Rubber floor mats (first time, love them!), diff lock, brake controller, upfitter switches, plow prep, backup cam, and PW/PD. It had steel wheels until I found a set of take-offs. The ride is very "truck-like", but it is a 1-ton, and the payload is huge. It's definitely a beast.

Sounds almost like ours, but for the crew cab. I'm betting it's white, too. I failed to mention we also got the rear locker, brake controller, backup camera like yours. Also has the skid plates, power equipment group, sync voice system, and xl value package.

I'm hoping the 245-75-17 tires wear out soon so I can upgrade but they are Michelin's so with my luck they'll last forever. I liked the idea of the snow plow prep since it has a bit stronger front springs to support our future bumper/winch plans. That will be awhile, tho. Purse strings have been tightened by the CFO (wife) for the time being.

Sounds almost like ours, but for the crew cab. I'm betting it's white, too. I failed to mention we also got the rear locker, brake controller, backup camera like yours. Also has the skid plates, power equipment group, sync voice system, and xl value package.

I'm hoping the 245-75-17 tires wear out soon so I can upgrade but they are Michelin's so with my luck they'll last forever. I liked the idea of the snow plow prep since it has a bit stronger front springs to support our future bumper/winch plans. That will be awhile, tho. Purse strings have been tightened by the CFO (wife) for the time being.

My truck came with those same 245-75-17 Michelin LTX AT2 tires. I've had them in the past on a F350 CC 4x4, and I think they went 50k miles. I had new tires on order at Discount, but found a guy in Phoenix that sells take offs from dealers. He had a set of 18" tires and rims off a Lariat for $1050. Bought them, and sold the original set for $350.

The plow prep has the max capacity springs in the front (6000 lb), and it includes the extra heavy duty alternator (200 amp for gas, and 220 for diesel).

You are correct, it's white. Do they come in any other color? lol

Explorerinil

Observer

Going from and ifs truck to one with a solid front axle you will notice a different ride, if it bothers you enough look at carli suspension

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles