Teardrop Dilemma

Jmanscotch

is wandering
That's likely my plan (building one)...I'm a DIY'er, very rarely hire anybody to do anything. Time is the biggest factor, so finding one to convert/buy is a compromise...self-employed=24/7/365

There's savings and joy in DIYing, but sometimes buying makes more sense for someone that's time is more valuable. You'll have to make that decision. If you do decide to DIY, tnttt.com is a great DIY teardrop forum with great knowledge and resources.

jonb8

Adventurer
I had $5,000 in mine, and a lot of hours and tools... I do have A/C and heat, and all the electronic goodies.... No onboard water though... It ads up fast when you start building a teardrop so do your homework and price everything.. I priced all the Big stuff but it was the smalls that got me...

16806907_10206412508151662_7862569614083235971_n.jpg

21272591_10207701627938851_1289737009843150356_n.jpg

46flattie

Observer
Researching....

Well the 47 KitKamper was a 4x8 platform, so I declined to pursue it. There will be two of us (empty nest) and a dog, so I am hoping to find or build something a little larger...4.5x9 - 5x10, etc. Researching for a build, but keeping my eyes open for a used one to clean-up or convert.

Thanks for all your input!

Seannyd

If you are somewhat good with your hands I say build your own. There is lots of info on the web and lots of people willing to offer good advice. I built mine and had a blast doing it. It took 6 months and I figure around $5500.00canadian. I bought a trailer frame from a trailer company built to my specs so I can put up to a 33” tire on it. Either way if you build or buy the teardrop trailer is an awesome way to travel.1B344802-CC89-4183-919C-CC63FDF67043.jpeg

46flattie

Observer
Thanks again for the tips and comments....I've been researching for a build and that's likely the way I'll go. Hope to have a design and be ready to go for our down season next winter.

46flattie

Observer
Dilemma no more! As mentioned before I've been slowly planning a build, but in the meantime also watching the market for a used candidate to purchase and modify. (Mostly due to the time thing...) Found a great deal on a clean well maintained 5x8 Pleasant Valley Shadow...basically a stock version/predecessor of Scott B's Little Guy teardrop. (Check out his great build thread in this forum and many thanks to Scott B for the inspiration.)

Immediate plans are to lift it a little, larger tires & fenders and use it!
Longer term likely will be upgrading axle, brakes, and beef up the tongue, add solar power, etc.

Pictures will follow...

46flattie

Observer
Well plans changed a little....jumped right in and cut it up!

Here's a shot of the new sub-frame, 3500# axle with brakes, CJ-7 rear springs/hangers and I'm a sucker for pintle hitches. (Thanks to member wbpolk!) Built the sub-frame from 3x2 and extended it out back to hang the springs and a rear bumper. Plan to add a cross member for upper shock mounts and a tie forward for the receiver in the rear bumper. Increased tongue length for the box and to clear swing a-way spare tire carrier on the Jeep. The original frame for the tear drop is light gauge 2x2 and will sit on top.
IMG_2700[1].JPG

Little spooky getting the tear drop up in the air, getting ready to remove 2000# axle, and tongue....plastic fenders gone
IMG_2701[1].JPG

test fit....
IMG_2704[1].JPG

Checking for level with tow vehicle....
IMG_2707[1].JPG

Laying out fenders.....the uni-strut shackles only temp for determining length of permanent shackles
IMG_2709[1].JPG

final shackles are fabricated, upper shock mounts/cross member installed and getting ready for fenders.....more pictures coming

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles