Propex furnace not firing

Srpat

Observer
Wondering if anybody here might be able to help me out. I have one of the newer models of the propex heatsource furnace. Modell 2211. This is the one that can be mounted on its side or on a ceiling. I bought it last fall and only got to use it for a couple nights. Worked fine. Went on a camping trip this weekend and it wouldn't ignite. Switch on, propane on, and heat set to high and the fan would just run continuously. There are no error codes that light up, and no attempt at igniting the flame.

I know there is an air flow sensor on older models that could cause a problem like this, but this is a newer model. And that problem caused 5 flashing lights as the error code.

There are also problems with the spark gap not being set right, but that seems to have the furnace attempt to light and then shut off after a few seconds.

My first guess is to try a new propane regulator valve. I don't know why it would be an issue since it worked last fall, but it's easier than opening up the furnace to take a look.

After that I can open the furnace and see what there is to see. Any other ideas? Maybe a wiring issue with the thermostat not sending the call for heat?

And where the heck to you get parts if it is a parts problem? There are a few vendors that sell them, but nobody really seems to sell parts, including the propex vendors in the UK where it is made.

Thanks for any help

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
Propex

My newer Propex had a similar problem. The fan would start as soon as you applied power and run forever. Sometimes the heat would work too. Sometimes it would not. Weeks of troubleshooting finally lead to the fact that at least one of the wires had backed out of the long electrical connection on the "system board" inside the heater.

To be clear, in my case is was the strip where all the wires from the thermostat plug into the board inside the Propex. I had to look really close to see it (was just the black wire that wasn't in all the way). This lead to an intermittent connection. Would be an easy thing for you to check. Good luck.

Srpat

Observer
Should have started with finding the user manual. It did a lock out for the gas connection. Why it did that, I have no idea. But it was a simple matter of turning the power on, off, and on again with the thermostat.

Hopefully will work next week for our spring break camping trip.

My newer Propex had a similar problem. The fan would start as soon as you applied power and run forever. Sometimes the heat would work too. Sometimes it would not. Weeks of troubleshooting finally lead to the fact that at least one of the wires had backed out of the long electrical connection on the "system board" inside the heater.

To be clear, in my case is was the strip where all the wires from the thermostat plug into the board inside the Propex. I had to look really close to see it (was just the black wire that wasn't in all the way). This lead to an intermittent connection. Would be an easy thing for you to check. Good luck.

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
Should have started with finding the user manual. It did a lock out for the gas connection. Why it did that, I have no idea. But it was a simple matter of turning the power on, off, and on again with the thermostat.

Hopefully will work next week for our spring break camping trip.

Cool. I have also found that it's best to connect the 12 volt last. If you connect the propane line, but forget to open the propane valve...then it it will sometimes do a lockout. I think.

Someday we will have digital readout on our Propex heaters that will just tell us what's wrong with them. :)

Semi-Hex

Enfant Terrible
It’s a not well known but you should be running these heaters at least monthly. Apparently, the propane of the valve gets gummed up just sitting there.

Last edited:

gvb40

Wondering if anybody here might be able to help me out. I have one of the newer models of the propex heatsource furnace. Modell 2211. This is the one that can be mounted on its side or on a ceiling. I bought it last fall and only got to use it for a couple nights. Worked fine. Went on a camping trip this weekend and it wouldn't ignite. Switch on, propane on, and heat set to high and the fan would just run continuously. There are no error codes that light up, and no attempt at igniting the flame.

I know there is an air flow sensor on older models that could cause a problem like this, but this is a newer model. And that problem caused 5 flashing lights as the error code.

There are also problems with the spark gap not being set right, but that seems to have the furnace attempt to light and then shut off after a few seconds.

My first guess is to try a new propane regulator valve. I don't know why it would be an issue since it worked last fall, but it's easier than opening up the furnace to take a look.

After that I can open the furnace and see what there is to see. Any other ideas? Maybe a wiring issue with the thermostat not sending the call for heat?

And where the heck to you get parts if it is a parts problem? There are a few vendors that sell them, but nobody really seems to sell parts, including the propex vendors in the UK where it is made.

Thanks for any help
Try Van Cafe.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles