2007 grand Vitara good place to start for smaller rig?

vectorsc

Adventurer
I’m considering getting an 07 vitara for a smaller overlanding Light rig. I have a g wagen for the Big Stuff now but want something more practical.

How do these work out practicality wise?

Sorry for the odd caps. Damn iPhone.

perterra

Adventurer
I had an 07, very capable off road, but also very lacking in ground clearance. Timing chain cover leaks on the V6 can be an issue if the tensioner wear out, only 2 problems I had were headlight bulbs blowing due to crappy connectors and brake noise issue that no one was ever able to solve. There are retrofit connectors that solve the headlight issue, brakes, who knows? I was never able to solve the problem for over a thousand miles, could get it quiet, then within a thousand miles it would start over. I have heard freight trains with quieter brakes. Tried new drums, new wheel bearings, back plates, 2 sets of shoes. Dealer had it for about a month trying to correct it under warranty.

Paddy

Adventurer
Suzuki has been the quiet king of practicality ever since they first brought the samurai. The modern ones are cheap to buy, easy to work on and very reliable. They are mostly built with full length cab on frame, straight rear axles with 5 link and ifs front end and true 4wd. I've owned one most of the last 20 years and I'm only on my second lol. One of the last basic vehicles ever made really.

Paddy

Adventurer
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2FUUQAjnOC0

Vitara seems to get more respect in other countries than USA. Once you get into a foreign vein of YouTube’s you find tons of people getting it done in Suzuki’s. They are just small enough and light enough to get away with stuff that would break a bigger rig.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier