Tepui hinge not engaging

markwin

Hi all

I just bought the Tepui Kukenam sky from REI and am seeing an issue where the base hinge seems to be engaging properly.

As far as I can tell there isn't anything impeding the tent fully opening but the hinge is not engaged and with load only comes further off alignment.

Is there something I am doing wrong on the setup or install or could this be a manufacturing defect?

Thanks

Hinge: https://imgur.com/a/gBY2J

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Have you asked Tepui directly yet? I've always had good service/ response from them.

I can't see your picture, but I have owned 3 Tepui tents and can say:

Any time I've had a hinge that didn't engage properly, it was almost always associated with the ladder setup being wonky. It takes a bit to really get the ladders right, and the setup can vary based on terrain. Sometimes you have to be flatter in order to get the ladder to lock in at the right step.

With that being said, my latest tent is a Kukenam Sky, and sometimes I can't seem to get the hinge engaged well either. It usually will lock in with a good tug on the outer edge by the door, but it often pops out unless evenly loaded, so I'm interested to hear how you resolve it.

Good luck.

grogie

Like to Camp
You need to make sure that the u-shape thing is slid into its hole. (I'm not sure what they're actually called.) On my Tepui, the two have not always slide in together, or completely, but I just push one side towards the other. Did you try? Once they're together, you should be good to go.

Kevin108

Explorer
You have the ladder setup too high. It takes weight (pre-load, really) to make the hinge engage and stay together. You can also slide the halves toward each other. Make sure your mattress cover or some other material isn't pinched in the hinge. These are all typical points of adjustment when setting up a rooftop tent.

seekerbeta

Observer
if its like my TJM, sometimes one will warp a little, look where its binding (USUALLY IN THE MIDDLE) and push up, then the tent will engage fully on the U Track

Box Rocket

One other trick. It doesn't take much but if you push up on the base from underneath near the hinge seam while pulling down the edge where the ladder is, the tongue and groove will often pop into place. With new tents its not uncommon for there to be a bit of stiffness there at first. It should get smoother as it gets broken in.

markwin

Sorry for the belated response. Thanks all for the help. Turns out it was likely just the straps caught in the hinge. Took a trip and spent a few nights in the tent and everything went smoothly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles