Floor insulation ideas... FWC

Skinhyfish

Observer
I was going to put down some flooring we had left over in our house to jazz up our FWC. What have you guys that custom built campers used as an insulation layer under floor pieces? Nothing to thick, but thought we could keep some cold out if we could on floor. Tha nKS for suggestions guys

Zach

Ray Hyland

Expedition Leader
Actually plywood is an amazingly efficient thermal and sound insulator. And it's easy to put your home flooring down over a plywood subfloor.

GoinBoardin

Observer
My FWC rebuild has a steel tubed floor frame with 1" XPS between the tubes, sandwhiched with 6mm ply on top and 3/4" ply below. It's better insulated than the roof! I hate cold feet... Hard to do that without a full floor pack rebuild though.

You could place a sheet of XPS under the camper when you put it in the truck, that would be about the easiest option. Downside is you end up raising the camper the thickness of the XPS. I've used ~1/4" thick foam laid down under laminate flooring when installed in concrete basements; that wouldn't be as insulating as 1" XPS but may work for you.

What kind of flooring are you putting in the camper?

southpier

Expedition Leader
amazing difference in the van ceiling height with just a 5/8" floor thickness increase (70 durometer 1/4" rubber isolation pads w/ 9mm plywood & sheet vinyl).

if you put down your flooring material, and then a removable area rug, maybe with a pad underneath, it may be the best of cleanliness & insulative worlds.

craig333

Expedition Leader
A flooring contractor was finishing up putting 2'x2' pieces of super heavy carpet in a medical building and handed me enough to do the camper. I toss a piece of indoor outdoor carpet on top of that for easy cleaning.

sumnrfam

Options,,,

For our Eagle,, I picked up a pack of the 24"x24"x1/2" interlocking foam (EVA I believe), flooring tiles from Costco.

Trimmed them to fit wall to wall dimensions, front to back and side to side, and then put our indoor outdoor carpet back down over that :sombrero:. Have been extremely happy with it, even in with low temps in the teens the floor is comfy on bare feet :coffeedrink:

brp

Observer
I'll second the interlocking tiles. I got some foam tiles from foamtiles.com. It's cheap, easy to work with, provides thermal, sound and surface in one product, lightweight. They are not super durable, but that's ok for me becuase you just snap in a new one if you want. They have many colors, appearances, textures. Make sure you've got a fresh blade to cut them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles