Propane tank... anyone added a permanently mounted tank underneath? General Questions

Mwilliamshs

Explorer
First off, no to the adjustability. Propane fixtures all run on 11" w.c. pressure. No need for adjusting up or down unless you want to fine tune your burner gas usage to perfect. Which isn't needed at all. You will probably burn say 19,940 BTUs in a 20,000 btu fixture, for example.

Second, yes to propane fittings. Non rated fittings use different rubber compounds in the seals. The propane can eat at the seals causing premature wear. The seals in a propane quick connect are designed for natural gas, propane etc. The gas will not corrode the rubber.

Also, "air is air" statement is false. It's a gas, not the air we breathe. Different components react differently with compounds. Propane is a carbon hydrogen mixture. It's not O2 with 80% nitrogen. Not even close.

A regulator has nothing to do with the tank. Get a regulator that works in the orientation you are putting it (horizontal vs vertical).

Hope this helps.

Quoted because it's all true and worth reading a 2nd time.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
My old '70s campervan has a 5g Manchester horizontally mounted tank. It has all the appropriate ID info. No propane refill place has ever looked at that info.

Sometimes the pump jockey will balk a bit when I tell him "there's no OPD, so use the bleeder". Some of them have never actually filled a tank without an OPD so I have to instruct them on how to do it.

Horizontal tanks manufactured prior to October 1998 are exempt from OPD requirements.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles