First urban experience success

rossiter78

Observer
Last weekend we successfully completed our first urban stealth camping experience.

Platform: I decided to do a minimalist conversion of a retired ambulance. Basically I just removed some of the lettering and emergency vehicle symbols and installed a bed platform. I still need to replace some light lenses, but I think I am technically legal right now as long as I don't turn on the lights :)

Experience: This experience was only about 30 minutes from my home, but made for a great experiment. Basically I was planning to go to a concert. The standard concert experience involves going to a nearby bar, ordering a drink or two, going to the show, possible afterparty, then Uber/Lyft back home to let the dog out, etc. But, now that I have a stealth camper of sorts I noticed a parking lot for a park just 2 blocks from the venue. So...why not test out my new rig? I had a couple of friends meet at my house where we all rode together in the ambulance. Parking was pretty easy and I noticed that the sign suggested it was totally cool to park there all weekend. Once parked, we turned on a little music and hosted a happy hour right in the ambulance! Once show time started we walked the easy 2 blocks to the venue and had a great time. After the show we hosted another little happy hour to show off the new rig to some friends that were also at the show. Then we gave the dog a walk in the park and walked to an after party. Quite late we made our way back to the park, turned on the heat (indoor safe propane heater), cuddled up and got some sleep while our friends took the standard route and took a lyft home. In the morning we woke up to a bustling park full of walkers, bike riders, dogs, etc - what an awesome front yard! We visited the library to take care of bios before walking over to get food.

We finished off the adventure with a nearby hike then pulling over at an awesome overlook on the way home to watch a storm come in over the mountains. I've always wanted a view like this from my back yard :)
storm.jpg

All in all, I'd say this was a huge success! I thought my girlfriend would be weird about urban camping but she loved it! We learned some things to make the experience better next time as expected, but we both arrived home feeling like there will be many more adventures like this in both urban and wild settings!

mass

Observer
Did you grab any photos of your setup in the incognito setting?

2¢ FYI: Be careful of hosting 'happy hours' inside any vehicle, as you can still technically (depending on your municipality) be charged DUI inside the vehicle... 2

Foy

Explorer
A particularly unfortunate DUI

Did you grab any photos of your setup in the incognito setting?

2¢ FYI: Be careful of hosting 'happy hours' inside any vehicle, as you can still technically (depending on your municipality) be charged DUI inside the vehicle... 2

Yes, here in NC an occupant of a vehicle parked on the shoulder of a road or in a city parking space can be charged with DUI even if the vehicle is not driven or has not been observed by law enforcement being driven. If it's on a public roadway/parking space and the key is in the ignition, an occupant can be charged with DUI.

danfromsyr

Adventurer
also note that 'relieving' oneself in a public space (indecent exposure) can potentially take you down the sex offender rabbit hole.
older people don't speak 'wisdom' and 'warnings' to spoil your fun and freedoms..

they speak from experience(s), either personal or close to home.

wisdom is learned not taught

even these cautions will most likely fall on deaf ears until you or a personal acquaintance run afoul.
then the bell will ring in your memory.

gdaut

Sounds like a fun time. From the picture of the nearby hike, your definition of "urban" is not too urban. My kind of city.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles