Tips for cutting out door panels on a Sprinter Van > ?

Bravo30

Anybody have any tips or tricks for cutting 1/4'' Birch plywood panels to fit over the rear doors on a Sprinter Van ?

Last edited:

XpoNoobie

Observer
Cardboard works fine, just use good scissors and dont do a hack job. Use the stuff thats like thick paper and then use a dowel to trace the outline. Should be vids on youtube to help

jgaz

Adventurer
Are you making any panels that are repeated more than once? Maybe some are a mirror image of the opposite side?

If yes, it might be worth the time to make a pattern out of hardboard aka Masonite. You can work the edges of this material easily with a drum sander in a drill or drill press. Flat edges can be finished with a sanding block. After you have shaped your pattern, cut your finish panel material close to size and finish cutting it to size with a router using a pattern bit that will follow your pattern shape with a bearing.

This will result in a very nicely finished panel but will only be worth the effort to make a pattern if there are multiples involved. Since you're using 1/4” plywood the first panel you make could be the pattern for the multiples.

jgaz

Adventurer
If you don't want to use card board I've had good luck making patterns with clear acetate. Just tape the sheet into place, trace your desired outline with a sharpie, cut with scissors, and transfer the outline to your finished material.

This has the advantage of allowing you to see through the pattern material to trace the desired shape.

Rezarf <><

Explorer
Filling the majority of the space to be shaped with cardboard or chipboard, then span the final edges with 2" masking tape and tape the panel into place. A double layer of masking tape is good, three is better. Trim the size of the opening with an exacto knife or use a sharpie to get the "line." Remove the cardboard with the tape attached and you can then stick it onto the plywood and cut along the edge or line... which ever method you used.

rayra

Expedition Leader
If you don’t want to use card board I’ve had good luck making patterns with clear acetate. Just tape the sheet into place, trace your desired outline with a sharpie, cut with scissors, and transfer the outline to your finished material.

This has the advantage of allowing you to see through the pattern material to trace the desired shape.

This idea, but with a thick clear poly tarp. Temp-tape it on the interior like a drum head skin. Then you can also mark any support bracing for drilling holes for attachment hardware. The OP is talking about interior skins, correct?

southpier

Expedition Leader
or use the gravestone rubbing process with a wax crayon. I will use mat board rather than cardboard. poster board is too flimsy. start with the easiest panel and work your way down the drain.

depending how you will attach them, there may be a need for hand access. on the GMC, I used these: https://www.amazon.com/Parrishs-Mag...srs=2598199011&ie=UTF8&qid=1521794442&sr=8-10 cut into the door panels with the intention of framing them and adding a couple of cross bars to hold soft goods. there are a bunch of different sizes. haven't quite finished that, yet.

if you ever need to access the door cavity, or hide contraband, it's a simple matter of unscrewing the box rather than take the whole panel off.

or use the gravestone rubbing process with a wax crayon. I will use mat board rather than cardboard. poster board is too flimsy. start with the easiest panel and work your way down the drain.

depending how you will attach them, there may be a need for hand access. on the GMC, I used these: https://www.amazon.com/Parrishs-Mag...srs=2598199011&ie=UTF8&qid=1521794442&sr=8-10 cut into the door panels with the intention of framing them and adding a couple of cross bars to hold soft goods. there are a bunch of different sizes. haven't quite finished that, yet.

if you ever need to access the door cavity, or hide contraband, it's a simple matter of unscrewing the box rather than take the whole panel off.

Are these aluminum? I looked through the description and didn't see it. Do you know of any in stainless?

Bravo30

This idea, but with a thick clear poly tarp. Temp-tape it on the interior like a drum head skin. Then you can also mark any support bracing for drilling holes for attachment hardware. The OP is talking about interior skins, correct?

yes, interior skins ...

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
I used heavy duty paper (like you might roll out on the floor if you're painting. First a rough cut, then taped in to the door. Marked edges with a sharpie, cut where I could etc until it felt right. Then traced onto birch plywood. Trimmed/sanded as needed.

I made mine with the doors closed so the interior panels cover as much as possible.

Untitled by Brian Wilson, on Flickr
Untitled by Brian Wilson, on Flickr

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne