2011 Ram DRW to SRW Conversion?

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
A 20” tire with a min. 3900 lb. load rating DOES NOT FIT on a stock Ram 3500, they are all too tall.

Who told you this?!

Toyo AT in 295/65r20 fits stock RAM 20" wheels and has 4080# rating per tire. I ran them for 35000 miles on a bone stock 2014 3500. You are making incorrect assumptions about what fits. 35s fit HD Rams stock. You MIGHT get slight rubbing on the control arms with stock wheels. With aftermarket wheels with about 20mm of backspacing the fit with no rubbing at all. 35s fitting on 4th gen Rams stock is pretty common knowledge.

Mundo4x4Casa

West slope, N. Ser. Nev.
It's kind of old tech, but the game rules are the same no matter what year. I'm very happy with my Stockton Wheel steel 10"x16", so-called, "Power wagon" wheels on the rear axle. These have a solid (no cut outs) 1/2 inch steel plate center hubs with what looks like 4500/5500 thickness DOT approved rims. They are not going to break.

7.5 inch wide stock Dodge Ram steel wheel on the front and the 10 inch wide super single on the rear

My aluminum 12 inch wide super singles did break. Too low on the load rating.

I'm running 315 x 75 R16 AT3's, @ 35 inches tall. 10 inch wide tread on 10 inch wide wheels with 4.5 inch back spacing on the rear axle.
The first question to ask is, "For what are you going to use the truck?" If you are going to be on light dirt roads with no mud, snow, sand or rocks, a 19.5 wheel/tire will fit the bill. No matter what you've been told, 19.5's do not deflate well enough to progress over blow sand. Not enough sidewall for floatation.
The best compromise on wheel size if you are going for high weight rating AND ability to deflate a ways for sand, snow, or mud is an 18 inch wheel with the tallest tire that will fit in your front fender well, with or without trimming. 18 is also the size that has the largest array of high capacity tires, and you don't need beadlocks for 18's. You do need bead locks for any ".5" tire (19.5; 16.5). It's the shape of the safety bead. Fitting around the front disc brakes is also an issue. Make sure you have clearance.
I originally ran super single 33 x 15.50's on 12 inch wide aluminum wheels, which were singularly the best tire under my camper, ever, and had a very low ground pressure with the tread @ 20 pounds of air, wallowing out to about 18 inches wide and 15 inches long as a patch. Alas, they are not made any more. I keep my aluminum wheels and super wide tires for times when I run the dunes.

Stockton Wheel will custom make 10 inch x 18 inch wheels with a stock 6.25 inch back spacing. The woe with many of the aftermarket wheels for off-road trucks is the back spacing. Too far out on the spindle, difficult to fit on narrower jeep trails, and widens the track too much. Tough on wheel bearings and steering parts. There are a lot of 18's with a high load rating.
jefe

Last edited:

sourdough

Adventurer
Who told you this?!

Toyo AT in 295/65r20 fits stock RAM 20" wheels and has 4080# rating per tire. I ran them for 35000 miles on a bone stock 2014 3500. You are making incorrect assumptions about what fits. 35s fit HD Rams stock. You MIGHT get slight rubbing on the control arms with stock wheels. With aftermarket wheels with about 20mm of backspacing the fit with no rubbing at all. 35s fitting on 4th gen Rams stock is pretty common knowledge.

The wheel was 20x10. A 295 on a 10" wide wheel would mount but be unusual. As for 35" tall tires fitting, go to any of this threads and tell them all about it ...https://www.google.com/search?ei=JC.......0...1.1.64.psy-ab..0.0.0....0.ITf7heTxlf0

Tire rub means they don't fit!

Last edited:

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
The wheel was 20x10. A 295 on a 10" wide wheel would mount but be unusual. As for 35" tall tires fitting, go to any of this threads and tell them all about it ...https://www.google.com/search?ei=JC.......0...1.1.64.psy-ab..0.0.0....0.ITf7heTxlf0

That exact same search is how I ended up with 35s on my stock 20s on my 2014 3500. They fit perfectly. My stock tires were almost 34" tall. You can assume they don't but I assure you they do. I've seen too many stock trucks with 35x12.50s on stock wheels to think otherwise. I'm just trying to show you that there are plenty of choices for 4000# rated tires on a stock 3500. If you don't want to believe those facts from me, that's ok.

Here's Don Thuren's take on it.
https://www.thurenfabrication.com/tech/tire-and-wheel-fitment.html

js9234

Observer
I am well aware of there being plenty of 4000 lb rated tires for a Ram 3500. My Ram/Tiger RV has 18” “F" rated 3970 lb. tires and 4,500 lb. wheels. Tires are 33.6 tall and no rubbing at full suspension compression and or steering stop to stop. Also, I know true 35” tall tires on a stock Ram 3500 rub doing the same comparison. Plenty of folks think rubbing is OK. Vehicle manufacturers, tire makers and myself, do not think rubbing is OK.
Give it a rest already. Slight rubbing doesn't hurt anything. 37's will fit with the right backspacing with minimal to no rubbing.

marshal

Burrito Enthusiast
A Power Wagon suspension is not the same as a Ram 3500. BTW, If your tire rubs, it doesn’t properly fit. FYI, Vehicle manufactures do not fit tires that rub for a reason. Contact your tire makers tech department. Tell them, LOL

the only difference is my suspension is 2" higher than a standard, which makes exactly 0 difference on useful tire fitment. The tire isn't the reason they rub, its the offset of the wheel i picked. if i had chosen to run an AEV wheel, i would not have experienced any rubbing. And the rubbing i do experience is at 75% lock at full stuff.

I know you're totally blinded by incorrect information and lack of reasoning - but i'll point out again that you're totally wrong in this subject and you're reaching for validation.

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
You've only been here a couple of months. You're doing a great job of making friends. Keep it up.

Now where's the ignore button.

Last edited:

js9234

Observer
You pull one thread out of a hundred and diss me, LOL. Like I said the rub is your problem not mine. Get over your self, you have nothing but a personal opinion. Designers and engineers do not support your opinion
YOU are the only one saying it's a problem so it's YOUR problem. You have serious comprehension problems. Get over my self? LOL YOU are the one pushing your incorrect opinion as fact because you saw a 10 yr old forum through google. Didn't know you spoke for all designers and engineers. Oh, that's right, you're just speaking about the ones you googled from 10 yrs ago that push your opinion on others as fact.

Darwin

Explorer
If you don't want any rub go for the smaller tires, if you can tolerate some slight rubbing go for the larger tires. Seems pretty simple. As a matter of preference some are willing to sacrifice some slight rubbing in order to run a larger tire. You could put me in that camp. I would go for the 35's.

steviebam

I wen't with this option for my 2500, srw. Accuride 9x22.5 with michelin 29560r22.5

Great for the highway, smooth as butter. Rims rated at 10k and tires rated at 7k.Slight rub at full lock.

Attachments

• 20170712_182447.jpg
    20170712_182447.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 60

weissbrewer

Observer
sourdoughben
Good Morning sir,
Did you use a spacer in the rear to get track correct with the method NV wheels? Tired of waiting on Rickson
Thnx
Steve

weissbrewer

Observer
No spacers, rear is 2"'s wider, close enough for me. Track width measured from inside edge of Method wheel rim to rim. rear 63.5", front 61.5" My Ram has Yukon SRW model manual Hubs on front axle. These mount wheel much narrower than stock unit bearing DRW or DRW Yukon mounting widths which where 3" wider each side.
When I was first looking into this SRW conversion I was led to believe I would need rear spacers. SRW front vs DRW front is 6" and then I would have needed 2" spacers. I have been told the stock front axle with unit bearings has a cast 3" spacer that could be removed. There is a spacer but I don't know what is involved removing them. I wanted manual hubs and the better bearing setup. Plus the front wheels would have stuck out to far for my wants.
Thanks Ben! Sounds like i would end up with an inch narrower on the rear if I remove the front Dually spacer. Saw the twin to your Tiger in Yarmouth maine a bit ago very sharp!
Steve

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles