2011 Ram DRW to SRW Conversion?

weissbrewer

Observer
So I have been waiting close to a year for Rickson to make me wheels to convert my Dually. I want to retain and not derate my rear axle capacity. I am wondering if anyone has had found a viable alternative to keep track and weight rating in spec for a gen 4 ram drw to srw conversion? Google tells me Vision in 19.5 but would prefer an 18 or 20 inch wheel and tire combo
thnx
Steve

weissbrewer

Observer
I emailed them a couple of days ago, trying not to lift, I plow with this truck do not see Ram 3500 as supported on their list. Thnx for the input
Anyone try the Vision Heavy Haulers?

sourdough

Adventurer
ram3500 drw to srw

I am in the process of going SRW on my DRW Ram 3500 4x4. Method 305 NV/HD wheels are rated @ 4,500 lbs. I'm putting Nitto Ridge Grapplers 305x65r18's. rated @ "F" 3,950 lbs. My ram 3500 dually had Yukon free spin hubs. I am converting the hubs to SRW (3" narrower on each side) with Yukon parts. I'm pretty sure to keep the track in line I'll need steel 1" wheel spacers on the rear. Waiting for wheels and tires to arrive to mount and confirm track widths. IMO, dual rear wheels just don't work well in sand. I looked into 19.5 Rickson, 1st Attack 20x11's both a bad idea on my Ram 3500

Last edited:

sourdough

Adventurer
why not? They don't fit a stock Ram 3500. They weigh twice as much and cause stress on stock components. Price is double and carrying a spare is a major location problem.

Last edited:

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
As said above, Method NV HDs for 4500# each. Toyo makes ATs in 35" 18s and 20s with 4080#/tire and 37" 17s with 4300#/tire. That's a ton of weight for single normal tires.

weissbrewer

Observer
thanks!

Thanks for the input need to look at the method backspacing, they are not hub centric correct? I am also concerned about losing rear axle rating of a bit over 400#:coffee: need to do that math

weissbrewer

Observer
I am in the process of going SRW on my DRW Ram 3500 4x4. Method 305 NV/HD wheels are rated @ 4,500 lbs. I'm putting Nitto Ridge Grapplers 305x65r18's. rated @ "F" 3,950 lbs. My ram 3500 dually had Yukon free spin hubs. I am converting the hubs to SRW (3" narrower on each side) with Yukon parts. I'm pretty sure to keep the track in line I'll need steel 1" wheel spacers on the rear. Waiting for wheels and tires to arrive to mount and confirm track widths. IMO, dual rear wheels just don't work well in sand. I looked into 19.5 Rickson, 1st Attack 20x11's both a bad idea on my Ram 3500

Sourdough, let me know where you end up please, Rickson was a bad idea because of lack of low tire pressure ability in the sand?
Thnx
Steve

sourdough

Adventurer
Sourdough, let me know where you end up please, Rickson was a bad idea because of lack of low tire pressure ability in the sand?
Thnx
Steve
I have ordered 5 Method NV/HD wheels and 5 Nitto 305x65r18 Ridge Grapplers a 12 ply "F" rating more than enough for the 6,500 lbs. on the rear axle. Because this tire/wheel will be about 5.75" positive from hub mount surface, I installed 3.5" Bushwhacker pocket fender flares to cover them. At the rear I'll have no stick out issue because the Tiger coach body is more than wide enough to cover. FYI, my 3500 has the snow plow prep pkg. I'm told without a 500 lb. plow, the front sets a little higher than normal with more tire clearance. By my measurements, my new 33.6 tall tires are going to be a close fit on front. No problem at bumper because I have a Aluminess bumper. The rear of the front tire is going to be very close to the cab fenderwell. I dought I could run 35" tires without a lift kit. Lifting is not a good idea for my tall chassis mounted Tiger RV coach.
I did not like 19.5 tires for many reasons stated in post #6. Not to mention their low 65/75 MPH speed rating. On the interstate I run 75/80 often. Anyway IMO, if you are going to typically be carrying more than 4 tons! on your 3500. You need a 4500/5500 truck. I feel my truck is safe at 11,300 lbs. but at it's factory limits.

Last edited:

weissbrewer

Observer
I have ordered 5 Method NV/HD wheels and 5 Nitto 305x65r18 Ridge Grapplers a 12 ply "F" rating more than enough for the 6,500 lbs. on the rear axle. Because this tire/wheel will be about 5.75" positive from hub mount surface, I installed 3.5" Bushwhacker pocket fender flares to cover them. At the rear I'll have no stick out issue because the Tiger coach body is more than wide enough to cover. FYI, my 3500 has the snow plow prep pkg. I'm told without a 500 lb. plow, the front sets a little higher than normal with more tire clearance. By my measurements, my new 33.6 tall tires are going to be a close fit on front. No problem at bumper because I have a Aluminess bumper. The rear of the front tire is going to be very close to the cab fenderwell. I dought I could run 35" tires without a lift kit. Lifting is not a good idea for my tall chassis mounted Tiger RV coach.
I did not like 19.5 tires for many reasons stated in post #6. Not to mention their low 65/75 MPH speed rating. On the interstate I run 75/80 often. Anyway IMO, if you are going to typically be carrying more than 4 tons! on your 3500. You need a 4500/5500 truck. I feel my truck is safe at 11,300 lbs. but at it's factory limits.

I get it now, My truck is rated at 13400 gvw and 9400 # rear so just trying to get the best combination possible. i do run 80 plus and tow a lot as well. i found some 19.5 Continentals that were rated at i believe 86mph. Hope it works out well for you!
Cheers
Steve

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
I have a set of Vision 19.5's on a Vintage Step Van. The Vision wheels are a nice aluminum wheel and I like the 19.5 tires HOWEVER I am running a All-Season tread and not going off-road therefore I am not versed in the tire offerings for off-road 19.5's.

The 19.5 tires will run forever mileage wise and haul the weight.

Attachments

• 00b0b_lX7estCipGL_600x450.jpg
    00b0b_lX7estCipGL_600x450.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 32

marshal

Burrito Enthusiast
why not? They don't fit a stock Ram 3500. They weigh twice as much and cause stress on stock components. Price is double and carrying a spare is a major location problem.

i fail to understand the problem with those issues, as if you're wanting to convert to super singles, you need to also move to commercial/military tires of a significantly larger size to support the weight capacity of the vehicle unless you find normal tires at higher load ratings than E. the stock 3500 bearing components on the front axle are the same ones issued on the 5500's, the rear axle is only larger because of a higher weight load rating

and for reference, the 20x10 Hutchinson MRAP wheels are 75lbs fully assembled.

EDIT: i wasn't aware the ridge grapplers were available in F load

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
Thanks for the input need to look at the method backspacing, they are not hub centric correct? I am also concerned about losing rear axle rating of a bit over 400#:coffee: need to do that math

There are enough people running Methods on HD Rams and Superdutys that I wouldn't worry about the lack of hub centric centering at all. My Methods with 36" Toyos frankly are smoother than the stock wheel and tire setup at highway speeds.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier