One of the great things about a Suburban...

phsycle

Adventurer
I'd love to see a 3/4 size NV based on the Frontier (rather than the Titan) with the 4.0 V6 and 4wd from the factory.

That would pique my interest, too. About the size between their Quest minivan and the NV. Boxy van, but not as cumbersome to drive as the full-size NV. But with plenty of storage available, and if we're playing "they should", put me down for a high roof version!

Clutch

<---Pass
Vans have essentially become the SUV's of yesteryears. I look at the Nissan NV and think how awesome they would be (only if they came in 4WD). I was looking at SUV's and thought I could probably make do with rear cargo covers:
https://www.duluthtrading.com/store...uck-and-car-gear/58505.aspx?processor=content

But I'd still need to be careful loading stuff, and that separate cargo area for smelly stuff would make life better as well. Both have pros and cons, though. If the NV came as a 4WD stock, I might be swayed to get one of those. Interior room is ridiculous. And the gigantic roof means so much cargo room with a rack up there.

DHuang21.jpg

Ha! We think alike.

The whole smell thing...ahh yeah, I spilled nearly a gallon of premix for the chainsaw in my old 4Runner, that sucked for a while...at least I could take the top off and air it out.

Yeah, I CAN back up a trailer, but would rather not. :D I could always get a hitch rack for the dirt bikes. But trailers definitely make things easier, as far as loading/unloading.

SURE you can...you can't bullchit a bullchitter! ;) :D

I don't care for hitch racks, I pitched a bike off once...was slow speed...but it smashed out the rear window out of my topper. My buddy just had one fail (granted it was a 15 year old aluminum one)...and dragged his newish KTM for a bit....worn through the triple clamp and fork tube..literally lopped off about 4" off the top. I'll stick with trailers.

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
Funny, first time I ever saw a Nissan NV that was exactly what I thought too! The longer the hood gets on a van the more it starts melding into a panel truck! My guess as to why no factory 4wd is that they might be afraid it would cannibalize sales from the Armada/Patrol or Titan.
The NV is a homely beast, that's for sure, but then again, they said that about the original VW van, too. :ylsmoke:
I would totally rock a Nissan NV with removable seats and 4wd. :drool: But I think the only way to get one now is to have it built and that would be >$50k.
I'd love to see a 3/4 size NV based on the Frontier (rather than the Titan) with the 4.0 V6 and 4wd from the factory.

I really like the concept of vans...that whole 4WD thing though...mang I don't want to pay for it. Buddy of mine just did a E-Series with a Super Duty coil front end...even doing all the work himself he sunk $12K into it. I try to tell myself I don't need 4WD...then a couple days later I find myself on some out of the way off beaten track reaching for the transfer-case lever...

Think the compromise is a RCLB truck with a high roof topper. It is ugly as all get out but you can find Nissan Titans with a V8 for under $25K, and has a half way decent payload.

Might go look at this on my lunch today.

https://www.dennisdillonnissan.com/new/Nissan/2017-Nissan-Titan-d86c79bc0a0e0adf2f7fe0bbffcbd5f8.htm

That with a high-rise topper.

View attachment 439690

phsycle

Adventurer
Think the compromise is a RCLB truck with a high roof topper. It is ugly as all get out but you can find Nissan Titans with a V8 for under $25K, and has a half way decent payload.

Might go look at this on my lunch today.

https://www.dennisdillonnissan.com/new/Nissan/2017-Nissan-Titan-d86c79bc0a0e0adf2f7fe0bbffcbd5f8.htm

Those specs are just copy and paste of factory brochures. I bet the actual payload is less by about 10%. That's some crazy low pricing, though. 33% off MSRP?? :Wow1:

phsycle

Adventurer
SURE you can...you can't bullchit a bullchitter! ;) :D

I don't care for hitch racks, I pitched a bike off once...was slow speed...but it smashed out the rear window out of my topper. My buddy just had one fail (granted it was a 15 year old aluminum one)...and dragged his newish KTM for a bit....worn through the triple clamp and fork tube..literally lopped off about 4" off the top. I'll stick with trailers.

Don't know what you're talking about. I've done it at least twice. And one of those times, I didn't hit anything.

:D

Hitch racks aren't bad, but have to watch that tongue weight. Lots of bouncing on dirt roads would probably shorten the lifespan quite a bit.

Clutch

<---Pass
Those specs are just copy and paste of factory brochures. I bet the actual payload is less by about 10%. That's some crazy low pricing, though. 33% off MSRP?? :Wow1:

Think the RC has the highest payload. That V8 is putting out some damn good numbers, should be able to tow a 6X12 enclosed trailer no problem.

Crazy good pricing! With pricing that low I could get over its' homely looks. With grey paint it doesn't look "too horrible"

7f635ea80cafaa18ddb7b7d9e9df13fb.jpg

Don't know what you're talking about. I've done it at least twice. And one of those times, I didn't hit anything.

:D

Hitch racks aren't bad, but have to watch that tongue weight. Lots of bouncing on dirt roads would probably shorten the lifespan quite a bit.

*chuckle*

I don't mind a trailer, but there are times I would like to get rid of it...like traveling "forever" down wash board roads...have to slow way down or it bounces all over the place....cure would be to change out the suspension.

I think about doing that....then I start looking at vans and RCLB trucks...

Other reason I don't like hitch carriers is that bike gets filthy with the eddy that forms behind the truck

phsycle

Adventurer
I don't mind a trailer, but there are times I would like to get rid of it...like traveling "forever" down wash board roads...have to slow way down or it bounces all over the place....cure would be to change out the suspension.

I think about doing that....then I start looking at vans and RCLB trucks...

Other reason I don't like hitch carriers is that bike gets filthy with the eddy that forms behind the truck

Good point about hitch carriers. It would absolutely get caked with dirt and muck. That's a strike against trailers, too, unless you're talking enclosed. Then you've got to ask if all that expense of getting one would be worth it, especially the initial cost and MPG hit. I think loading up the bikes in the bed isn't that bad. Especially if you keep the truck at stock height.

Clutch

<---Pass
Good point about hitch carriers. It would absolutely get caked with dirt and muck. That's a strike against trailers, too, unless you're talking enclosed. Then you've got to ask if all that expense of getting one would be worth it, especially the initial cost and MPG hit. I think loading up the bikes in the bed isn't that bad. Especially if you keep the truck at stock height.

I put on a rock/wind guard on the front of my open trailer...it helps a bunch. Not perfect but better than having it on a hitch. Keep on kicking around getting a 5X10 enclosed to tow behind either my Tacoma or Trooper...not so big that it would be a pain in the back country, but big enough to put 3 bikes, all the gear bags and all of my camp kitchen in there. Would free up the bed of the truck. Wouldn't have to unload the truck to put it in camp mode. Plus trailers are super cheap relatively speaking (comparing to a new vehicle), can snag a brand new one for only $2500-3000. But like you said is it worth spending the money on some minor inconveniences?

That or get a van or LB truck and cram everything in there.

Sorry, man, that's a face even the mother couldn't love.

Oh it is totally hideous. (almost as bad as a 3rd Gen Taco :p ) Not sure if I could live with it even at those prices. (might though) Sure do like the specs on it though. Found a couple extra cabs around $25K, that is cheaper than a Tacoma SR...and you get a V8. https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/724784789/overview/ Even has a rear seat seat delete, didn't know that was an option.

Discovered they are offering a factory lift from Icon. https://www.motor1.com/news/229918/nissan-titan-lift-kit/

Though it is fairly obvious that its' styling is a real turn off for many since they aren't selling, hence the deep discounts? Does make you wonder how long the platform will be around....future used resale value is going to be dismal is my guess. (not that I care about resale, as I run them into the ground)

Last edited:
The old suv vs van vs truck debate is a tough one. I ran both a 4x4 truck and 4x4 conversion van. The van was my designated road trip vehicle. I got rid of the van to buy a new 4x4 truck. The gasser van was just an added expense I didn't need as the truck could do everything the van could do and more because it had more cargo space, could tow better, and would get better mileage. My kids miss the space of the van, but I enjoy having them closer to the rear seat so I can hear what they are saying and they can hear what I'm saying without having to yell. Of course if money was unlimited I'd have a new 4x4 van and new 4x4 truck.

New 4x4 vans are actually a bit cheaper than a new 4x4 suburban, but they are more than a 4x4 truck. I like the Nissan NV design because there is no doghouse and Quigley does make a 4x4 conversion for them so you can get them from factory. Think Advanced 4x4 makes a 4x4 conversion for the Nissan as well with a lift.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles