One of the great things about a Suburban...

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
It's been nice and warm here in CO and I had last week off work. Wife wanted to kayak but I didn't feel like putting the Yakima rack onto the roof and then lifting up the kayaks, strapping them down, etc etc - total PITA and time waster.
No problem. Flip the 2nd and 3rd row, slide kayaks in, throw in paddles, seats and life jackets and drive to the lake. 5 minutes to load and unload.
Keep in mind these Ascend D10 kayaks are classified as 10' (they're closer to 9.5' though) and weigh 65lb each. The fit is a bit snug - the bow of the kayaks protruded far enough in between the front seats that it impaired a little of my right side peripheral vision, but for a 4 mile trip to the lake it was fine.
Kayaks in suburban.jpg
Don't know why I didn't try this sooner. Obviously wouldn't work for a weekend long trip when the 'burb is filled with all our camping gear and the dog, but for a short-distance shuttle it works great.
Hence my tag line....:sombrero:

tbisaacs

Adventurer
This is exactly what I miss about my ‘burb!

I had to get some plywood for my drawers and the 5x5 sheets were just a wee bit too big.

9Q8VCYX.jpg

The burb would have swallowed em up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

El Gordo

EL Gordo
I'm building my 'burb in case I wind up homeless! they rock. My 86 c-10 burb was titled as a station wagon...

shifty98

Observer
Definitely a huge upside. In my opinion for stuff like this it is even better than a pickup with topper because of the versatility. You can haul 8 passengers or 4x8 sheets of plywood, all comfortably.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Definitely a huge upside. In my opinion for stuff like this it is even better than a pickup with topper because of the versatility. You can haul 8 passengers or 4x8 sheets of plywood, all comfortably.
Very true but sadly, GM seems to really be destroying the "utility" aspect of the Burb by tarting up the interior and (as I heard elsewhere) no longer having a removable 3rd row seat or a flat load deck.
In a way I get it - making a vehicle that is useful for both passengers AND cargo requires some compromises and if the market research shows that most buyers only want the plush passenger accommodations and don't care about the "utility" capability, it makes sense for GM to go that way.
But it's also the reason why as much as I'd love to stay with a Suburban or similar vehicle, I've already decided that my next vehicle will have to be a crew cab pickup.

phsycle

Adventurer
Incredible how big those Suburbans are. Such cool vehicles. Slap on a high roof kit, that would be an awesome travel rig.

However, every time I think about getting an SUV, I remind myself how useful the truck bed is. Yes, I could get a trailer, but I am no good at driving trailers. I have a 13' kayak that I use and I'm glad I don't have to lift that heavy thing over my head anymore (like my last car). Waist height of the bed and it's good to go.

rayra

Expedition Leader
yep, 4'x8' sheet goods go in, fully closed up. Nearly 100cu' behind the front seats. And I can get 12'L moldings in, on a diagonal into the front passenger footwell.
Only thing I prefer not to do with it is haul fertilizers, that stink lingers, even when you put a tarp down. So I still keep my old pickup.

MattF350

Observer
Before I got my truck, I was looking for an obnoxiously oversized SUV. Excursion were in my sights but limited availability. Suburbans are nice though. Solid roof would be great for a last minute (or planned) sleeping arrangement.

shifty98

Observer
Before I got my truck, I was looking for an obnoxiously oversized SUV. Excursion were in my sights but limited availability. Suburbans are nice though. Solid roof would be great for a last minute (or planned) sleeping arrangement.

That is one of the things I love. I have a shelf that goes horizontally across the back from window to window and I can easily take a nap there during a lunch break, or when I am out on the road.

Clutch

<---Pass
Very true but sadly, GM seems to really be destroying the "utility" aspect of the Burb by tarting up the interior and (as I heard elsewhere) no longer having a removable 3rd row seat or a flat load deck.
In a way I get it - making a vehicle that is useful for both passengers AND cargo requires some compromises and if the market research shows that most buyers only want the plush passenger accommodations and don't care about the "utility" capability, it makes sense for GM to go that way.
But it's also the reason why as much as I'd love to stay with a Suburban or similar vehicle, I've already decided that my next vehicle will have to be a crew cab pickup.

I had to make a run to the farm supply store to grab some T-Posts and wire fence...my truck is in the shop getting an oil leak and new rack & pinion installed, so I took our SUV...it was raining, muddy tossing bundles of steel posts and a roll of horse fencing into the back of the SUV, had me trying to be super careful not to rip anything up. Where as the truck I toss stuff in the bed without much care....got me wondering if anyone still makes a bare bones sports UTILITY vehicle anymore with heavy duty rubber flooring and vinyl seats....and I couldn't think of any. Only thing that has that type of enclosed room is a van, and the pickin's are slim if you want 4WD from the factory. Think it is only the Chevy Express AWD (no low range) and the super spendy Sprinter.

Really too bad Ford doesn't sling some F150 4WD parts under their Transit. Guess pickup culture wins here in the States. Vans are creepy and pickups are cool....

4.jpg

However, every time I think about getting an SUV, I remind myself how useful the truck bed is. Yes, I could get a trailer, but I am no good at driving trailers. I have a 13' kayak that I use and I'm glad I don't have to lift that heavy thing over my head anymore (like my last car). Waist height of the bed and it's good to go.

Knowing how to back up a trailer puts hair on your chest doncha know? :p

I have a trailer...dunno, grew up towing them with our construction business so kinda mindless...though they'll get you from time to time, seems to be when there is crowd and everyone is watching. :D

Believe I am done loading dirt bikes into the back of pickup beds (that and I always have a shell of some sorts) with a trailer the bikes practically load themselves. Use it haul kayaks too, super easy...unlike crawling up in the shell of the truck trying to secure it...just toss it on the trailer and strap it down access from all sides.

Last edited:

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Where as the truck I toss stuff in the bed without much care....got me wondering if anyone still makes a bare bones sports UTILITY vehicle anymore with heavy duty rubber flooring and vinyl seats....and I couldn't think of any. Only thing that has that type of enclosed room is a van, and the pickin's are slim if you want 4WD from the factory. Think it is only the Chevy Express AWD (no low range) and the super spendy Sprinter.
Even though they disappeared when I was still in grade school, I have to say I've always had a soft spot for panel trucks.
The last panel truck sold in the US was a Chevy, based on the 1967-72 Suburban. For many years there was one in my old neighborhood in Englewood.
This isn't it but this is what it looked like:
http://www.gmcpauls.com/69_chevy_panel.htm

phsycle

Adventurer
I had to make a run to the farm supply store to grab some T-Posts and wire fence...my truck is in the shop getting an oil leak and new rack & pinion installed, so I took our SUV...it was raining, muddy tossing bundles of steel posts and a roll of horse fencing into the back of the SUV, had me trying to be super careful not to rip anything up. Where as the truck I toss stuff in the bed without much care....got me wondering if anyone still makes a bare bones sports UTILITY vehicle anymore with heavy duty rubber flooring and vinyl seats....and I couldn't think of any. Only thing that has that type of enclosed room is a van, and the pickin's are slim if you want 4WD from the factory. Think it is only the Chevy Express AWD (no low range) and the super spendy Sprinter.

Really too bad Ford doesn't sling some F150 4WD parts under their Transit. Guess pickup culture wins here in the States. Vans are creepy and pickups are cool.....

Vans have essentially become the SUV's of yesteryears. I look at the Nissan NV and think how awesome they would be (only if they came in 4WD). I was looking at SUV's and thought I could probably make do with rear cargo covers:
https://www.duluthtrading.com/store...uck-and-car-gear/58505.aspx?processor=content

But I'd still need to be careful loading stuff, and that separate cargo area for smelly stuff would make life better as well. Both have pros and cons, though. If the NV came as a 4WD stock, I might be swayed to get one of those. Interior room is ridiculous. And the gigantic roof means so much cargo room with a rack up there.

DHuang21.jpg

Knowing how to back up a trailer puts hair on your chest doncha know? :p

I have a trailer...dunno, grew up towing them with our construction business so kinda mindless...though they'll get you from time to time, seems to be when there is crowd and everyone is watching. :D

Believe I am done loading dirt bikes into the back of pickup beds (that and I always have a shell of some sorts) with a trailer the bikes practically load themselves. Use it haul kayaks too, super easy...unlike crawling up in the shell of the truck trying to secure it...just toss it on the trailer and strap it down access from all sides.

Yeah, I CAN back up a trailer, but would rather not. :D I could always get a hitch rack for the dirt bikes. But trailers definitely make things easier, as far as loading/unloading.

Clutch

<---Pass
Even though they disappeared when I was still in grade school, I have to say I've always had a soft spot for panel trucks.
The last panel truck sold in the US was a Chevy, based on the 1967-72 Suburban. For many years there was one in my old neighborhood in Englewood.
This isn't it but this is what it looked like:
http://www.gmcpauls.com/69_chevy_panel.htm

Have always like panel trucks, always wanted a 50's Ford or Chevy. Though you could say the Nissan NV is the panel van reborn. No 4WD from the factory though.

CAC20NIV121B021001.jpg

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Have always like panel trucks, always wanted a 50's Ford or Chevy. Though you could say the Nissan NV is the panel van reborn. No 4WD from the factory though.
Funny, first time I ever saw a Nissan NV that was exactly what I thought too! The longer the hood gets on a van the more it starts melding into a panel truck! My guess as to why no factory 4wd is that they might be afraid it would cannibalize sales from the Armada/Patrol or Titan.
The NV is a homely beast, that's for sure, but then again, they said that about the original VW van, too. :ylsmoke:
I would totally rock a Nissan NV with removable seats and 4wd. :drool: But I think the only way to get one now is to have it built and that would be >$50k.
I'd love to see a 3/4 size NV based on the Frontier (rather than the Titan) with the 4.0 V6 and 4wd from the factory.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles

Members online