Rhino-Rack Install Write Up 5th Gen 4Runner

batmn77

Observer
This is my review on Rhino-Rack’s Backbone system and Pioneer platform. Go easy on me, as this is my first time writing such a detailed review on a product, but given the lack of information on this product and the 5th Gen 4Runner, I felt compelled to share. I ordered the 84”x49” (full length) Pioneer platform. I have not seen this combo online yet.

Rhino-Rack is an Australian company with an umbrella company (Rhino-Rack, USA) here in the States. The rack is aluminum, but the Backbone system is steel.
*Note: In my experience, drilling of THE RACK is required. You do not drill your vehicle.

I have had this on for a couple of weeks now and things to note are:
1) I had a Gobi prior to this which is very noticeable when driving. The vehicle feels very top heavy with the Gobi. With the Rhino-Rack, I do not even notice it is on top. It is very light weight, but super strong. I have walked all over the top of it without damaging it.
2) There is very little wind noise.

Arrival:

E9MIBTsl.jpg

Unboxing:

hAh5L5ml.jpg

9Rf4NzPl.jpg

I won’t post pictures of removing the factory roof rails, the supplied instructions do a good job.

After removing the factory hardware, clean the channels thoroughly and apply the double-sided adhesive strips.

Ad6FO8zl.jpg

aSmog4sl.jpg

Extra silicone, because I had it in the garage. I’m sure it’s not needed and the instructions do not call for it.

UnkFNd8l.jpg

The rack has 3 cross bars that must be bolted to the underside of the rack. Placement of these crossbars is determined where you want the rack to sit on the Backbone system. This is where you will have to drill the rack in order to align the crossbars in the correct location. If you mount the rack too far forward on the Backbone rails you will hit the XM “shark fin” antenna, if you mount the rack too far toward the rear of the vehicle you may have an issue opening the hatch if you have a ladder installed.

61iaavMl.jpg

6ZM8gafl.jpg

Prior to installing the rack on the Backbone rails, I suggest mounting all the plastic spacers. My understanding is this stiffens the gaps between the platform.

2vJF442l.jpg

oSJdNc7l.jpg

w1zoBE1l.jpg

The Backbone system only mounts on one side, meaning there is a driver’s specific side and a passenger’s specific side.

4YqaFKtl.jpg

The twist “nuts” turn 90* into the underside channel of the crossbar and tighten down to secure the rack. There will be 6 points that this will be done at.
*Note – this twist “nut” turns into the channel of the crossbars that you had to mount and/or drill to the underside of the rack.

6tLg7uMl.jpg

Now, go camping and enjoy your beaut in her natural habitat. Cheers, mate.

gRFJJmIl.jpg

Md32L2Al.jpg

m9oqMprl.jpg

viperdriver

Observer
This is awesome! Thanks. Im contemplating going the Rhino Rack route on my 2010, my only concern is mounting my tent. I have a soft tent with the rails and in a perfect would those rails would line up with the opening of the slats, but I cant seem to find anyone whos had luck with that.

CodyMcD

adding Rhino-Rack accessory crossbars to the platform could assist! This would slightly raise your tent allowing more access to the hardware. Or you can try re-attaching the tent rails to line up with the Platform. Using an RTV silicone would weather proof the left over holes. Or Drill the plank of the pioneer! Pretty quick fix.

batmn77

Observer
This is awesome! Thanks. Im contemplating going the Rhino Rack route on my 2010, my only concern is mounting my tent. I have a soft tent with the rails and in a perfect would those rails would line up with the opening of the slats, but I cant seem to find anyone whos had luck with that.

Glad you found it helpful! There are so many accessories and the rack is so modular, I dont foresee you finding a way to make your tent work on top the platform.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles