dodge 2500 as GLOBAL expedition rig?

Dalko43

Explorer
Honestly, I think the OP's consideration of an older, mecanical (6bt) Cummins dodge is smart, especially if he is on a budget.

The truck itself may be in need of repairs and servicing to make it ready for such an adventure, but the engine should be very well-suited to such a trip, especially if it has low mileage. No electronic injectors to worry about, very few electronic connections, and overall a very reliable power plant that won't be picky when it comes to fuel quality. The engine and overall truck is going to feel very dated compared to more modern vehicles, but it should prove to be very reliable and robust so long as the proper maintenance is done ahead of time.

The problem with using modern diesels as a 'global' adventure platform is fuel quality. A lot of 3rd world countries have been slow to adopt ULSD, which is needed for the modern fuel injection systems and the emissions controls (DPF's especially). This is an issue even with the so-called "global" LC70's and LC 200's and their 4.5l v8 turbodiesel....Andrew St Pierre White talked about this in one of his videos and I believe he plans to use an older, pre-emissions Dodge or Ford 3/4 ton for his North/South American trip instead of his LC70 Troopy.

MattScott

Approved Vendor
The quality control from Chrysler in the late 90s and early 2000s was absolutely terrible.

I wouldn't trust one of those trucks to get me to the next down. Not to mention, most of them have been beat up by hillbillies and have issues.

I have a good friend who built one as an overland vehicle and I don't know how many days I've spent on the phone with him talking about what has most-recently broken.

If most of your travels are overseas, why buy a vehicle here in the USA? You can legally purchase a vehicle in Australia as a non-resident.

Dalko43

Explorer
The quality control from Chrysler in the late 90s and early 2000s was absolutely terrible.

I wouldn't trust one of those trucks to get me to the next down. Not to mention, most of them have been beat up by hillbillies and have issues.

Quality control from Chrysler wasn't good back then, but also keep in mind those trucks saw much more abuse than your typical 4x4 and SUV. These vehicles were primarily designed and used as work trucks. A truck that spent its life pulling around a trailer or employed in industrial applications is going to be more worn out than a truck that was used for commuting.

If the OP spends some time and money refurbishing the worn out parts, an older dodge should be no less reliable than any other truck of that era. Plenty of people have in fact used the older, pre-emissions dodge trucks for global trips.

nickw

Adventurer
As long as your globe doesn't include the U.S., at least in any easy to source parts sort of way.

Any Land Cruiser would be an OK option, although ours are gasoline and that's not common. The mostest common would be an old Toyota, Nissan or Mitsubishi pickup probably or a 4Runner, Montero or Pathfinder.

I dunno, I was thinking about this and it occurred to me that you might see Fords in a lot of places. They get the F250 down under, at least a few years ago. I've also heard the Top Gear guys talk about F150s over in the U.K. (and how poorly they fit the narrow roads).

View attachment 439629

You know, probably flipping through an ARB catalog and seeing which vehicles they make commercial bull bars for would be a clue to what trucks you'll find working around the world.

No common, but based on what I've seen while overseas and what I've read, 'Petrol' is still widely available in all the countries he plans on visiting, with Africa being the possible exception.....but I digress.

nickw

Adventurer
I have some vehicles on my list that are primarily North American (T100, 2nd gen Tacoma) and have looked into parts shared with other vehicles. It's funny you surest the 200 because I had just realized last night that I haven't looked into the LC100 or LC200 or tundra.

The reason I am looking at 20 year old vehicles is because:
- I can't afford a new truck.
- I don't think that a 10 year old truck (with all of its additional electronics) is necessary more reliable than a 20 year old truck that has been serviced.

I think your right and many of the engines (3.4, 4.7, 2.7), trans, rear axles, front diffs used in the domestic Toyota were the same used overseas, with very minor differences (which may be different enough to keep them from working but at least you'd have a fighting chance).

What I do know is the LC100/200 from a running gear perspective are identical to the overseas ones...but closer to your concern, they can be pricey. Even older 100 series with high miles are $$.

Onaplin

[....Quality control from Chrysler wasn't good back then, but also keep in mind those trucks saw much more abuse than your typical 4x4 and SUV. These vehicles were primarily designed and used as work trucks....] ~Dalko43~

I agree with Dalko, my uncle has a 1999 2500 deisel that he bought a year old. Dodge's quality is junk when it comes to comfort, but the drivetrains have been proven pretty rocksolid. The only thing I'll say is to check your transmission thoroughly on the truck. My uncle's has been a trailer hauler from day one, and even with TLC, the trans is startimg slipping in it's older age from use.

al_burpe

Observer
My experience living in East Africa was that a lot what was available had to do with which side of the road that country adhered to. LHD countries imported a lot more second hand vehicles from the US and RHD countries import from Japan and the UK. I think if you broke down in the middle of Uganda, you would be extremely hard pressed to find parts for a Dodge truck. If I had to pick one vehicle commonly sold in the US that I wanted to know that I would be able to get parts for anywhere in Africa, it would be a 1gen RAV4 or the 2gen that still had the 2.0L motor. This is the only vehicle where I know for sure that drive train was the same in all markets. Unfortunately, a RAV4 doesn't sound like it is going to meet your needs as far as capability though they are more capable than people probably give them credit for. The other vehicles that I haven't done enough research on but that I would look into is the difference between Monteros sold in the US and Pajaros sold everywhere else, Suzuki vehicles such as the sidekick/vitara vs the escudo, and also Land Rovers as Discoveries and Range Rovers are all over the place. Those might be identical platforms as well. Lastly, Jeep is greatly expanding their global presence, and I started seeing a lot more of them in East Africa including dealerships so a Wrangler might be a possibility as well.

If most of your travels are overseas, why buy a vehicle here in the USA? You can legally purchase a vehicle in Australia as a non-resident.

I've considered this as well, but I don't want a right hand drive vehicle because most of the world is right hand traffic (left hand drive) and there are several countries that won't allow right hand drive vehicles across the border. As far as I know you can get a temporary import permit for left hand drive vehicles in every country that allows TIP for vehicles.

I considered going to countries with left hand drive vehicles a swell, but would have to deal with being in a foreign country without a work shop or an income while trying to do the build.

nitro_rat

Lunchbox Lockers
If you are mechanically competent enough to do your own “build” then build what you are familiar with. The parts avaibility is only a concern once the problem has been diagnosed. Most simple problems can be fixed enough to “limp” on without actually replacing a part. It’s easier to fix what you KNOW.

sg1

Adventurer
I have been traveling through Africa, Europe and North-and Latin America for the last 8 years. I use a Ford F150 in North America and a 2010 European Ford Transit 4x4 in the rest of the world. I completely agree with Fred (diplostrat) that there is no world vehicle. But a vehicle can be more or less exotic. One thing I found very important at least in a newer vehicle is whether a dealership can diagnose the vehicle. I don't mean the basic OBD 2 features but the full diagnostic system your car has. I checked with Ford and they informed me that they have only 1 program which includes all Ford made vehicles and the system would be able to fully diagnose my Transit regardless of whether it is sold in a particular country. This turned out to be true. A Ford dealer in Botswana could diagnose which of my ABS wheel sensors was broken although there are no Transits in Southern Africa. Check whether other car manufacturers have the same policy. North American trucks are rare abroad. The only truck I have seen in basically every country in Latin America is the F 150. In Europe or Africa there are veeery few US trucks. Almost every vehicle available in the US I know uses different engines and drive trains in the rest of the world. Your best bet might be the new Ranger, the Sprinters (especially the older 5 cyl.) and the Transit with the 3.2l diesel engine. This engine and gear box is used worldwide in the Ranger. But with a diesel you always have to delete and remove the emission cleaning systems.
My advise: Get the most reliable vehicle that fits your needs with the lowest miles you can afford and start traveling.
Stefan

Clutch

<---Pass
The reason I am looking at 20 year old vehicles is because:
- I can't afford a new truck.

What is your budget? $15K? Which "might" get a somewhat clean Dodge, and what another $5K (if you're lucky) fixing it. And whatever costs for future break downs on the road, and it will break down.

While these may not be World Platform...LINK....but for just a tick over $20K, gets you a brand new 4WD truck...far less chance of them breaking down...than a 20 year old truck that wasn't all that good when it was new or a 10 year old modern truck.

Maybe down grade the size of the truck and get a Nissan Frontier...more likely to get parts world-wide for that, but being new...probably won't have too.

LINK

Last edited:

sg1

Adventurer
What is your budget? $15K? Which "might" get a somewhat clean Dodge, and what another $5K (if you're lucky) fixing it. And whatever costs for future break downs on the road, and it will break down.

While these may not be World Platform...LINK....but for just a tick over $20K, gets you a brand new 4WD truck...far less chance of them breaking down...than a 20 year old truck that wasn't all that good when it was new or a 10 year old modern truck.

Maybe down grade the size of the truck and get a Nissan Frontier...more likely to get parts world-wide for that, but being new...probably won't have too.

LINK
One more thing to watch is weight. In all countries I am aware of except Canada, USA and Australia a vehicle with a GVV over 3500 kg or 7700 lbs is classified as a Heavy Vehicle {HV} regardless of whether it is for commercial use or not. HV are subject to different rules. Typically they would be lower speed limits, higher road taxes or they may not be permitted in inner cities or small roads. The more notable restrictions are :
Mexico. HV will most likely not be allowed to enter mainland Mexico unless they are registered as a RV.
Europe,. The general speed limit for HV is 80k or 55mls. On many European countries HV need a transponder to pay sometimes hefty road taxes. Of course every country has a different transponder.
Africa. In many of the more popular National Parks HV face restrictions. Either they are not admitted at all, or they have to pay ridiculous daily entrance fees (200 US per day or more) or they have to stay on the main roads.
Just keep that in mind when choosing a global expedition vehicle.
Stefan

rruff

Explorer

That sounds pretty good to me. Only problem is the 4.0l V6 is a NA only engine. Maybe not a big deal.

After living and exploring in a 2wd Toyota '84 for 13 years, I'm not convinced that 4wd is necessary. And you can get the 2wd Frontier King Cab for only ~$15k, with the 5spd manual and the 2.5l engine that *is* sold all over the world (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_QR_engine). Add some big tires and wheels, mild suspension upgrade, and regear plus locker, and I think you'd be in good shape.

Clutch

<---Pass
That sounds pretty good to me. Only problem is the 4.0l V6 is a NA only engine. Maybe not a big deal.

After living and exploring in a 2wd Toyota '84 for 13 years, I'm not convinced that 4wd is necessary. And you can get the 2wd Frontier King Cab for only ~$15k, with the 5spd manual and the 2.5l engine that *is* sold all over the world (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_QR_engine). Add some big tires and wheels, mild suspension upgrade, and regear plus locker, and I think you'd be in good shape.
Brand new it shouldn't matter...but should be able to get consumables such as brake pads and such, and some other parts prone to failure, like shocks and axle seals/bearings. Would try and compare part numbers from the US Frontier and World Navara.

My thoughts are it is going to be a world traveling vehicle, you're gonna put a ton of miles on it. Why not start with a fresh brand new one? Even though it may not be exactly what you want. Less worry about it breaking down and just enjoy the trip.

Dalko43

Explorer
One more thing to watch is weight. In all countries I am aware of except Canada, USA and Australia a vehicle with a GVV over 3500 kg or 7700 lbs is classified as a Heavy Vehicle {HV} regardless of whether it is for commercial use or not. HV are subject to different rules. Typically they would be lower speed limits, higher road taxes or they may not be permitted in inner cities or small roads. The more notable restrictions are :
Mexico. HV will most likely not be allowed to enter mainland Mexico unless they are registered as a RV.
Europe,. The general speed limit for HV is 80k or 55mls. On many European countries HV need a transponder to pay sometimes hefty road taxes. Of course every country has a different transponder.
Africa. In many of the more popular National Parks HV face restrictions. Either they are not admitted at all, or they have to pay ridiculous daily entrance fees (200 US per day or more) or they have to stay on the main roads.
Just keep that in mind when choosing a global expedition vehicle.
Stefan

Most, if not all, of the pre 2007, single rear wheel, short box 3/4 ton's should come in under 7.7k lbs, so that shouldn't be an issue for his planning.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles