dodge 2500 as GLOBAL expedition rig?

sg1

Adventurer
GVV of 2005 Ram 2500 is 8800lbs. GVV is the maximum weight with load specified by the manufacturer.

Dalko43

Explorer
GVV of 2005 Ram 2500 is 8800lbs. GVV is the maximum weight with load specified by the manufacturer.

What does GVV stand for? Is he referring to GVWR (gross vehicle weight rating)? A 2005 Ram's GVWR is above 7.7k lbs; the curb weights for most configurations are under that.

FWIW, Ram and Ford 3/4 and 1 ton's are somewhat common down in South and Central America. I highly doubt most of the border crossings are actually weighing trucks that come through.

More than a few overlanders have taken bigger 3/4 ton's down that way. The OP should ask around to see if anyone had to pay additional fees for driving those trucks down there...I'd very surprised if they did.

Wow. Lots of great info.
Dalko43 thank you for the GVWR info. I tried to look into that before and wan't finding many first hand sources or getting any response form the government agencies I contacted.
I would love to drive a rav4 or grand vatara, but we learned from our last trip that if we find a camp we like, we want to be able to stay there for longer periods of time and that means caring more food and water and enough inside space to comfortably wait out storms, so we aren't going any smaller in size or weight capacity then our current T100.
I've taken your advise into consideration, made a pros and cons chart of the various vehicles that I have thought to consider thus far, and am currently considering two top contenders based on our personal needs and desires.

Toyota T100 with 3.4L V6, manual transmission, 4x4
2nd Gen Toyota Tacoma, 4L V6, ? transmission, 4x4

Dalko43

Explorer
Toyota T100 with 3.4L V6, manual transmission, 4x4
2nd Gen Toyota Tacoma, 4L V6, ? transmission, 4x4

Well, that's a bit different from the dodge trucks you initially had considered.

Either one will work. The 2nd gen will be newer (meaning less stuff to fix or repair) and its 4.0l will give you better performance and probably eek out a bit better mpg. Honestly, for all the inherent limitations of the 2nd gen, it's such a proven platform that I would have no qualms about taking one abroad (given a well-maintained truck). Haven't checked their prices in a while, but last time I looked they were fetching a higher price compared to other used pickup's.

sg1

Adventurer
Sorry Dalko I had a typo. It is GVW or GVWR (this is the same) and not GVV. And the problem of not being admitted with a heavy vehicle only exists in Mexico and is unknown in other countries.

Well, that's a bit different from the dodge trucks you initially had considered.
Yeah, I made a little list of vehicles that I am aware of and that I thought would make a decent platform for the build I have in mined. I then looked up specs for each vehicle considered and narrowed it down. The Dodge was the one full size truck that was still on the list, mostly because of it's electrical simplicity and its max payload. People tend to be very positive or very negative about the reliability of these dodge trucks, so that is hard to get a feel for. In the end I think I will stick to a mid size truck for the ability to fit down narrow roads and a little better turning radius.

Oh and the GVWR for a 1998 Dodge 2500 long bed, single cab was 8810 lbs from the numbers I was looking up, so based on the heavy vehicle restrictions shared by sg1 the dodge is off of my short list for sure.

I realize this isn't a "domestic full size" conversation at this point, but I feel like I am getting some good feed back, so I will just say that I have looked into 1st gen tundras, land cruisers (70, 80, 100, 200 series), and monteros, but the T100 or 2nd Gen Tacoma are coming out on top for my needs. They aren't huge, but with some creativity will hopefully provide enough space for my wife and I to be comfortable.

I am still learning more about each vehicle, but at the moment the Tacoma wins in performance (more power, tighter turning circle) while the T100 wins in Payload and a simpler electrical system (fewer sensors and such).

I think the T100 may also have better international parts availability due to its shared components with the IFS Toyota Hilux but I'm still working on this.

I know that there is lots of aftermarket support for the Tacomas in the US and stiffer springs will be easy to come by, but not sure if additional structural support of frame and axle housing will also be needed since its only rated at 1360 lbs Max payload and I will likely be carrying around 2000 lbs when loaded.

I'm open to any thoughts, suggestions, any other 4x4 vehicles of a similar size that I haven't considered.

locrwln

Expedition Leader
If you are planning on 2k of weight, I would stick with a 3/4 ton or 1 ton truck. Keep in mind, that yes the 2nd gen Dodge trucks have their own challenges for the "dodge" factor which mainly center around the electrical side of things and of course the automatic transmission (they just weren't designed for the low end torque of the Cummins). The drivetrain components are very stout and easily repaired. The best part is that everything that can go wrong has been figured out by those that live and breathe these trucks. I have several friends with them and overall, they are good solid trucks. As has been said, vehicles don't break down just because they cross a border.

I will be taking my current 2007 Duramax and doing a similar trip. I currently have 158k on it and have no concerns about it breaking down. I know the truck and have made it a point of identifying the weak points and addressing those problems. The stock original front brakes were still more than 80% and the rears are down to about 40% with 158k miles. I did do a SAS on mine for my own reasons, but the truck has been driven extensively offroad carrying weights at or above the GVWR and it has never shown any signs of stress as a result.

Torroweep%20February%202014%20015-L.jpg

Mendel%20Pass%2002_13%20010-L.jpg

Doing this road in Death Valley:
IMG_1559-L.jpg

Carrying this (11k lbs total with a 9200 GVWR):
IMG_1564-L.jpg

Flatbed and camper are on order.

Jack

That's a cool truck locrwln and I bet it will be even cooler with the new camper set up.
I currently have 158k on it and have no concerns about it breaking down
Are you not concerned about it breaking down because you believe that nothing on it will break during your trip or are you just confident that it will be repairable given your mechanical know how and willingness to wait for parts to be shipped?

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Probably a little of both. I have made it a point to be ahead of any issues and upgraded where I thought necessary. Otherwise this truck hasn't given me a moment of trouble. I bought a brand new '02 F350 7.3, 6spd. The dash (electrical) went out in it and had to be replaced under warranty. The high-pressure 0-rings started leaking really bad after getting back from Baja, in for warranty. Fuel pedal gave up the ghost on the road, left us stranded for a couple of days until I could get a replacement. Ball joints were done by 70k and had to be replaced. Truck was completely stock and never abused and driven very little off road.

Bought this truck in 2010 to replace my 80 series Landcruiser (my second one of those and both required a lot of work). This truck was used by a horse person and had a trailer hitched to it for the 74k miles (in three years). I have taken this truck on many, many miles offroad and the only thing I have had to replace was the front unit bearings (90k). I replaced the ball joints at 140k, but I am not convinced that they were needed as the old ones were still very tight. Nothing else has gone wrong or needed replacement.

I wasn't planning on buying a Dmax when I was looking. My F350 was a crewcab, longbed and I didn't want to maneuver it off road as it had a titanic turning radius, so I looked at both another Ford in an extended cab, shortbed. Everything I found was either beat down or was a 6.0 (wasn't going there). Looked at and drove several Dodges, but again, it seemed like those got driven like rental cars because they were all rough or had a problem. Doing my research (2010 era) on the big 3 trucks lead me to realizing that of the pre-emissions era trucks the D-Max was the most reliable of the bunch. Ford 6.0/Dodge automatic problems and injection/piston burning problems. The only thing the GM really suffered from was the steering tie-rods being too weak. That is much easier and cheaper to replace than a motor or transmission. There are plenty of the LBZ's with 500+k miles with little to no problems including several that have either made it to or on their way to 800k miles.

Jack

Have you looked into parts availability for your Chevy abroad?
My brother has a Dmax of the same era and I've always liked it, but I feel like I haven't seen any USA Chevy models abroad.
I know trucks don't just break because they drove across borders as others on this thread have suggested and I'm not necessarily worried about compete engine or transmission failure, but driving many miles with a heavy loaded truck on dirt and rough roads I expect it to wear out and break down in one way or another and I don't want to cary a garage of spare parts as some folks suggest.

Darwin

Explorer
What camper set up are you planning on going with? I am not an expert on Toyota vehicles, but just like a USA full size pick up like a dodge ram, I am not sure how much more parts available there would be for a USA built Toyota. I imagine maybe things like door handles and windshields etc. you might be able to find but major engine parts might pose an issues.

My experience has been great with the 2nd gen 12 valve Dodge Cummins. I had a 95 with an automatic that made multiple trips all around Mexico and also all the way down to Nicaragua and back. I had one small electrical issue with the switch for my headlights but funny enough it was fixed with a Toyota part. They are pretty resourceful down there as you know. I had no other problems with that truck and when I drove it down there it had high miles around 220k on the odometer. I did not have a camper on the back but I did have a shell that was filled with about 200 gallons of vegetable oil. I later sold that truck and "upgraded" to a 97 Dodge Cummins with a 5 speed manual and the hardsided camper in my signature. I drove my current truck all through Mexico a few years ago with the camper and also down to El Salvador. The only issue I had was with the manual transmission but I made it work and fixed the issue when I got back to the USA. It also has an exhaust brake which is amazing, it really comes in handy with or without the camper. Not sure if you guys on your trip ever made the drive down to San Pedro on Lago de Atitilan but it's a notorious decent, people burn their brakes up all the time going down, with the exhaust brake I tapped the brakes maybe twice. On the way out it was a breeze, with 350 hp and the torque of the cummins even with the camper it doesn't even sweat. It's so steep that Westies and other underpowered vehicles have been known to need a tow just to get up the hill.

I know of two 2nd gen Dodge cummins that have have done the entire Pan AM, one was a regular cab with an alaskan camper the other was an extended cab. If I was to do something like that beyond just my trips to central America, my choice would be the Dodge Cummins with a regular cab and a flat bed with FWC Grandby. That would be the ultimate set up in my mind, either auto or manual, there are pros and cons to each transmission. A built automatic is pretty nice actually.

I get really great fuel mileage, I know some people exaggerate, but driving like a grandpa on the freeway with stock tires and no load I can get 21-22 mpg. With the camper and my oversized tires WITH the camper I am anywhere between 14 and 16, with my large hardsided camper I consider that very well. I know of a Toyota Tacoma all kitted out with a flatbed FWC was only getting 12 MPG! And the power and torque of that does not compare to the fullsize Cummins. I also really like the interior space of the fullsize pick up. sitting and driving is really comfortable, I always felt kind of cramped in a Toyota compared to my truck.

I would consider a flatbed grandby for my current truck but because I live in my camper for work sometimes over 6 months of the year I need the hardsides and full shower.

Good luck with your search, I have really enjoyed your videos, and will be making my annual trip down to Baja again this year after Overland Expo.

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Have you looked into parts availability for your Chevy abroad?
My brother has a Dmax of the same era and I've always liked it, but I feel like I haven't seen any USA Chevy models abroad.
I know trucks don't just break because they drove across borders as others on this thread have suggested and I'm not necessarily worried about compete engine or transmission failure, but driving many miles with a heavy loaded truck on dirt and rough roads I expect it to wear out and break down in one way or another and I don't want to cary a garage of spare parts as some folks suggest.

I haven't looked too hard, but it's one of those things that no matter what you bring; it will be the thing you don't bring that breaks. I don't believe there are too many abroad, but http://www.travelin-tortuga.com/Travelin-Tortuga/ have been all over the world in their Dmax and haven't had problem with the truck that stopped them.

I don't blame you on the garage, as I have been working on my list of what I plan to bring and I am trying to keep it to the bare minimum, but it's hard when you have to plan for everything. It's a balance for sure.

Good luck with the decision and still enjoying the videos.

Jack

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94