dodge 2500 as GLOBAL expedition rig?

I've been researching stats and narrowing down my list of potential build platforms for a global expedition vehicle. I plan to do a major time/money consuming build and would really like to pick the right platform for my needs.

A 1997/98 Dodge Ram 2500 with Cummins 12v and manual transmission is still on the short list, but one major thing that is keeping it from being a lead contender is that I can't get any info on GLOBAL parts availability of these older Dodge trucks.

I plan to take my next build across Australia, Southern Asia, Africa, N & S America, and possibly Europe.

If anyone knows that these trucks or engine were sold in their country (outside USA) please let me know. and if you could say if they were common or not that would be appreciated.

thank you.

Marine

Adventurer
Cummins is world wide, but getting parts and someone who knows how to fix them, say in Libera would a different story. Mind you the last time I was there was in 1995 whilst serving in the military. Things could of changed. I would call cummins direct and ask how there global support is. Just my one cent

Last edited:

Explorerinil

Observer
If you look around the web you can find a Dodge Ram that was converted to a Siberian hunting rig, I would look at what he did as he had about the perfect set up. Cummins sells or used to sell a book with a list of servicing dealers, I had one for years. I would not hesitate on the ram cummins set up, however I would get a 3500 and go for the Asian trans.

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
Quick Observation

Engines are not the primary failure point - most of the time, the engine itself can be viewed as a sealed system that just works. Very few trips fail because of engine or transmission problems.

You need to worry about two things:

-- Consumables: e.g., filters, belts, brake pads, clutch plates (good argument for an automatic), shock absorbers, tires, etc.

-- Things that break: Windshields, springs, etc.

The former you have to carry, ship to yourself, or replenish in countries where available.

The latter you have to pray a lot.

Final note, many, many things can be cobbled up in the third world, for example, brake pads may be fabricated. The third world is full or orphan vehicles and they run for years. Not always well, but they run.

If you REALLY want a world wide vehicle, get a Toyota Land Cruiser troop carrier with a naturally aspirated diesel and 750x16 tires on split rims.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Split rims might be a liability. If you're concerned about the bead breaking at super low psi beadlocks might be more practical

Engines are not the primary failure point - most of the time, the engine itself can be viewed as a sealed system that just works. Very few trips fail because of engine or transmission problems.

You need to worry about two things:

-- Consumables: e.g., filters, belts, brake pads, clutch plates (good argument for an automatic), shock absorbers, tires, etc.

-- Things that break: Windshields, springs, etc.

The former you have to carry, ship to yourself, or replenish in countries where available.

The latter you have to pray a lot.

Final note, many, many things can be cobbled up in the third world, for example, brake pads may be fabricated. The third world is full or orphan vehicles and they run for years. Not always well, but they run.

If you REALLY want a world wide vehicle, get a Toyota Land Cruiser troop carrier with a naturally aspirated diesel and 750x16 tires on split rims.

The 75 or 80 land cruisers are on the list as well, but I live in the USA, so getting a diesel would involve importing it. An achievable task, but it limits me to something over 25 years old and ups the cost considerably.

The appeal of the dodge is that I can get one in the USA (though not cheap) and the larger payload and powerful engine hopefully means that I wouldn't be overloading or pushing the truck and there fore reduce the likelihood of breaking.

The appeal of the Toyotas is that they do seam much more globally popular and I would probably be able to find the consumables much more often.

nitro_rat

Lunchbox Lockers
Dodges are fairly common in central and south america as well as in europe. Not sure about africa though. Probably no more difficult to get parts than for a us market only toyota (tacoma, tundra, etc).

Marine

Adventurer
Dodges are fairly common in central and south america as well as in europe. Not sure about africa though. Probably no more difficult to get parts than for a us market only toyota (tacoma, tundra, etc).

You just gave me hope of running my cummins down south. Thank you

I just finished a trip through Central America/Mexico and had seen some dodge trucks on the road and some dealerships(though many, including Toyota, won't service or cary parts for older vehicles because those vehicles weren't offered in that country)

I was driving a T100 (USA only vehicle) and found parts easily in every country I tried, but it shares almost every drivetrain, brake, steering, or suspension component with a Hilux or Land Cruiser offered in those countries and I think that would be the advantage in other continents as well.

I want the Dodge to work out, but I don't want to be that guy that you meet along your travels that has been stranded in some undesirable town, going to the customs office every day hoping that he can pay outrageous import tax for his auto parts to hopefully fix whatever has stranded him. I've met that guy. He wasn't enjoying himself.

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
You are worrying about the wrong things!

I had a '72 Blazer for four years, two in Cameroon and two in Ecuador. The former ended with a drive to England and the latter included a round trip to Bolivia. My next vehicle was a '77 Blazer - two years in Panama, five in the US, three in Liberia and three in Botswana.

My point is that vehicles don't stop working just because the are distant from a dealer. The Howes have hit over 55 countries with their Chevrolet - http://www.travelin-tortuga.com/Travelin-Tortuga/index.html and Dan Grec is in Botswana now with a Jeep/Cummins shotgun marriage - http://theroadchoseme.com

Buy the Dodge and make it work. This idea of a "global" vehicle is a chimera. Hell, I am driving a 1990 MB fire truck in the US. What do you think my parts availability is?

Stop worrying and have a great trip!

nickw

Adventurer
LC200 is probably your best bet - available worldwide, one of the few rigs we get that is very similar if not identical to the ones sold overseas.

Same goes for the 4Runner, while not a global vehicle per-se, many of it's components are similar if not the same as the global vehicles, engine, tranny, rear axle, etc.

I think a bigger liability is starting with a vehicle that is 20 years old.

Stop worrying and have a great trip!

Thanks.
I understand and agree with what you are saying, but seeing as how I have the time at present I am making an effort to research and choose the vehicle that suits my needs best. That includes hard numbers(fuel efficiency, size, turning radius...) and less exact things like reliability and, yes, parts availability.

No matter what I choose, it will break, I will deal with it when it happens, and life will go on.

LC200 is probably your best bet - available worldwide, one of the few rigs we get that is very similar if not identical to the ones sold overseas.

Same goes for the 4Runner, while not a global vehicle per-se, many of it's components are similar if not the same as the global vehicles, engine, tranny, rear axle, etc.

I think a bigger liability is starting with a vehicle that is 20 years old.

I have some vehicles on my list that are primarily North American (T100, 2nd gen Tacoma) and have looked into parts shared with other vehicles. It's funny you surest the 200 because I had just realized last night that I haven't looked into the LC100 or LC200 or tundra.

The reason I am looking at 20 year old vehicles is because:
- I can't afford a new truck.
- I don't think that a 10 year old truck (with all of its additional electronics) is necessary more reliable than a 20 year old truck that has been serviced.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
As long as your globe doesn't include the U.S., at least in any easy to source parts sort of way.

Any Land Cruiser would be an OK option, although ours are gasoline and that's not common. The mostest common would be an old Toyota, Nissan or Mitsubishi pickup probably or a 4Runner, Montero or Pathfinder.

I dunno, I was thinking about this and it occurred to me that you might see Fords in a lot of places. They get the F250 down under, at least a few years ago. I've also heard the Top Gear guys talk about F150s over in the U.K. (and how poorly they fit the narrow roads).

a4wdm_95_mid.jpg

You know, probably flipping through an ARB catalog and seeing which vehicles they make commercial bull bars for would be a clue to what trucks you'll find working around the world.

ripperj

Explorer
New truck prices are insane, but trying to take a 10-20 year old truck with between 100k and a quarter million miles on it and making it 100% is time consuming, when I was younger I drove old stuff because I was broke. It was never the engine( not counting timing chains/belts and starter/alternator and such), but always cheap, but time consuming stuff, like diff seals, wheel bearings , ball ends and such. That and stupid annoying things like wiper motors, door gaskets, heater cores.
Obviously all those things are unlikely to fail at once , or possibly ever on the same truck, but doing all the seals and bearings, u-joints, ball joints, shocks, brakes would be a good start, as well as the obvious on the engine including new or rebuilt starter and alternator.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles