Roof Top Tents w/ Overhang and Without - thoughts, opinions, and experiences

Bravo1782

Adventurer
Hey Everyone,

So here's the deal: I've got a CVT Mt. Rainier that I've been running for a few years. Recently, I switched to a low pack-rack on my truck which I love, but the Mt. Rainier is a little unwieldly. I'm thinking about down sizing to something Mt. Shasta Size (Tequi Kukenam 3, etc).

Here's the question: my Mt Rainier has an overhang that needs to be guyed that's part of the annex. I've used my annex maybe twice in the 3-4 years I've owned this tent. Usually I feel like the hassle in setting it up outweighs its usefullness. The overhang is a nice little shelter, but it tends to pool water when it rains and is hassle when it comes to packing it up. I feel like the standard flap covering might be easier to deal with.

What do you guys think? Overhang tent (Tepui Autana) or non-overhang tent (Tepui Kukenam).

Box Rocket

Hey Everyone,

So here's the deal: I've got a CVT Mt. Rainier that I've been running for a few years. Recently, I switched to a low pack-rack on my truck which I love, but the Mt. Rainier is a little unwieldly. I'm thinking about down sizing to something Mt. Shasta Size (Tequi Kukenam 3, etc).

Here's the question: my Mt Rainier has an overhang that needs to be guyed that's part of the annex. I've used my annex maybe twice in the 3-4 years I've owned this tent. Usually I feel like the hassle in setting it up outweighs its usefullness. The overhang is a nice little shelter, but it tends to pool water when it rains and is hassle when it comes to packing it up. I feel like the standard flap covering might be easier to deal with.

What do you guys think? Overhang tent (Tepui Autana) or non-overhang tent (Tepui Kukenam).
If you don't need the annex I'd go with the Kukenam. Overall setup and takedown will be faster and simpler. I had a similar debate as I had an Autana Ruggedized as well as a KukenamXL and got to a point where I no longer needed both and needed to decide which one to keep. The annex on the Autana had only been used twice in the 3 years of owning the tent. I kept the KukenamXL and it's been a good decision.
FYI in case you aren't aware, I can get the Tepui tents for 10% off for forum members. Let me know if I can help.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
I've waffled on this too. What it came down to is I rarely close the doors when I sleep, and love waking up to a visible sunrise.

on really rainy or snowy days, I simply wish I made the other choice and wait for better weather.

Bravo1782

Adventurer
I've waffled on this too. What it came down to is I rarely close the doors when I sleep, and love waking up to a visible sunrise.

on really rainy or snowy days, I simply wish I made the other choice and wait for better weather.

So which one did you end up going with? The non-overhang?

cemeb4dk

I am currently having this same internal debate with myself. Between the Autuana 4 or kukenam 4 both in ruggedized. Its not the annex I'm thinking about it the door coverage in bad weather. It seems the overhang leaves a little more coverage for shoes to hang on the outside and other things. Is the pooling an issue on the Autuana as well? Thanks for posting I will be following.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
So which one did you end up going with? The non-overhang?

Yes, I've had 2 Tepui Ayers and now have a Kukenam. I've never missed the overhang, although there have been a few nights when I've had to take off costs dripping snow and water inside the tent. No big deal.

justinf

I'm in the same boat, so thanks for this timely thread. My son and I are about to do a cross country trip in June, through Moab etc and camping from NC and back. We are going to go with one of the Kukenams after reading this and other bits. Question: do you guys think the ruggedized versions are worth the extra cost? I'm inclined to say yes but if anyone has experience with both I'd love to hear it.

Last edited:

Judoka

Learning To Live
I have used all kinds of camping setup, and by far outside of a camper shell with a well designed interior, the most convenient has been...a tent cot! Quich deployment with no need to worry about how to orientate your vehicle. That said, I have run a Series 3 Eezi-Awn which did not have an overhang and it was pretty comfortable. I currently run a CVT MT. Rainier Ext, and it has been a good tent. It requires more setup time of course, and the visibility is not as good out of the front door, (not to mention it adds a new element of complexity when you need to do the "Hanging Ladder Leak" in the middle of the night), But, it offers a few advantages, even without the annex room, like being able to tuck my shoes under the tent at the front door without worry of rain. My Eezi-Awn was not "Ruggedized" and I was always dry and comfortable. The same holds true for the CVT. However, the CVT has a thinner fabric and is lighter. Anytime you can lighten the load, up high especially, it is a good thing. The thinner fabric still keeps me dry. Plus the thinner fabric packs up much easier in cold weather! I cannot justify the additional cost of any "Ruggedized" tent if a thinner and less expensive tent does the same things as well. Just my two cents worth. Over the past 7 years, I have slept in various camping shelters at least 80% of that time, from Hammocks to Military Crew Tents to Shells to....so I am pretty experienced I would say. It all boils down to intended purpose, and personal preference.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
If you are not worried about cosmetic dents in your floor, I would get the standard over the ruggedized. The standard fabric and frame are still really heavy duty, and the sizing doesn't change. Although I haven't owned a ruggedized, I believe they would still have most of the drawbacks associated with wind, hinge engagement, fabric rubbing wear, etc.

I may end up in a ruggedized someday, but building a custom floor and frame is more likely for me than buying a new ruggedized tent.

As a note though, if you for see yourself frequently standing up through "sky" panels, you probably want a better floor... go ruggedized...

justinf

I took your last sentence to heart and ordered a ruggedized today, in part due to the 20% off REI members benefit that I've been waiting on. That's a good savings on a $2k tent. Excited to check it out.

xlcaferacer

Adventurer
My wife has a Tepui Autana mounted to the top of her 4Runner. Even when the annex isn't being used I find the extra setup of the overhang kind of annoying. She loves it! She also loves the annex, I don't! I prefer light and fast, she prefers the creature comforts. Granted it is really nice when the weather is crappy or you have to camp in a campground type atmosphere as it give you a place to hang out either out of the weather or in some privacy.
When I use it on my truck it is mounted at bed level and the annex isn't an option, and the overhang is just an added hassle during set up and take down. I am actually looking at the Ayer model for my truck as it is the ultimate in lite and fast. It also offers the advantage of a lower roofline when set up which should be more pleasant when the wind picks up.

ducktapeguy

Adventurer
I have the Autana with the extra overhang. I didn't specifically get it because of that additional overhang, but because of the larger annex room that goes with it would allow me more flexibility in the future. I've never setup the annex room because it just seems like too much trouble for the type of camping I do, so the overhang is really just added time and complexity on the setup and tear down. I'm too lazy that I don't even bother setting up the spring poles for the window awnings anymore. I also don't stake out the overhang, I just loop the guy ropes under the ladder legs and that seems to work pretty well and keep the overhang stable even in some wind.

There are some minor advantages to having the overhang like more privacy, bigger sheltered area under the tent, and better weather protection for the door. It also gives me a place to hang things from the support bar like shoes or clothes if I want to dry them out, or a LED lantern. In the future when I start using the annex it might prove to be a bigger benefit, but for now it's just in the way most of the time and I could do with or without it. The downsides are the longer setup times (about an extra minute), more fabric to pack away, and it blocks the view out the door, and makes the entrance way pretty dark at night (hence the lantern on the support bar). The good thing is you can pull the overhang back against the tent and kind of tuck the fabric out of the way so it becomes like the kukenum, but you still have to setup the support bar to do it. I have seen someone add an extra bar spanning from the support bar to the tent to prevent pooling, so that's always an option, but again it's just added setup time.

SoDakSooner

Adventurer
Ordered mine without the overhang but CVT sent the wrong tent that included it. They offered to let me keep it or return on their dime. It was actually cheaper for them to keep and i really didn't have a huge preference other than the actual price). it so I kept it. I like it, it is nice for a bit more privacy and can keep the inner door open and just run the screen on warmer days. I have never used the annex as the type of trips we have done so far have not suited it. I could take it or leave it, but it is nice when it is raining as well just like others have said.

Biggest advantage to me is the bigger annex(with the ladder inside versus outside), but like I said, I have never actually used it on a trip (just set up in the yard_

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94