2000 Astro Van AWD Engine / Trans Replacement.

Costman13

Adventurer
Hey All,

I'm on the hunt for an Astro / Safari AWD. I have found a few clean vans - with either high milage, or blown head gaskets (or both). I have also sourced a few engine / trans options with low miles, for not a ton of cash.

All this to ask - who has swapped a Chevy 4.3L? Being that you can drop it all away with the subframe leads me to believe it isn't a ridiculous idea, but I have been known to make a bad call or two... :rolleyes:

Any suggestions? Tips? Things to do / not do? Things to look for?

Thanks,
Cam

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
I did a full size Chevy van conversion from 4.3 to 5.7 liter V8. Maybe it can be done for the small stuff? Cheers, Chilli..:)

smd3

I had a 2000 with AWD and a 4.3. I didn't keep it long or do much to it, I decided to go a different direction. It was a good rig, AWD worked. From what I understand the AWD units wear out because they're run off of some sort of clutch pack, wear and tear item.

Van.jpg

AlexCold

Observer
It's also my understanding you can replace the AWD with an S10 transfer case and front axle. You'll have to google it.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Hey All,

I'm on the hunt for an Astro / Safari AWD. I have found a few clean vans - with either high milage, or blown head gaskets (or both). I have also sourced a few engine / trans options with low miles, for not a ton of cash.

All this to ask - who has swapped a Chevy 4.3L? Being that you can drop it all away with the subframe leads me to believe it isn't a ridiculous idea, but I have been known to make a bad call or two... :rolleyes:

Any suggestions? Tips? Things to do / not do? Things to look for?

Thanks,
Cam

Cam, I'd like to invite you to come visit the ASV gurus at http://astrosafarivans.org. Our forum over there will probably be better able to answer your specific questions.

I haven't done anything engine-out on my Astro, but several others have. I think generally it's easiest to go out through the front (bumper/front grill, etc. removed), but one or two guys have also gone out through the bottom by dropping the whole subframe. Which is easier for you will probably depend on equipment/space and also what other changes you plan to make. (e.g. if you're going to add a lift, you'll need to at least drop the subframe slightly to get the body pucks in - which may or may not be an incentive to change how you'll pull the engine.)

There are also some more involved changes you can make for a bigger front-end lift that would be VERY easy to make with the engine out - some coolant and brake lines and the steering shaft all need to be lengthened for more than a 2" body lift, for example.

Costman13

Adventurer
Cam, I'd like to invite you to come visit the ASV gurus at http://astrosafarivans.org. Our forum over there will probably be better able to answer your specific questions.

I haven't done anything engine-out on my Astro, but several others have. I think generally it's easiest to go out through the front (bumper/front grill, etc. removed), but one or two guys have also gone out through the bottom by dropping the whole subframe. Which is easier for you will probably depend on equipment/space and also what other changes you plan to make. (e.g. if you're going to add a lift, you'll need to at least drop the subframe slightly to get the body pucks in - which may or may not be an incentive to change how you'll pull the engine.)

There are also some more involved changes you can make for a bigger front-end lift that would be VERY easy to make with the engine out - some coolant and brake lines and the steering shaft all need to be lengthened for more than a 2" body lift, for example.

Hey Herbie, I just signed up over there.

I ended up finding a 1999 AWD Astro LS with 152k miles on it and in great shape. I won't be swapping any engines out just yet...

I'm looking forward to diving into another build.

Thanks all,
Cam

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles