Water resistant 2m radio

craig333

Expedition Leader
I have a Yaesu 8800 in my truck and while its a fine radio (small finicky knobs not withstanding) I'd like something a little more water resistant for the Jeep. Dual band preferably. I've been just carrying a handheld in the Jeep and thats fine for trail use but not so much hitting repeaters.

Last edited:

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
So you want a water resistant mobile? The only one I can think of are the old Yaesu FTM-10R. That was designed for motorcycles and Jeeps. But it's been long since discontinued so you might have to do some searching and eBay watching.

That said, if all you need is one band I'd probably be looking at old commercial VHF radios (old Motorola radios will definitely take a beating) or their close ham cousins. I'd be expect a Kenwood TM-281 or Yaesu FT-2900 to take quite a bit of punishment, at least short of submersion.

Klierslc

Explorer
With a good external antenna, your handheld may get the job done just fine. Add a speaker mic and call it good. I run a dedicated mobile in my land cruiser and an HT with a power port adapter, external antenna, and speaker mic in the Tacoma. The dedicated mobile is certainly better but I can use the HT setup equally well in the majority of my local travel. Back country travel hasn't been tested yet but 50w always beats 8w....

craig333

Expedition Leader
Already outbid out on an FTM-10 :( Unfortunately the Jeep leaks like a sieve, not to mention I've nearly submerged the CB on a water crossing.

craig333

Expedition Leader
That'd go perfect with my chinese antenna. I'm going to try a magnet mount on the hood and see how annoying that is. As long as I don't fold down the windshield at least.

Old_School

With a good external antenna, your handheld may get the job done just fine. Add a speaker mic and call it good. I run a dedicated mobile in my land cruiser and an HT with a power port adapter, external antenna, and speaker mic in the Tacoma. The dedicated mobile is certainly better but I can use the HT setup equally well in the majority of my local travel. Back country travel hasn't been tested yet but 50w always beats 8w....

I ran an HT & external antenna for 3-4 years when I first got my Ham ticket and never felt like I was underpowered. I later got a used 20W amp to use with it, but didn't seem like it added much, except in extreme backcountry areas. When I finally got a dedicated dual-band mobile that could output 50 watts, I discovered I was using the 15W setting more often than not.

So I agree, a good water resistant HT might be a good alternative where water ingress could be a problem.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Aren't most HT's decently water resistant? I know my Yaesu FT-50 has rubber knobs and plugs to cover up likely water entry points. I think it will put out 5w at full power which is probably enough to hit most repeaters.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
You know, another options is mounting the radio in an ammo can. I know some guys run ammo cans as center consoles in their Jeeps. With the lid on it will be 100% waterproof and if you're doing a water crossing you just pop the lid on. If you go under you're not going to do down with the truck anyway, so you won't need to keep talking on it.

craig333

Expedition Leader
I have an ammo can between the seats. Unfortunately these old Jeeps are small and lack storage. If I had a place for all the stuff in the can now that'd be a good option.

It is easier, somewhat, to keep a handheld dry. I worry too much. The CB isn't waterproof and I haven't drowned it yet...

Speaking of CB, it doesn't get much use and that spot would better filled with the ham radio. Thinking of just using a handheld (with the existing external antenna) for those times I do need CB.

Frdmskr

Adventurer
Not sure how your mobile is getting wet unless you are running through really deep water with doors off. If that is your normal use, then just get a commercial radio. Used ones are under $200 easily and do 50w. You might even look into used military gear. I have less familiarity with them but I know there are VHF sets out there folks use.

Otherwise, most any mobile you buy is fine.

For HTs, the Yaesu HTs are often sealed good. I think the VX7r I have is. That also poses a problem in that the microphone and speaker can be less than ideal because of the waterproof membrane covering them. Again, look at used commercial stuff here too. Figure if the fire service uses it, it has to be water resistant at the least.

craig333

Expedition Leader
Installed the TYT TH-8600 today. Works sort of. Can't get the thing to go above 146 yet. I'm sure its one of those that'll make me go doh when I figure it out. I'll post a pic once I get the antenna permanently installed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles