Leaf spring selection

75SUB4X4

Ok, so I am having a hard time deciding on what leaf springs to purchase. I have a 75SUB4x4 1T axles, NV4500 and plan on having a overall fully loaded equipment capacity of about 600-800lb. I want a 6" overall lift, with 35 tires. I have considered custom springs (atlas/OFD) but the cost is a little crazy. I am seriously considering Pro comp for their load capacity and cost, but would like to get some different perspectives. Thoughts?

nitro_rat

Lunchbox Lockers
6” is a lot of lift for 35’s on one of these. 33’s fit stock with a minor trim that’s hard to notice. I just put Tuff Country HD 2” springs on my 84 diesel burb and I think it will clear 35’s with the same minor trim. In fact, I think I may take the springs back off as it’s so tall!

A friend of mine runs 37’s on his ‘burb with a custom junkyard spring set that nets about 4” of lift. Another runs 35’s on his K5 with no lift, just trimmed the rust off around the wheel wells. Another runs 38.5’s with a 6” on his K5.

The Tuff Country springs are usually the best off the shelf spring for these. The HD’s are for big block/diesel trucks. The ride is nice with these too.

Up to 6” will still ride and flex ok usually. With the 6” springs you’ll be able to fit 38’s though.

sdtrucksprings.com usually has the best price on the springs. Check with offroaddesign.com for best shock fit options. They have a custom valved Bilstein for the front that will probably fit the stock shock mount in the front with a 6” spring.

AlexCold

Observer
While agree with Kingsize, Deaver is my preferred choice I can understand the cost might be out of some peoples willingness.

Since this a squarebody we're talking about, I would consider ORD's opinion to be the best. They have their custom springs made by Atlas like you said, but you don't like the cost. They seem to recommend the Tuff Country springs, and go into some detail on which would work best for you.

My question to you is why do you need a 6" lift for 35" tires? I clear 33" tires without a lift on my K20 Sub, and I could probably clear 35" with a little trimming. For 35" tires I would only maybe install at 2" lift in the front and a rear shackle flip in the rear and that's at about $500. Guess I'm just wondering why you want the 6" lift?

ClovisMan

Observer
4 inch lift fits 35s with no trimming. I would do a rear shackle-flip with some of the Heavy-Duty repalcement springs from SDtrucksprings.com and use Tuff country front 4 inch lift springs if I were to do it all over again. Oh yeah...and Bilstein shocks.

75SUB4X4

one of the reasons I am interested in a 6" lift is from a recommendation from ORD with how much articulation I am looking to get and the 35s. Its not just about clearing tires, but also max articulation given my budget. I looked at ORD custom springs AND atlas, but the they are both back ordered for months, plus I just cant justify a set of leaf springs @ $1,400 compared to $500-800 for a set of off the shelf.

I am still on the fence about the 35 tires, might go up to 37s...clearance isn't really an issue, as I am ok about trimming. If I can get away with 4" lift, with a shackle flip, that might work well with 35s.

Johnston

Observer
To help fit 35" tires with 4" lift is to move the front axle forward ward an inch. I bit the bullet and bought ORD custom front springs with moved the axle 1" forward. The previously owner cut the back of the fenders but not very well. I have not had time to wheel it yet so can't tell you yet how it handles or clears the fenders. I also removed about 5" off the front of the fender "The fang"(The black fender) I think I could fit 37" if I trimmed the rest of the fender but keep the inner fender(the blue fender).
56fa8c8103f14c08baa4ce699238e962.jpg
807483df5027b438109e1b5419e8f01c.jpg

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

theblindchicken

Rule of thumb for squarebodies typically is:

Offroad:
4" lift - 33's
6" lift - 35's

Street only:
2" lift - 33's
4" lift - 35's

I have a tuff country 4" lift ez rides in the front and rubbed very quickly during any flexing. Street was fine. Bumped it up to 5" and still have a little bit of rubbing. I won't trim fenders anymore unless absolutely necessary.

Rear i've got the ORD 4" shackle flip with their stock length HD shackles (i think 4.5"). Shocks are rancho rs9000xl series. Rides pretty nice.

At 4" you'll need a minimum of a drop pitman arm. 6" you need a raised steering arm and maybe still the drop pitman arm otherwise you'll have limited steering radius.

Hope all that helps.

MTCK

Observer
I’ve had skyjacker, tuff country, ranch and off road design (alcan) lift springs on these trucks. If you can swing it, the ORD (and I’m sure Deaver too) sure are nice.

Current setup is 4” springs, 2.5” shackle reversal and zero rate out back (soon to be installed longer super shackles to get level with the camper on) 5150 shocks with extended mounts up front, sway bar correction / disconnects, D60 steering arm spacer, braided extended brake lines, unbolt flip and weld on shock tabs out back. ORD has the recipe figured out.

It’s possible to get the 35’s to touch the fenders up front. Not common but possible.

AlexCold

Observer
one of the reasons I am interested in a 6" lift is from a recommendation from ORD with how much articulation I am looking to get and the 35s. Its not just about clearing tires, but also max articulation given my budget. I looked at ORD custom springs AND atlas, but the they are both back ordered for months, plus I just cant justify a set of leaf springs @ $1,400 compared to $500-800 for a set of off the shelf.

I am still on the fence about the 35 tires, might go up to 37s...clearance isn't really an issue, as I am ok about trimming. If I can get away with 4" lift, with a shackle flip, that might work well with 35s.

Hmm, I would say that they're probably talking about with their springs. I think with 35s you can get by fine with a 4" lift. But If you want the 6" lift then go for it, it's you're truck, make it yours!

For reference, here is a stock K20 Sub with 285/75R16 (So about 32.5" tires) with the grandpa steps. I would agree that with 35s I would want to push the axle forward, but that's easy with a zero-rate.
35092187393_00d57498eb_c.jpg

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
I will shop price on some things but not springs. Atlas springs are worth the money. On the big stuff, it's better to do it the right way, and do it only once. You won't save any money by settling for second best and doing it all over again when the shortcomings are revealed.

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
I guess you guys have never heard of BDS suspension? A 2 inch stock lift on a school Chevy pick-up will easy give you good clearance for 35s. I run 37s on my 79 Chevy. Search the best springs on the market witht hte best garantee. BDS. Cheers, Chilli....:):)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles