More Gen 2 seat questions

mtnblue

Observer
I am a reasonably tall guy 6'3" and when I am driving my '95 SR, with my electric seat all the way back, my knees are almost touching the dash- its a pretty tight fit, and I'd like to have my knees at least 3" from the dash. A friend of mine who has the 95 LS is at least a couple inches taller than me and he says he has plenty of leg room. Is there a difference between seating in the driver's compartment between both types of seats? Any simple recommendations on how I can move my seat back? If perhaps the LS or bouncy seat gives me more room, I may consider looking into that. It would be a shame to toss out my front leather seats though, as they are in immaculate condition.

Or perhaps, are there other comfortable seats from other vehicles (with arm-rests) that would fit within the tight side to side spacing of the Gen 2, since I would also possibly repositioning the track of my original seat anyway? I did an extensive google search for seat swaps for the gen 2 and after reviewing over 100 posts, came up with nothing.

Doing_Dirt

I am only 5'11" and had similar issues with a '72 Datsun 240 Z.
My easy fix was to remove the drivers seat and redrill new holes in the floor boards a few inches back.
The good news is that car did not come with rear seats so I didn't sacrifice much behind me.
Not sure if you need the space behind you for a full size passenger, but something to think about.

Good luck, hope it goes well.

PacS14

Adventurer
I am a reasonably tall guy 6'3" and when I am driving my '95 SR, with my electric seat all the way back, my knees are almost touching the dash- its a pretty tight fit, and I'd like to have my knees at least 3" from the dash. A friend of mine who has the 95 LS is at least a couple inches taller than me and he says he has plenty of leg room. Is there a difference between seating in the driver's compartment between both types of seats? Any simple recommendations on how I can move my seat back? If perhaps the LS or bouncy seat gives me more room, I may consider looking into that. It would be a shame to toss out my front leather seats though, as they are in immaculate condition.

Or perhaps, are there other comfortable seats from other vehicles (with arm-rests) that would fit within the tight side to side spacing of the Gen 2, since I would also possibly repositioning the track of my original seat anyway? I did an extensive google search for seat swaps for the gen 2 and after reviewing over 100 posts, came up with nothing.
Why don't you ask him if you can try it out, maybe the power seats have a shorter travel than manual seats, if so, manual seats might be in order for you.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

mtnblue

Observer
Why don't you ask him if you can try it out, maybe the power seats have a shorter travel than manual seats, if so, manual seats might be in order for you.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

I will next time I see him. He lives 200 miles away. I was just wondering if anyone else had the issue and what solutions they found. Searching the internet brings back pretty much nothing. My guess is there is more than a handful of people larger than 6'3" who drive Monteros..... I would think.....

nckwltn

Explorer
Take a couple of measurements with photos showing where you measured to.... I have manual seats on my 99 (they are bouncy seats from a gen 2) I can double check the measurement on mine.

I'm 6'3" and I don't find the driver's seat cramped for knee room.... But perhaps I'm just acustom to it by now.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

mtnblue

Observer
Take a couple of measurements with photos showing where you measured to.... I have manual seats on my 99 (they are bouncy seats from a gen 2) I can double check the measurement on mine.

I'm 6'3" and I don't find the driver's seat cramped for knee room.... But perhaps I'm just acustom to it by now.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

Perfect..... tomorrow I will do that. How much do you weigh? I heard the bouncy seats lose their bounciness at around 250 lbs. I am 240 (and trying to get back down to 210).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles