Smartphone 12v Battery Monitors

Airmapper

Inactive Member
Has anyone had much experience with these? As much as we all nerd out on our electrical setups, I figured I would have read about these here instead of stumbling on them on Amazon.

I found this and it looks awesome: https://www.amazon.com/Quicklynks-B...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=A95ZSBMVT5K6Y2SKNB5T

But I don't get a good vibe from it's foreign nature, apps seems to ask for a lot of permissions per the (Google Play) reviews. Just seems sketchy.

There is also this from CTEK: https://www.amazon.com/CTEK-40-149-CTX-Battery-Sense/dp/B0188TGF6W

But it's not well received either, and doesn't seem to be as feature rich. I do like CTEK better as a name brand though.

However, I would like a monitor, and these type devices seem like an almost a perfect solution. The phone alerts may let me know if I have a problem brewing, or the alternator gives it up unexpectedly, heck I could see whats going on from the comfort of my RTT if I'm powering a fridge or some such constant drain device and am concerned.

I really don't need a monitor in the cab as the time I'll be most concerned with battery status is when the truck is not running, plus my cockpit space is already getting constrained with gadgets, and adding a feature to a phone/tablet already in use as a MFD is an efficient use of space. (For that matter my OBDII port Bluetooth can already monitor and alert on voltage, but only when the truck is key-on and the ECU active.)

Thoughts? Opinions? Observations? Not really perplexed by this or needing help, but I know the more electrically inclined participants here will have interesting things to say and might know of some other cool gadgets.

pdxfrogdog

Adventurer
I considered the CTEK unit, but passed on it because I wanted more comprehensive info than voltage. Ended up with a Victron BMV 712 on my house battery so I can track amps in/out of the system and more. Might be total overkill for you.

I seem to recall reading somewhere that the CTEK was not an instant read of system voltage so it may or may not tell you want you want to know.

[EDIT] Just looking at voltage isn't that useful... I suppose it's an OK proxy once that battery has sat for a while with no charge or consumers, but under use you'll see substantial variations in voltage if your fridge or something is cycling or if a charge source is on it (solar), etc.

Last edited:

Steve F

Adventurer
I just use the bluetooth on my solar charger (Victron), it only tells me the voltage in regard to the state of the battery but also tells me how the solar is charging the battery etc which is more useful to me. I have a tablet on the dash of my Jeep and the bluetooth can connect to the trailer most of the time or when in camp or in the camper I can check from the phone if I think the solar panels need to be moved or worried due to cloud.

Cheers
Steve

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles