7.3L engine life?

Village Idiot
As some of you know, I have a 99 Ford E-350 7.3L with 355k on it right now.

I'm working on a UJOR 4WD kit right now, but worried that after I spend all the money on 4WD (which I'm doing no matter what), that my engine with poop the bed.

Maybe this winter I will pull the engine and refresh it. But was wondering how many miles can I expect before I start having lower engine problems?

Or when is it a good sign to rebuild? What can I do in the mean time? Like maybe injectors, HPOP?

I would love to upgrade the cam, injectors, and turbo at some point for more power.

Any advice would help. Thanks.

MattF350

Observer
I will disclaimer that Im not a mechanic, I barely know where the engine is.
However, if stories are true, Ive seen the 7.3s easily double your numbers, as Bbasso has shown. I think key is maintaining it, just like anything else you want to last as long as possible. If I were to get an older diesel, itd be the 7.3 no doubt.

Village Idiot
Good news to hear. I REALLY take care of this thing. Always doing extra maintenance, etc.. It's going to get a Racor fuel filter system soon too.

Thanks fellas.

gmtech

Observer
watch some diesel tech Ron videos on youtube. and powerstroke help videos. two channels ive been watching. very informative on common problems and lack of maintenance uses .

hogasm

Observer
Just returned from Daytona pulling 2 bikes with 610,000 on 97 E350
Would take her to Nova Scotia tomorrow......well in July!!!!!

DWitcher

Your really at the mercy of the previous owner(s) as to how they maintained the engine. Best this you can do is keep up on the maintenance and hope for the best. I recently bought a '96 with 303k miles and didn't think twice about mileage. It is what it is. Cheers.

Petrolburner

Explorer
I figure the bottom end is good for a half a million miles unless abused for high horsepower. If you're still on the original injectors like you mentioned in my thread, that's probably the cause of any less than perfect characteristics you're seeing. Smoke on startup from fuel drip into the cylinders after shut down, lack of smoothness, power and/or efficiency. $2,000 for new injectors and a tune and I think you'll be really happy. That's what I'm planning to do. That and a turbo rebuild with a new billet wheel. I don't need any more power than that will give.

I'm just regurgitating info that I've read, watched, heard and makes sense to me.

Petrolburner

Explorer
Your oil sees a lot of pressure because of the style of fuel injection. That makes it important to use good oil and change it on time. Good clean fuel is always important too.

Drizzt

Free Sarcasm Available
If you replace the injectors you may want to do a compression test while you're in there. I checked mine when replacing injectors/cups at 275K because the motor started burning oil and they were all still within factory spec. I do regret not doing the glowplugs at the same time, already that far into it you may was well replace them at the same time. I also have oil analysis done every oil change as it can give indications of potential problems developing. Personally I'd stay away from bigger cams, injectors and turbos, but that's just me.

broncobowsher

Adventurer
The 7.3 loves long drives. If that is how it is driven, lots of miles left. My uncle lost his at 300k but it was due to a bad injector screwing up a cylinder. So while they can last for stupid long time, it doesn't take much to kill one in short order if things go wrong.

I also know of a 6.0 that is over 500k and the deepest they ever got into the engine was a rear main seal. Lived its whole life pulling a 3-car trailer. Nice long drives. Rare for it to run less than an hour at a time. No issues with EGR cooler or head studs like those that were just driven to work and back during the week.

zerskier

Observer
20160414_140922.jpg

this is from when i had my 2002 e350 7.3, i didn't put all the miles on it but as far as i know the engine only had a set of injectors and a turbo replaced. it was on its third drivers seat though

20151208_132629.jpg

cjken

Explorer
Great thread!
Wow. I guess mine is a baby at 73k!!
Good to hear.
I’ve had an IDM go bad. Had to do water pump, put I a big GPR, replaced vacuum pump. This spring I will track down belt/idler/accessory noise. Hopefully it is just the belt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles