Jeep J20 advice

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
Just had lunch with a friend and after lunch we walked down his road to where a new house was going in and on a vacant piece of land (mountains) sits a Jeep J20 4wd truck. I ask about it and he says it's been sitting for a couple of years cause the owner doesn't drive it. Cool looking truck and I've been looking for something cause the wife wants an old 4wd truck for the mountains and asked if it's for sale and he says that the guy would probably let it go for $500. I asked him to check on it for me. I know nothing about J20's, so any help and advice would be helpful. Here's the discription:

Jeep J20 Pickup Truck
Unknown year
4wd
Brown paint with sun fade
No rust
White factory steel wheels with 4 flat tires
V8 (unknown if runs)
Manual transmission
Worn out interior and dash, but not all cut up
Front of roof that hangs over windshield (roof visor?)
Bed looks good but has an old snow plow in it (no plow attachment on front) with tailgate
Factory front and rear steel bumpers that look good

Any advice pro or con would appreciated! Thanks.

Last edited:

trailscape

Explorer
Yeah. I'd buy it. But, tread carefully and have a plan as these little gems can easily spiral into money pits.

It sounds like a 74 or earlier I think. Expect some wiring bugs to work out. Give that a good look over. Check around the windshield for rot. Typical floorboard issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
Yeah. I'd buy it. But, tread carefully and have a plan as these little gems can easily spiral into money pits.

It sounds like a 74 or earlier I think. Expect some wiring bugs to work out. Give that a good look over. Check around the windshield for rot. Typical floorboard issues.

Thanks! Any idea about the reliability of the engines and transmission on that year? Are they unique "AMC/Jeep" stuff that's difficult to source parts for or they like old Chevys and Fords where you can parts anywhere?

DGarman

What could go wrong?
The difference between a money pit and an investment is all in your perception.....
If your wife is on board...... all the better!

Engine parts are not as prevalent as Fords or Chevys..... but..... NAPA has always come up with anything I need for my '78 Wagoneer or '77 J-10...... both with AMC 401s......
Of course, AMC used lots of Ford and Chevy parts on their trucks.....
AMC cast the displacement under the motor mounts...... you can look to see if it has a 360 or 401.

You'll become good friends with the NAPA guys.....

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
Thanks Dennis.

Btw, from one hole puncher to another, that's some beautiful leather work you do!

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
Haven't heard back regarding this truck. But, from some of the research I've done and depending on the year of the truck it maybe a nightmare to get licensed in Boulder Co. due to the emissions testing requirement. Not sure until I learn more about it, but certainly something I'm going to have to keep in mind.

trailscape

Explorer
If you get it I have a pile of parts left from my J10 that might have something useful for you in it.

mallthus

Pretty good at some stuff
maybe a nightmare to get licensed in Boulder Co. due to the emissions testing requirement.

If it’s a 75 or older, it’s emissions exempt in BoCo. If it’s newer, it only needs to meet standards at time of production, which were pretty lax for a truck in the late 70s.

Parts wise, they’re a real hodge podge, with GM and Mopar transmissions, Saginaw steering boxes, and other weirdness.

Good resources here...International Full Size Jeep Association

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
There was an EXCEPTIONAL J10/J20 Expedition built Jeep at SEMA last November. Actually one of my favorite vehicles displayed at SEMA 2017.

Do a web search and you should be able to find pictures of the truck. LOT'S of work and money spent on the truck however it just goes to show what can be done when creating an overland type of vehicle with money, work and vision on a none mainstream type of vehicle.

Attachments

• Sema 2017 jeep.jpg
    Sema 2017 jeep.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94