Roof design examples and comment

grizzlyj

Tea pot tester
Nice thread :)

Since, for example, an Alaskan will be tucked up and protected behind the cab, and its design means it can't really be made to be impact proof from branches etc, I wonder if a hard side pop-top will generally be lighter than a similarly sized hard sider?

I know there are a lot of variables, but if I was looking at doing what Iain is doing I know it will be in harms way and would want it to be fairly tree proof. If an Alaskan ended up entirely behind the cab it wouldn't need to be as tough, so could be lighter?

With a Mog you could also have the bed mounted on an X-frame, so the mechanism to allow for a 3-way tipper would make the back easy to forklift off and on for sliding in a container. Even without that, the Mog flatbed mount is only ten bolts I think, realignment to refit might be a bit tricky but you wouldn't be doing it that often! Then any Mog as long as it doesn't have a high roof cab will (I'm told!) fit in a hi-cube container (wheels off, maybe front mud guards and wheel studs too, for the bigger ones).

I'm not convinced that a soft sided camper is any better than a tent! And since its above the vehicle and sitting up in the wind surely its worse?!?

Jason

:)

Greg

Observer
Some interesting designs of folding trailers (folding caravans) from Europe:

Gobur caravan and Pennine caravan are both popup roof designs with four hard sides
see trade show video on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYbpTW3gkYk&feature=related
http://www.goburcaravans.co.uk/carousel-folding-caravans/how-they-work/

Riva folding caravan has soft sides but is different because of the soft side material. They advertise this material has insulation quality but more important can be stored wet indefinitely until ready to go camping again.
youtube video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gguRitxY23E&feature=related
home page http://www.rivadandysales.co.uk/

Nilton J

Adventurer
Nice topic!

I would like to know if anybody has an idea of how I could seal the water ingress in the inferior part of the pop up?

I'm building a pop up to fit my Defender 110. Will use rigid "walls", very similar project to this one of Ex-tec.

I need some advice about how make the seal of the side walls with the base of the pop up (where all the water of the rain get to).

Thanks.

View attachment 108360View attachment 108361

Loras,

Many congrats ! And very nice pic !!

I am presently designing a sort of a popup camper for our local medium size crew cab trucks, so let me ask you:

1. what kind of "rigid wall" did you use?

2. How did you insulated it?

3. How did you solve the "seal issue"?

Saúde!

Nilton J

Adventurer
Chip Haven,

Very clever & useful thread!

I am presently designing a sort of a popup camper for our local medium size crew cab trucks (New Ford Ranger, New Chevy S10, Nissan Frontier, Toyota Hilux and Mit Triton)..

Fortunately, no bears in Brazil! neither extreme cold weather!!

So, on behalf of beaulty, slim profile, aerodynamics, better mpg and lightness, I will choose a popup style.

However, still many toughts in mind, still to define the best approach considering the minimum use of fabric as possible.

Also, to achieve the lowest cost as possible, the design will consider the "bed tube mounting" instead of the "flat tray one".

Possible design options are :

ActiveCamper.jpg

IMG_0947.jpg

camper20.JPG

Below is my favorite option, something similar to the Jeep Action Camper, however having a slimmer roof front:

Jeep-Action-Camper-1.jpg

I am quite open to any new ideas, comments and suggestions from EXPO's readers, since I am still brainstorming.

The below attached image is a F250 brazilian custom popup camper, designed and built in Manaus State by a very clever person.

Attachments

• 434429d1381372495t-flippac-camper-nacional-para-nossas-picapes-cam00019.jpg
    434429d1381372495t-flippac-camper-nacional-para-nossas-picapes-cam00019.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 952
Last edited:

slowtwitch

Adventurer
IMO the best would be a pop up with fabric on the outside, and lockable panels on the inside. Raise roof.. light with fabric..no hydros needed.. the fabric keeping weather out, then lock in the 4 sides, thereby having hard sides all round. Leave down hard sides in hot weather? Top strong enough to handle a canoe, etc.
I always get a chuckle at the 100k$ plus rigs that when the weather is foul, are just glorified tents, and extra elevated/exposed at that.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
"best" is always a relative term.

For the full-timer or one that uses their rig for extended periods, regardless of weather, "best" will not be a soft side anything.

"best" for those types will most certainly be a fixed hardside. Never a concern about weather, nothing to wear out, no worries.

"best" for those with overall height concerns will be a hardside pop top. More complicated and more to go wrong, but weather is never a concern.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz