Possibly buying a G500 Europa

rrneill

There is a 2000 G500 Europa that is for sale that has about 100K mile on it. I went a saw it today and it look pretty clean....minimal rust, no leaking fluids, was not repainted. Before I go an get it inspected by a mechanic I was wonder if there some other things I should be looking out for. He currently wants $45K for it.
I really wanted to get an older w460 with a diesel engine but the resto-mod of doing all of that is kinda of out of my budget. I like the minimal electronic on the older G's but again I worry about cost and findings parts. If there is known mechanical or electrical faults on this this year model it would really help me out.

Also I don't mind questions (and I'm pretty thick skinned).

Thanks for the help guys.
Ross

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
Seems like if you have a budget of $45K for a 2000 G500 then you could afford a well sorted Gwagon from the early 1990s which was 25 years old to bring into the USA... especially since you are not in California.

Lots of nice one come up now and then.

Here is a nice one

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:

DUTCH

Curmudgeon
He's in Tejas, not Californicate.

I, personally, would not trade my Europa Int'l 2000 G500 for any of the newer ones, except, possibly if MBUSA were to bring in a diesel; but that is not going to happen.

rrneill

That's right, I'm in Texas and the G500 is a LWB (which is what I'm looking for). I have 4 kids and was wanting to get them all packed in there for now with maybe a trailer down the road for all the other gear that will need.
I'm just wondering if $45K is a good deal. I know the 2002's are cheaper but have more electrical issues.

safariguy

Observer
I have owned a 2003 G500 and was in the market for a Europa when I sold the 2003, but I have to say that $45k is really really on the high side for such a vehicle. I know they are in demand, but that's still a high price, unless it's spotless and you have to do nothing to it from a deferred maintenance standpoint.

otiswesty

Regular guy
That green G500 looks super nice and is likely worth close to asking price. For an 18 year old car, it clearly has the look of an enthusiast owned second vehicle. The color is very nice as well, almost never see that. Would be a pretty cool daily driver.

A 461/460 would be nice as well, but is a completely different type of vehicle

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne