Offset for 35x12.5 on gen 3 Montero

houstman

I just got an '03 Montero Limited and want to put 35" tires on it. I have an OME HD 2" lift on the way and if I swap out the diffs for the 4.9s from an XLS, the revs will be almost spot on compared to factory with the new 35 inch tires. From a quick drawing I have done of the wheel turn of the potential 35s v the stock 30 inch tires, I think I need to change the offest by about 63.5 mm. The stock rims have a +20 mm offset, so if I get new rims with around -43.5 or greater I should be able to clear most of fender walls, right? (I am OK with ripping and cutting the fender walls too to stuff them in there)

Anyone have experience with this? I know most of you run 33s on your stock rims.

This should push the edge of the tires about 1.25-1.5" outside the stock plastic fender flares (currently the stock tires sit about 2 inches inside the flares)... I'll probably build some new flares or order from one of the guys in Iceland who build such things for the Arctic rigs.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
255/85r16 is a better size for the gen 3, given the fitment headaches the 35's will not gain you enough over the 255's to be worthwhile, not to mention the OME will not clear 35's without spacers.

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
34x10.5R17, suspension lift doesn't matter in Gen 3's because the geometry is fixed. Look up montypower's gitout gen 3, he ran 35's then went to the 34's and it was totally capable.

It's worth noting that Gen 3's only have 95mm front CV's which are strong enough for 35's but they do break under severe service. Maybe Gen 4's have 100's but I'm not sure.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
34x10.5R17, suspension lift doesn't matter in Gen 3's because the geometry is fixed. Look up montypower's gitout gen 3, he ran 35's then went to the 34's and it was totally capable.

It's worth noting that Gen 3's only have 95mm front CV's which are strong enough for 35's but they do break under severe service. Maybe Gen 4's have 100's but I'm not sure.

The downside is there are only 2 options in this size, the ko2's (actually measure closer to 33's) and swampers, in the 255's I believe there are 5 options and fit stock wheels.

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
At least one of the options is s really good tire and the other is a tractor tire. Ha ha ha, swampers are cool sometimes.

houstman

The downside is there are only 2 options in this size, the ko2's (actually measure closer to 33's) and swampers, in the 255's I believe there are 5 options and fit stock wheels.

I had KO2s on my last truck, and they were rubbish if I ever got into mud. Whatever I choose will definitely be MT tires.

houstman

255/85r16 is a better size for the gen 3, given the fitment headaches the 35's will not gain you enough over the 255's to be worthwhile, not to mention the OME will not clear 35's without spacers.

I am aware the 35s won't clear without spacers (I am intend to just buy new rims with large enough negative offset that I won't have to deal with spacers). I have no issue with a wide stance on the rig, as I will likely buy or build special fender flares to keep the gunk from flying everywhere. I am just hoping that if someone has experience with the 35s they could tell me how much offset they went with.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
I am aware the 35s won't clear without spacers (I am intend to just buy new rims with large enough negative offset that I won't have to deal with spacers). I have no issue with a wide stance on the rig, as I will likely buy or build special fender flares to keep the gunk from flying everywhere. I am just hoping that if someone has experience with the 35s they could tell me how much offset they went with.

I wasn't talking about wheel spacers, I was referring to the suspension, 35's will not clear with just the OME coils unless you start cutting and raise the fender arch away from the tires. BTW, most 35in M/T's measure closer to 33.5-34in and will gain you very little over the 255's that measure 33.5in. For reference http://www.jkfreaks.com/forums/showthread.php?8337-Actual-tire-height-VS-advertised and http://www.ttora.com/forum/5-tires-wheels/135290-255-85r16-v-285-75r16-battle-33s.html

plh

Explorer
I have 285/75R16 and OME coils on my '05, stock wheels - I rub sometimes. 35s will rub a lot.

houstman

I have 285/75R16 and OME coils on my '05, stock wheels - I rub sometimes. 35s will rub a lot.
So, if you were to get aftermarket wheels where the offset would move your tires 1.5-2.5" out would they still rub?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94