Jeep's Rollover Protection

southpier

Expedition Leader
most (albeit few) jeeps I've seen have a pretty elaborate (read: jungle-gym) roll cage from the factory.

when almost any modification gets done to the interior, how are all the bars handled? built around/ cut through?

this is just thought fodder now, but will become seriously relevant in 12 months.

thanks

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Lots of storage systems build around and/or clamp to them. My drawer/shelf system I built actually clamps to the roll bar with u-bolts and my cargo cage straps to the upper bar with webbing and buckles.

If you do a full-blown camper or pop up like an Ursa Minor or something, I think there are ways to relocate the rear crossmember further back and make more vertical room, but it involves cutting, grinding, and maybe welding.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
If you do a full-blown camper or pop up like an Ursa Minor or something, I think there are ways to relocate the rear crossmember further back and make more vertical room, but it involves cutting, grinding, and maybe welding.

That's exactly what I did, tons of pictures and the full explanation in the following two links
(Yes, I know the corners of the roll bar are not super strong. It's fine. I have done 30,000 miles through West Africa with it and wouldn't change a thing)

http://theroadchoseme.com/jeep-build-phase-1-complete
http://theroadchoseme.com/ursa-minor-j30-pop-up-camper

-Dan

FireJeep

What a great life you have made for yourself!!!! I am envious! I wish I knew how to finance such a trip, I retire in a few years and dream of doing something like this. Of course my 05 LJ Rubi would need some serious modifications, but my little M416 trailer could probably hand with it..... keep up the great write ups!!!

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
What a great life you have made for yourself!!!! I am envious! I wish I knew how to finance such a trip, I retire in a few years and dream of doing something like this. Of course my 05 LJ Rubi would need some serious modifications, but my little M416 trailer could probably hand with it..... keep up the great write ups!!!

Cheers! I wrote quite a bit about how I finance these trips. It's really just a matter of priorities.
http://theroadchoseme.com/work-less-to-live-your-dreams

-Dan

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
most (albeit few) jeeps I've seen have a pretty elaborate (read: jungle-gym) roll cage from the factory.

when almost any modification gets done to the interior, how are all the bars handled? built around/ cut through?

this is just thought fodder now, but will become seriously relevant in 12 months.

thanks

Back when I was doing semi extreme trails I would expand the factory roll bar (build around) to include a top loop with a diagonal bar, a windshield loop (with a bar across just above the dash. and a diagonal bar from the passenger side floor
to the driver's side roll bar corner. the object being to triangulate the bars where ever possible for strength.

Just an opinion but I would prefer not depend on the factory bars in a serious/multiple roll (they are likely OK for flops); the OEM set ups are far from a triangulated roll cage... that said I did see an old CJ with the stock bars after a multi roll down Potato Salad Hill (Moab Ut.) with surprisingly little vehicle damage.

On the TJ I would do similar to with the addition of a cross bar and a diagonal above the rear seating area and probably diagonal bars on each side.

When modifying/ making roll protection; I fish mouth the added bars and grind the paint off the existing bars, bevel the fish mouthed bar and to about half thickness then weld them in place...
I don't believe that I have ever had to cut a roll bar but I have used thick (3/8") plate to take the bar attachment points down to the frame (especially in back).
There are some clamp on cross bars available, I believe; and multi piece weld tighter roll cage kits. (for those without access to a bender).
I can't see clamp in/on bars being as strong as a proper weld, 'though it would likely be better than nothing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online