Triumph Tiger

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
My "main" riding buddy has a 2002 Triumph Tiger, and has used it in our off tarmac jaunts through Mexico and the Southwest. Like any large dualsport...it can be a handfull to pick up when you drop it, and I'd highly recommend some good Touratech armor, but it's always run very well; even in rough conditions, and has never left him stranded.

The powerband is fast, and she'll do the ton (100mph) in no time, and cruise there all day. Guages don't like to be submerged....:sombrero:

Tigers don't float well...

380776897_4thDu-M.jpg

...and even with a bit of armor, you can still put a rock through the clutch cover....

380776926_3KD54-M.jpg

-H-

805gregg

Adventurer
I was sitting in my camp site in San Juanico, BCS. and up rides a guy I met on a V-Strom ride in Nevada. He had ridden the 60+ miles on the north road, alone. And this was not a big guy, except his huevos. Thats a real bad road. He was on his Tiger, it's a great bike, if a dealer is near.

Sleeping Dog

Adventurer
Tiger off road

The early versions were intended to compete with BMW & KTM and had decent soft road capabilities. When the bike was revised in 05(?) they modified the suspension setting to make in more pavement friendly. The current version has a 17" front wheel and is intended to be a street bike.

Jim

1speed

Explorer
Thanks for the input guys. I really am having a hard time figuring out what I want. I like the BMW G650Xchallenge but it has a painfully small tank. About 120 mile range. I should just buy a KLR650 and be done with it but I want some thing a little different. When I was riding street bikes I had a 98 Buell S1W all tricked out and rode the crap out of the unreliable thing. I got tired of fixing it and bought a 99 ZRX1100 (latter day Eddie Lawson replica) and didn't ride it half as much, it just seemed TOO refined. So I would like something with a little character that is still reliable. I realize it may be hard to get both.

1speed

Explorer
Trying to contact the owner of a 97 Tiger on ADV rider, anyone have any experience with these early models?

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
Nice clean bike!

BTW, IIRC, the early TTs, if laid on the left side, have a vent line which can cause sump oil to go directly into the head. Might want to check that out for future reference....ya' never know when it'll lie on its side...

-H-

1speed

Explorer
Road Trip

:jumping: :jumping: Well the deal is done and I'm flying to Norfolk VA Wed. the 15th to ride the bike home. Woo Hoo, road trip. I have 2 1/2 days to get back to Fort Myers FL. Any suggestions for routes or sights along the way? I've never been to VA, NC, or SC. :jumping: :jumping:

Clark White

Explorer
If your coming through Elizabeth City NC (you just about have to, ~30mi south of Norfolk on HW17), you would be more then welcome to stop in for a beer and brunch/lunch! Work starts at 4pm, but if you are coming through before that I'm free. PM if your interested and I'll give you my phone number.

Clark White

Clark White

Explorer
Don't know what your time schedule is, but you could drive through the Outer Banks. Beautiful drive! Depending on how far south you went, you would have to take a couple of ferries, but there are also a few bridge options if you didn't want to go all the way.

Clark

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz