Whats the best gps for offroad navi

JeepinBear

Explorer
I run a nuvi 660 in the Jeep for city navigating and I like the idea of putting the topo on an SD card that a few in this thread have mentioned. I think I'll need to do that soon.

Once I get out of the Jeep my wife and I both have the Garmin RIno 530's. They work great and have saved my Dad's butt a couple of times out hunting.

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
nwoods said:
IThe Baja540 is an extremely capable, frustrating unit. It was designed over a decade ago, and the user interface, lightyears ahead of it's time back then, it's extremely dated now. Hard core users call it "that infernal machine". It does somethings fantastic, like follow tracks stored in memory, such as what the SCORE racing guys do. It has an amazing display, and it's highly configurable to display all sorts of information, in whatever location and size you want right overtop the map without losing the map in the background. Because my Jeep tires are significantly oversized, I use a large format readout of current ground speed as my speedo, and it works great. I also love the BRIGHT, dim, and keep-your-night-vision-dim display settings.
Yep, what he said . . .

You can get an idea of the contrary nature of the 540C by realizing that it's not designed to autoroute you from where you are to where you want to go, which many people would figure was the biggest reason to have a GPS unit. However, the display is a jewel with excellent readability and having a zillion (OK, 40, I think) different zoom levels proves surprisingly handy. I kind of like the buttons over a touch screen when you hands are all muddy, and they don't come any better for letting you know where you've been should you have to retrace your steps.

If one of the canned Lowrance hundred-dollar SD maps cards will meet your backroad needs, then the 540C makes more sense, and my experience using the Northwest area maps on the card has been good. On the other hand, I don't think this would be the optimum unit if you wanted to do a lot of downloading of your own maps.

Willeman

Observer
IMG_2630.jpgHere is my take, based on extensive off road adventures in areas with little or no cell coverage.

1. 3g/4g apple devices work on aGPS (Assisted GPS), and rely heavily on assistance from cell towers. Mostly, they will work out of cell range but its hit or miss and it can take 20-30 minutes to update (and from first hand experience sometimes they never update). If your going to be in areas of good/fair cell coverage then you do not need an external GPS device, however the minute your off the cell grid your going to wish you had one.

2. There are ton of GPS options. My favorite is the Bad Elf GPS pro - its Bluetooth and it will connect up to 5 devices ($130-150 bucks). Use it with an old iPad mounted in your vehicle when driving and with a phone when you go overland by foot - its a real champ! (about $150 from online resellers such as eBay.)

3. Software/aps There are a ton of options, and again it falls to your needs. My favorite is GAIA Pro ($29.00), GAIA has a large selection of map types and layers and you can toggle between the layers (google, USGS topos, Road maps et). It makes it very easy to move from hard top to backcountry and navigate both on foot or vehicle. The important thing to remember is if your off the grid, your programs are only as good as the maps you downloaded to your device before you go off grid and maps eat space. With GAIA, you can pick your regions and map types so it gives a high degree of flexibility.

A few other things to keep in mind if your seriously going remote.

1) Anything with a battery, or moving parts can and will fail. I recommend that your carry a back up hand held GPS - Garmin or the like.
2) Old school is still the most important school. I also carry a compass and paper maps (topo 1:24,000), you can download topos from the USGS, pick them up at your local gear spot or order them directly online. The key is having some idea where you are and the direction your heading at all times. You'd be amazed how many people run with GPS and have no idea where the are. The second GPS is gone, they are lost lost lost. At the very least you should have an exit strategy -i.e. the hard top is 20 miles east of my position - in a pinch you work your way east with a compass....et.

Good luck and high adventure to you brohiem!

Last edited:

stingray1300

Explorer
If anyone is interested, I have a Garmin Zumo 665LM for sale. Includes XM antenna and mounts. 2 years old. Works perfectly. $499
I used it on my ST1300 Honda for rallies. Bike is sold.
PM me if interested.

razzman1

Observer
Sorry to dredge up such an old thread, but I am planning a trip to north Georgia and I'm just getting my feet wet with GPS, and I know little about them. I know it is a little old, but is the Garmin GPSmap 60CS still an acceptable unit? I ask because I was given one, and although it is a little small and outdated, if works OK then it might be a good entry-level unit for me. I am curious if it is modern enough to use .kmz files and up-load routes like you might do with something more modern?

Thanks

Kerensky97

Xterra101
My dad still has his an uses it hiking all the time. It's great if you have the proper maps loaded.

But I don't know about the .kmz compatability, I wouldn't hold my breath.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke